River Island Clothing

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014
2.9

Ben Lewis

Pros
  • The staff discount was quite helpful you are also given free uniform for when you start (in 18 reviews)

• 30 % discount on all clothing except promotional items (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Regular staff are minimum wage, even in London, so high turnover of staff (in 9 reviews)

• Also recognition when a member of staff is being exceptionally well i feel personally is lacking (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Fast paced challenging high fashion retailer with a buzzing atmosphere.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at River Island Clothing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free uniform, great discount, being part of a fashion forward business.

Cons

Need to be flexible as to support the business needs.
    Too many different opinions on different aspects of the store can cause extended workload for teams and can be frustrating.
    Not enough hours in a day. ��

Tailor training to the individuals role. Consistency needed in people skills from the top down in order to get the best from your staff and to create a happy driven work force.

Fun role, good place to meet people and be first to fashion

Former Employee - Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at River Island Clothing part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible working hours and shifts, good staff discounts, 75% off on jeans and 30% off the rest when I worked there for two years.

Cons

Not always guaranteed to leave on time at the end of day shifts until every inch of the shop is clean. The management (supervisors) can sometimes be a bit rude and disrespectful.

Always treat your staff with respect

Not recommended

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at River Island Clothing part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits and good work/life balance

Cons

Poor management, dissapointing compensation compared to competitors

Value employees and give more recognition to achievement

Not terrible but not good.

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at River Island Clothing part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good discounts(30%)
    Staff allowance depending on how much you work
    Some friendly managers and staff
    Good incentives

Cons

I started working here as my first ever retail job as an Xmas temp. Absolute minimal training given. On my first shift I was lucky to have an experienced staff help me for around 30 mins before she had to leave to do a different role and I was left on my own and had to stay on my own for the rest of the shift with little knowledge of the floor plan, visual merch, current promos, radio use and other basic necessities. Left me with little confidence with handling and approaching customers.
    It took me over a month to become till trained as no-one even considered to do so and to this day I am only basic till trained (simple transactions).
    Every shift I am put on my own and not given the chance to bond with colleagues at all.
    Staff get underpaid often.

Be more consideration for your staff and start caring. Switch people around, give them different roles so that we can learn more about the store.
    Start training your staff more. If you're employing people all the time and want the best for your customers, be a bit more professional, do what you should be doing and give them some training.
    Start having someone in the office to take calls because when I try to call in for whatever reason, 90% of the time, no-one will answer.

dissatisfied

I have been working at River Island Clothing

Pros

no pros, at the christmas time as a temporary sales advisor, you are there to clean all that mess.

Cons

discount benefits, working with young people

A pleasant experience.

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Preston, North West England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Preston, North West England, England (UK)

I worked at River Island Clothing part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some of the great perks of working at River Island are the uniform allowance and the staff discount. Every three months, depending on your hours, you were given a set allowance to spend on clothes to wear at work. My allowance was £70. With this I was to buy one pair of jeans and two shirts.
    The discount is also great at 25%.

Cons

Some of the cons are that the discount can only be used at the store you work at and not at other stores. The lack of breaks in shifts is also a con.

When I left for University I attempted to sort out a transfer to a branch in Liverpool however this was a very long winded process and in the end I was unable to do so and had to hand in my notice.

Great job when you're in between jobs or a student

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)

I worked at River Island Clothing part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employee Discount 30%, meeting new people every day. It's a simple job to do. You stay active through out your shift. You learn about current fashion and trading. The people there are nice and friendly, you also get a generous uniform allowance.

Cons

You spend the whole day on you're feet so if you get tired easily it's not for you. The pay is a bit low hence only good as a temp thing. Some customers can be a real pain but that's everywhere in retail. When the shopping season is down there's not much to do but when it's busy there's barely a place to step.

Management was really good. Can't really think of any advice for them.

Horrible! RESIGNING AFTER MY FIRST DAY

Former Employee - Sales Advisor
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor

I worked at River Island Clothing part-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are no pros of working here.

Cons

I went for my induction yesterday and it was awful. Me and three others were taken into the tiny back room and given forms to fill out with info about ourselves. We were then asked to fill in our designated shifts that the manager had given us over the phone. So I filled mine out and she (manager) looked at my like I was an absolute idiot. "where did you get these times from" she said. I told her I'd written down exactly what she had told me on the phone (which I had). She then gave me a totally different shift pattern with a lot less hours and I was puzzled. I thought it was the worst of the lack of organisation.... However, soon after she explained how we would get paid via some website called 'Oracle' but gave us no login and then went onto say that if we didn't set it up correctly, it would be our own faults and we shouldn't come 'whining' to her about it. we would have to wait 8 weeks for pay if we messed up. We were then told to go away for our 15 minute break and then come back and START WORK! we had had no training at all. And were told we'd be working for 5 hours that night. I came back to begin work and we were told we would shadow someone (which did not happen, I was left alone). So I began tidying up as they told me too and advising customers. They gave us no training about using these stock checker machines and we had to leave customers waiting whilst we attempted to find things in the disgustingly messy stock room. We had no break, even to use the toilet. (apparently you only get a break if you work 8 hours or more) they basically made me pick up plasters out of the changing rooms and tidy the shop floor, picking up litter. Then when work had finished I was told to pick more shoes out of the stock room and put them on display; they had given us no health and safety precautions, so I nearly fell off the ladder climbing up for shoes:(
    Before I left I also wanted to check my hours because they hadn't been clear but the manager had absolutely no idea, and we weren't on the rota yet so I left with no clue about when I was next meant to be working. Not only did I have no clue about that, but when asking the manager how they were keeping track of our hours (that we had done) she seemed pretty clueless about that too!! I felt like crying the whole time because even when I asked questions they were so reluctant to answer and would often ignore me, or use a load of jargon to purposely intimidate and confuse me.
     I left feeling so disheartened and shocked at the entire process, I had the worst migraine, my feet were painful and I hadn't eaten in 7 hours. Considering I am 17 and get minimum wage at river island, WHICH IS SOMETHING LIKE £3.70 AN HOUR.. I will certainly not be staying. They pretty much use you as their slave !!!!! do not go for a job there!!! I HAD READ ALL THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS ON HERE AND ON OTHER SITES AND STUPIDLY STILL WENT FOR THE JOB. BUT NOW I KNOW EVERYONE WAS RIGHT!

-ACTUALLY TRAIN PEOPLE!
    -REALISE THAT YOU ARE NOT BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE.
    -START TO TREAT EMPLOYEES WITH RESPECT

Awful, no training, clique

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Truro, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Truro, England (UK)

I have been working at River Island Clothing

Pros

None. No upside to working here.

Cons

No hours, called in when they remember your name, awful training (20 mins, not even shown how to use the till, just that its self explanatory) and degrading language used. I have over 2 years retail experience and didnt deserve their treatment.

Store managers need re-training and to learn some people skills.

Working at River Island was fast-paced and friendly

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at River Island Clothing part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was very friendly, interesting to learn about the company and they had great values that I didn't know about before working there.

Cons

It got very busy and the payroll system could be better.

Re-new the payroll system so there is a clock in/out system to avoid confusion.

River Island Clothing Photos

What it looks like outside the store
Inside the staff room, our vending machine

+ Add Photo