Ritz-Carlton Reviews

• Sarasota, FL
3.3
Ritz-Carlton President and COO Hervé Humler
Hervé Humler

1. Team driven company centered on exemplary customer service.

Current Employee - Paymaster in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Paymaster in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at Ritz-Carlton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Train the finest ladies and gentlemen in the hospitality industry.

Cons

Not all departments walk the talk of the company philosophy.

Advice to Management

Fairness across the board of every department.

2. A great place to work if you are fresh out of high school.

Former Employee - Bartender in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Bartender in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Ritz-Carlton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can work in multiple outlets in different roles.

Cons

Management changes every six months so it is difficult to advance career.
    Your position in the company changes, along with your pay, based on current need.

Advice to Management

Don't use empty promises as a leadership tool.

3. Good company but this location fell short of other Ritz/Marriott properties I have worked for.

Former Employee - Guest Service Department in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Guest Service Department in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Ritz-Carlton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, work enviroment, great coworkers.

Cons

Unorganized, people always calling off, management would flat out lie to you and seemed unqualified in the Guest Services department. Almost daily someone would miss their shift. Always being asked to cover someones shift. It seemed management wouldn't do anything about the issue. Planning was at times last minute and managers would take their stress out on their team members.

Advice to Management

Be honest and up front with your employees.

5. Phenomenal chance to learn and grow.

Former Employee - Guest Services Supervisor in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Guest Services Supervisor in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Ritz-Carlton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Brand Recognition, High end clientele, Room Rate Discounts. The company and it's parent company's values are very supportive of line-level employees, for good reason. their selection and hiring process are unmatched in the industry. Thus there is an abundance of very talented hospitality professionals at work throughout the organization.

Cons

The Hotel market recession starting in 2008 tightened the belt, putting additional stress on middle management and supervisors. It is getting better but the days of having more managers and directors than they knew what to do with are over. "Bench Strength" isn't maximized as much as it could be.

Advice to Management

Keep Distinction between parent company and brand.

6. Wonderful Company

Former Employee - SPA Concierge in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - SPA Concierge in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Ritz-Carlton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits, room discount, uniforms laundered on-site, employee dining room, great coworkers, good pay

Cons

hard to achieve work/play balance, long hours, demanding guests, stressful at times

"Ritz going above and beyond for customers, by breaking employees backs"

Current Employee - Pastry Cook in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Pastry Cook in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at Ritz-Carlton

Pros

The benefits are good, if you have time to use them with the hours you are scheduled
    Free lunch
    Holiday pay

Cons

Terrible salty food in the employee cafeteria. You tell us to eat healthy then feed us greasy, fried foods and give us an option of a poor looking salad bar

Employee satisfaction survey a joke: Managers tell you what to say, and how to say it or they will get in trouble. It's suppossed to be anynomous, but when there is 5 people in your department and you have to say which department you are in, how old you are and what your ehtnicity is, they know who you are. People are scared to answer truthfully so THEY DON'T!

Meetings and Special events managers have no clue about food or what to call certain items. Sometimes they make up their own menu and don't give us a hint at what they are getting at.

No help from senior management whatsoever. There is no pastry chef for more than a year now, we are understaffed and underheard. So we work 11-16 hours a day, sometimes 6 days a week while other departmentments are going home early. Also, they hire people with limited abilities and no skills and don't promote those who deserve it.

No communication between departments. We are constantly missing BEOs, having to arrange our own transportation for the wedding cakes at our other property and making dessert for our other property whlie they are preparing it themselves (wasting time!)

Working every holiday, ALL DAY LONG

No bonuses for hourly employees

Advice to Management

The employee promise is a joke. If you care about employees, keep them at the property. Make an employee satisfaction survey that ACTUALLY IS anynomous, and you will get different reviews, worse ones. Put yourself literally in the job of a lower employee for one day to SEE what they need and how a typical day for them could be improved.