Riverbed Technology

Riverbed Technology Reviews

Updated Jun 26, 2014

Riverbed Technology Chairman, President, and CEO Jerry M. Kennelly

Jerry M. Kennelly

Pros:
  • "Having worked at some other places I find a great work life balance here""
    in 36 reviews
  • "Great people, although that can vary widely depending on the group you're in"
    in 26 reviews
Cons:
  • "The company is growing faster than its engineering process is evolving"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Still suffering from some growing pains from quickly expanding the workforce over the past 4 years"
    in 20 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Reality-Based Company With Lots of Competent People

San Francisco, CA

Pros* Interesting products to work on
    * coworkers are competent but not arrogant
    * good location (in downtown SF) ..and several other large offices in Sunnyvale, Boston, Bethesda.
    * we work well as distributed teams
    * we get our work done and have lives outside of work

ConsThere is always some process overhead and bureaucracy at a company this size.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep working to make the products best in class and let's keep some of the small company values that we still have.

Riverbed is growing up

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)

ProsOverall company culture of excitement and pride for solutions. Good pay and benefits are very cost competitive.

ConsThe company is growing up and going through several changes right now, but I believe they are on the right direction.

Smart company with great culture that focuses on growth and success

San Francisco, CA

ProsThe focus is in the right places - have a great product and have the best sales reps around to sell it. Put processes in place that make it easy for the product to evolve and for sales to do its job.

ConsHistorically teams worked in silos and had very little contact with each other. It is hard to get synergy among the groups without several meetings to make sure each group is ok with the plan. Some groups historically have been resistant to change as they have been in their own world for some years.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Friendly envrionment, but company is struggling to find itself

Sunnyvale, CA

ProsThe highlight of working at Riverbed is my colleagues. Everyone is quite friendly, good sense of humor, very smart, and always willing to help out. While everyone's work hours and habits are flexible (another big plus), everyone works to accommodate each other. This creates an environment of learning and collaboration that is great for junior and senior engineers alike.

I also appreciate Riverbed's practice of integrating new tools and libraries into our work flow. At the same time, regular tech-talks are held to introduce said tools and libraries, to ensure everyone is on board with the selection and implementation. The best part is that everyone has the opportunity to introduce their favorite technology to the company.

In that vein, Riverbed is still a company full of opportunity. Every employee is encouraged to find new problems to solve with our products, to take initiatives to make our product better, more reliable, more efficient. There isn't always time for every initiative, so some things have to be done on personal time, but initiatives can be rewarding.

ConsFollowing the last of the Pros, it feels like there is never enough time to do things "the right way" at Riverbed. There is always a deadline looming, and designs / plans are constantly being shaved down to meet deadlines, even if it does not make sense. Part of the reason, I believe, is that many teams at Riverbed are understaffed. I hear this all the time: "we don't have the resources to complete this feature on time"

Even though the Sunnyvale employees just moved into a brand new building, it already feels crowded. There aren't enough conference rooms, bathrooms, space in the break room is limited. The "open seating design" of the offices is great for collaboration, but horrible for concentration. Noise is a constant issue, be it your coworkers socializing, people talking loudly on phones, people leaving their cell phone ring tones at full volume, etc.

Despite many years of growth, Riverbed has yet to figure out how to scale itself as an engineering organization. Processes, designs, frameworks are changing rapidly, often without time to fully "shake out the bugs". This leaves developers as perpetual guinea pigs, experiencing the pain of working through half-baked procedures and designs.

As others have noted, compensation does not follow the market... especially since last year's $1BB acquisition of OPNET. It seems costs are being cut since this acquisition, and us employees are bearing the brunt of the cuts. There is little compensation besides salary: mostly stock-based incentives, and RVBD stock hasn't been very consistent in its growth. As a result, RVBD has higher than average turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnough with the acquisitions! Let's focus on growing our core business, including growing and retaining in-house talent.

Startup limitations without startup benefits

Mots (Current Employee)
    Sunnyvale, CA

ProsWork wise it is ok, just like any bay area tech company.
    Some work can be challenging with some amount of flexibility typical of any software company around.

ConsAs the title mentions, low salary and bonus than the big software companies. But the stock is not doing well, so no advantages of being in a small company.

Member of Technical Staff

Sunnyvale, CA

ProsGreat work environment, talented people, good exposure to customer issues.

ConsDistractions from the wall street news.

Moving in the right direction

San Francisco, CA

ProsCompany is moving in the right direction with a clearer articulation of our portfolio of products, both internally and to the investment community. Enjoy my work team, and work-life balance can be achieved here. As a Bay Area employee, I love that the company still hosts an annual Christmas Gala at San Francisco City Hall, as well as the annual summer picnic in Menlo Park.

ConsNeed more (frequent) communication to employees. San Francisco office is very cramped for space - hoping that the new office will address this.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more departmental and company-wide all-hands meetings to keep employees informed, especially as we move to the next evolution of our company.

"Break-Out" Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat technology solutions and passionate people! Second to none!

ConsRiverbed paid way too much for Opnet Technology in 2012 and did a poor job of business integration.

Advice to Senior ManagementCurrent CEO has had a great run! Time to retire and turnover the reigns.

Great experience of a next generation technology company

Sales Engineer (Current Employee)
    Columbia, MD

ProsGreat Culture, positive energy, ability to exceed, great work life balance, top talent, market leading technology

ConsConstant rapide change, increased recent turnover

Advice to Senior Managementcontinue the focus of the company and include goals to become a multi-billion dollar company

Good compnay, good benefits, good people and culture

Engineer (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsEveryone is cooperative and has a common goal. Everyone is willing to lend a hand.

ConsLack of equitable treatment from management.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay better attention to your resources.

Worked for Riverbed Technology? Contribute to the Community!

Riverbed Technology Videos

Riverbed Technology – Why Work for Us?

Join the Winning Team Riverbed Technology and our award-winning WAN optimization solutions are changing the way organizations work. The pride, expertise, and innovation we build into our products and services are an… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Riverbed Technology reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Riverbed Technology CEO Jerry M. Kennelly. All 463 reviews posted anonymously by Riverbed Technology employees.