Ritz-Carlton

Updated September 11, 2014
3.8

Ritz-Carlton President and COO Hervé Humler
Hervé Humler

Pros
  • Great people really encompass the values they preach (in 12 reviews)

• Ladies & Gentlemen serving Ladies & Gentlemen (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance may not be as expected in other companies (in 15 reviews)

• Long hours and holidays are hard to get off (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Great work experiance and training

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Avon, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Avon, CO

I have been working at Ritz-Carlton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, freindly and well trained staff.

Cons

Very Demanding of time and performance. Short on staff much of the time.

Less Management and more employees

Overall, a pretty good company to work for

Current Employee - Food and Beverage  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Food and Beverage in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Ritz-Carlton full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Stable company to work for. Great hotel discounts and there is room for advancement* As long as you do your job you shouldn't have problems(like any other company)

Cons

Be prepared to work all hours of the day, weekends, and holidays. *Promotions aren't always based on what you know but who you know. They are a cost cutting company to drive profits as high as possible at the expense of employees and sometimes even guests.

Allow lower management more discretion in firing bad employees instead of making them jump through months of hoops to get them fired.

Front Drive Attendant

Former Employee - Front Drive Attendant
    Former Employee - Front Drive Attendant

I worked at Ritz-Carlton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cool co-workers and competitive hourly pay and tips, flexible schedule and good benefits for a seemingly mindless job. Discounts at other ritz Carlton's and marriotts is nice too.

Cons

HR was terrible and shaving everyday is a nightmare--especially getting called out for it by any fellow employee who you think wouldn't/shouldn't care.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No appreciation or respect for employees.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Ritz-Carlton

Pros

Great co-workers, good pay, good insurance plan.

Cons

Poor middle and upper management. Employees are not appreciated or respected. No support from management towards employees.

Learn how to respect and appreciate your people, a simple well done does wonders. Stand by your people, guests lie sometimes to get free stuff.

Amazing company to work for.

I have been working at Ritz-Carlton full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Salary is great. Great co workers.

Cons

Nothing. Things are fantastic at the Ritz

Keep doing a great job.

Guest Relations Coordinator

Current Employee - Guest Relations  in  Dana Point, CA
    Current Employee - Guest Relations in Dana Point, CA

I have been working at Ritz-Carlton full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Ritz is an amazing company to work for. They offer great benefits and treat their employees well. They offer great training and a company that will look great on a resume. If your interested in the hospitality industry, it just get much better than The Ritz!

Cons

starting pay is not as good as you think... you definitely have to work your way up. If you wanna make it high up in the company you might even have to travel to different properties and move around in the company. If your on the operations side, expect to work weekends and nights. Hotels operate 24/7 so dont expect your typical 9-5 schedule!

Great company with great benefits

I have been working at Ritz-Carlton

Pros

Had many Opportunites for advancement

Cons

Was not as flexible with the hours

Good company to work for. Good opportunity to move upward if willing to put in time to learn the business.

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Ritz-Carlton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

personal growth, above average compensation, friendly co-workers

Cons

Other employees not committed to corporate culture.

Its hard to deliver a high level of service if certain employees aren't committed to the same ideals. Upper management knows what to do better than myself. Experienced and engaged.

Fantastic company, dedicated staff

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Ritz-Carlton part-time for less than a year

Pros

This company is very true to their beliefs, my location lived and breathed it's dedication to making the guest happy and comfortable. The employees are treated exceptionally well by upper management and by their peers. There is a great deal of respect between staff members, even if they don't speak the same language. I had a really great experience with HR when I did encounter a problem. There seemed to be good opportunity to move up, or change departments if something wasn't working out. This company does seem to want everyone to succeed. Pay was very reasonable to what was expected, great benefits.

Cons

The beliefs of the company were repeated so often they began to feel like brainwashing. You are expected to be cheerful at all times and to cater your personality towards the customer even if they might have responded well to the real you. You are taught to use pleasant vocabulary and forced to make conversation with customers that always ended up sounding fake. You are also to required to coax facts and preferences out of guests by way of conversation making and enter it into a software system so that the company can better bater to their needs. It's CREEPY. I also received very little training for a job I had no experience with, and basically thrown in the water.

Expect professionalism from your employees, but let their real personalities shine through. If everyone adheres exactly to the code of conduct you will have a staff of robots.

Eager, Ambitious, Well Educated... Door Attendant? (I was a Guest Relations Coordinator.)

Former Employee - Guest Relations  in  Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Guest Relations in Arlington, VA

I worked at Ritz-Carlton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The name looks good on a resume, and you do get a discount on rooms with Marriott, based on availability of course.

Cons

I was led to believe that my prior experience, as well as my enthusiasm would lead to a rewarding, fulfilling position with Ritz-Carlton. Unfortunately, "Guest Relations Coordinator" was a nice way of phrasing "lobby greeter with no potential for advancement". Ummm... standing in the lobby for four hours at a time is not what I spent $100,000 on a Bachelor's degree for. I applied for transfers to other positions a couple times, and watched while they hired people from outside the company rather than cross training me (an "employee of the month").

Realize that "your department doesn't want to loose you" will ensure that the company will. I have since moved on to another luxury hotel company (their biggest competitor), and now earn twice what I made at the Ritz-Carlton, doing something I'd applied for with Ritz-Carlton, only to be told I couldn't do that because I didn't have any prior experience with it.

Worked for Ritz-Carlton? Contribute to the Community!