Ritz-Carlton

Updated November 23, 2014
3.8

Ritz-Carlton President and COO Hervé Humler
Hervé Humler

Pros
  • Great people really encompass the values they preach (in 16 reviews)

• Pay was very reasonable to what was expected, great benefits (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work/Life balance; I am forced to work 10 hr days thursday-Sunday (in 21 reviews)

• LONG HOURS but always willing to work with your schedule if you are understanding (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Eager, Ambitious, Well Educated... Door Attendant? (I was a Guest Relations Coordinator.)

Former Employee - Guest Relations in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Guest Relations in Arlington, VA

I worked at Ritz-Carlton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The name looks good on a resume, and you do get a discount on rooms with Marriott, based on availability of course.

Cons

I was led to believe that my prior experience, as well as my enthusiasm would lead to a rewarding, fulfilling position with Ritz-Carlton. Unfortunately, "Guest Relations Coordinator" was a nice way of phrasing "lobby greeter with no potential for advancement". Ummm... standing in the lobby for four hours at a time is not what I spent $100,000 on a Bachelor's degree for. I applied for transfers to other positions a couple times, and watched while they hired people from outside the company rather than cross training me (an "employee of the month").

Realize that "your department doesn't want to loose you" will ensure that the company will. I have since moved on to another luxury hotel company (their biggest competitor), and now earn twice what I made at the Ritz-Carlton, doing something I'd applied for with Ritz-Carlton, only to be told I couldn't do that because I didn't have any prior experience with it.

Not my kind of company to work for

I worked at Ritz-Carlton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Plenty of hotels around the world

Cons

Very rigid management system, they try to indoctrinate you and brainwash you to join their cult. Line staff manage upwards, the top management have no say, otherwise they nark on you on the employee tel line.

Valet Cashier Position - a broken job, no chance for advancement

Former Employee - Senior Valet Coordinator in Naples, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Valet Coordinator in Naples, FL

I worked at Ritz-Carlton as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Valet team members are fun to work with

Cons

Inconsistent training by different team members. Inexperienced / hypocritical / malicious Front Door Management. Hours varied from 20 to 50 a week without warning. Unwarranted blame from all other team members/management in the front door area (cashier is accountable for every mistake made by the Valet team, regardless of involvement). No positive reinforcement only punishment (a job well done is expected and therefore not acknowledged, as I was reminded by the lead HR person after she asked for suggestions). No chance for advancement as cashier--The longer you stay on as Cashier the further you doom yourself to fail in the company. I was wrongfully accused of stealing by my direct Supervisor (she did not bother apologize when I cleared my name, she just said "Oh." and walked away). I was forced by my direct supervisor to complete job duties of some female employees because the jobs were too "yucky for them [females]". I was repeatedly warned not to take important issues to HR, as that would only cause more problems and make the situation worse.

Do not hire a full time cashier at the beach resort in Naples. The burn-out rate is too high because of the constant blame and terrible variance in hours attached to the job. Devise a more effective hiring process. Compose a proper SOP for Cashier Position and cease the unreal expecations. Ensure proper Cashier Training by ONE person.

Slaves serving ladies and gentlemen.

Former Employee - Guest Services in Dana Point, CA
    Former Employee - Guest Services in Dana Point, CA

I worked at Ritz-Carlton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Looks great on resume if you are in hospitality industry or customer service.
    Great tips if you are working hourly tip jobs.

Cons

No diversity (prefers caucasians)
    If you're good looking or pretty you got the job. Intelligence or degree does not matter as long as you look good and have good body.
    Poor.. I mean really poor management. Managers don't do anything but check female employees out and verbally harrase them.
    No work and personal life balance (married to your job)
    Scheduling sucks real bad. Have done back to back for a week.
    No support from management.
    Favortism
    Only promotes the people they hang at the bar with.
    Management and male employees degrade female employees and disrespects them.
    Guest treats associates like slaves.
    Does not live by the "credo" card.

Treat your employees like humans not robots.

Horrible!! Bad Management..

Former Employee - Esthetician in Coconut Grove, FL
    Former Employee - Esthetician in Coconut Grove, FL

I worked at Ritz-Carlton part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Ritz Carlton name looks good on your résumé. But that's about it.

Cons

Politics.. Bad food .. Poor Management

Don't in live the employees in your corporate fights

Be Prepared To Be Married To Your Job

I have been working at Ritz-Carlton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most of your money is made in cash tips, which you can easily hide from the IRS; They clean your uniforms and feed you well; Cheap rates at any Marriott brand hotel in the world (29 bucks and up per night).

Cons

Long, lousy hours, including nights, weekends, and holidays; Very demanding supervisors; Never knowing how much money you'll make in a given day-some days less than 50 bucks-some days over $300. Working at the Ritz, just like any other hotel/hospitality industry job sucks. Your best bet would be to only work there part time, and suck up the benefits while preparing yourself for a real career.

No advice to management-They're just a bunch of slave drivers who only care about themselves.

Keep It Moving

Former Employee - Guest Services in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Guest Services in Dallas, TX

I worked at Ritz-Carlton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This place looks great on a resume. I must say if you are into networking this is the place to be.

Cons

When it comes to hiring managers and GM will look outside for opportunities!

Recognize your employees for the hardwork and dedication they contribute! COMPENSATE the employees fairly, better food in the cafeteria ( I would not feed that garbage to an animal), a descent holiday party to show thanks and hire with in!

Ritz

I have been working at Ritz-Carlton

Pros

Nice people and environment to work for

Cons

Very exausting questions and they do not gve you good feedback on why you failed

Huge let down, the employee promise is a facade.

Current Employee - Cook III
    Current Employee - Cook III

I have been working at Ritz-Carlton full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Most of the hourly Ladies and Gentlemen are exceptiona,l great people. Looks good on resume, constantly challenged it really shows you what you are made of.

Cons

Hardly ever get a lunch break, or a break period, management is aware, no changes and no concern for the overworked over taxed employee, high stress and high anxiety is the norm. HR has no real presence except to religiously repeat the "Gold Standards" and push for more from an already overburdoned staff.

Respect your employees and your team, do not ignore valid concerns. Listen but more importantly be present and accountable so you can see who is truly working hard! Recognize those with skills and potential and stop with the preferential treatment of those long term staff that have stayed too long and have become lazy and complacent.

An awful company that ostensibly cares a lot for it's employees, but in reality treats them very poorly.

Former Employee - Doorman
    Former Employee - Doorman

I worked at Ritz-Carlton

Pros

You do get to work with some interesting people from all over the world.

Cons

The benefits are garbage, the wages are garbage, the corporate culture is cult-like and scary. My worst memory was seeing how upper management lived high on the hog at the hotel's expense all while telling line employees that due to that particular hotel hemorrhaging too much money, the hotel couldn't afford to give them more hours despite many of those employees working less than 20h a week.

Take an ethics class.