River Island Clothing Reviews

Reset
3.1
River Island Clothing CEO Ben Lewis
Ben Lewis

Pros
  • Staff discount after 7 weeks of working there (although everything I bought ended up going in the sale right after (in 18 reviews)

• 30 % discount on all clothing except promotional items (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Every sales assistant is on minimum wage and only goes up when the government increases the (in 9 reviews)

• There is a lot of pressure put on every member of staff and management in the company from the highest positions all the way to level ones (in 5 reviews)

1. Fast paced challenging high fashion retailer with a buzzing atmosphere.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at River Island Clothing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free uniform, great discount, being part of a fashion forward business.

Cons

Need to be flexible as to support the business needs. Too many different opinions on different aspects of the store can cause extended workload for teams and can be frustrating. Not enough hours in a day. 😕

Advice to Management

Tailor training to the individuals role. Consistency needed in people skills from the top down in order to get the best from your staff and to create a happy driven work force.

Apr 13, 2015 – Recruitment Controller

Thank you for your review and lovely to hear you are enjoying your time at River Island.

2. Fun role, good place to meet people and be first to fashion

Former Employee - Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at River Island Clothing part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible working hours and shifts, good staff discounts, 75% off on jeans and 30% off the rest when I worked there for two years.

Cons

Not always guaranteed to leave on time at the end of day shifts until every inch of the shop is clean. The management (supervisors) can sometimes be a bit rude and disrespectful.

Advice to Management

Always treat your staff with respect

May 14, 2015 – Recruitment Controller

Thanks for the review of River Island - glad you enjoyed your time with us!

3. Best employer!! great perks

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Derry, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Derry, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at River Island Clothing part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Riverisland really treat you as a family, not just a number like other organisations. Their benefits such as 40% discount on FP, uniform, and flexibility in terms of hours, what more do people want. Ive worked here for nearly 2 years, it has been wonderful, i love my job, collegues, management and the staff perks. Management are understanding if you need more hours and will adapt if possible to suit the needs of the employee. In terms of the company i cannot fault, maybe some in store individuals can be. But the good outshines the bad.

Cons

The only downside is sometimes members of management dont show appraisal or encourage as much as they should and have "favourites" based on personal relationship however these "favourites" are often not half as efficient or good at their job than others and good workers get their efforts ignored.

Advice to Management

Encouraging your staff more and showing appreciation makes for effective staff, happy people sell afterall. If staff feel their hard efforts go unnoticed, this causes them to be demotivated and therefore their efficiency and customer service will lack, having the domino effect on the business as sales and standards will lack. The perks and benefits are amazing but if their own hands on management are not treating or managing correctly, the employees and the store will still suffer.

5. Great

Current Employee - Reatil Assistant
    Current Employee - Reatil Assistant

I have been working at River Island Clothing

Pros

Discount Banter Great staff Wage for Under 21's high

Cons

None as its a great place to work

Jul 23, 2015 – Recruitment Controller

Fabulous, thanks for your review on River Island. We are pleased you enjoyed your time with us.

6. sales advisor

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Oxford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Oxford, England (UK)

I worked at River Island Clothing part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

beautiful products with a decent staff discount and uniform allowance. Opportunity to transfer to different stores when opportunities arise for career progression or if moving location.

Cons

management can take their stress out on staff especially after conference calls!, sometimes menswear can become quite short staffed as womenswear is the main focus of each store.

Advice to Management

create a balance between womens, mens and kidswear as well as try not to take out stress on staff so frequently.

7. Sales Assistant

I worked at River Island Clothing

Pros

Meet some great people while working there, management isn't too bad. Always overtime available if you want to make some extra money.

Cons

Sometimes the store feels under staffed during peak times (holiday time or sales etc).

Jul 23, 2015 – Recruitment Controller

8. Lots of progression but only if you work really hard!

Current Employee - Store Manager in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at River Island Clothing full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Met some of my closest friends over the past 4 years, if you get a good manager it's a very fun place to work, progressed 9 times in 8 years, discount amounts have just improved and the company is changing to make river island a happy positive place to work

Cons

Some managers are stuck in the past and don't understand the need to motivate, it can be over whelming at times with work loads for managers but the challenge is enjoyable.

Advice to Management

Motivate! good feedback is more important than negative, understand your staff and take time to get to know them. :)

Jul 23, 2015 – Recruitment Controller

Thanks for your feedback and we will feedback your points. Thanks for your continued hard work :)

Store manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at River Island Clothing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Always busy, work with a great team and company set up a survey to help improve work place for team and we seeing changes already

Cons

Company planning although stressed to us that we need to be organised it is hard when things don't happen when supposed too

Advice to Management

My boss is brilliant so myself and rest of my area is very lucky. She is very approachable still understands all the pressures at store level although she has not worked in a store for years.

Jun 19, 2015 – Recruitment Controller

Thank you for your review about River Island and your hard work and commitment :)

10. worst place to work

I worked at River Island Clothing part-time

Pros

uniform allowance meant free clothes store discount of 30% meant being able to get clothes cheaper

Cons

roughly £4 per hour for a challenging and tiring job managers don't actually do anything just stand and boss people around unreal amount of pressure put on the young part time workers to increase sales use humiliation tactics to attempt to motivate staff members when it comes to booking holidays not everyone is treated equally

Advice to Management

Be more understanding and kind to staff instead of undermining and condescending

Jul 23, 2015 – Recruitment Controller

Sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time at River Island - we have listened to your comments.

11. sales assisstant

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Preston, North West England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Preston, North West England, England (UK)

I worked at River Island Clothing

Pros

good team and incentives, lots to do, variety, work with fashion, OK pay, good hours

Cons

temp contract, can be very busy , pay can be classified as low, tiring, inadequate training and thrown straight into the job

Advice to Management

try keep teams small and provide more training to

RSS Feed </> Embed