Riverbed Technology

www.riverbed.com

Riverbed Technology Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2013's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros
  • Having worked at some other places I find a great work life balance here"(in 38 reviews)

• Great people, although that can vary widely depending on the group you're in(in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing faster than its engineering process is evolving(in 12 reviews)

• Still suffering from some growing pains from quickly expanding the workforce over the past 4 years(in 20 reviews)

A great place to work, with great people, and a great work environment.

Director, Marketing Operations (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsMarket leader in its space. Great product, satisfied customers. Not too big, not too small, a true "Goldilocks" company.

ConsStill growing and thus learning how to work remotely (using teleconferencing).

Advice to Senior ManagementTalent in South Bay will benefit with teleconferencing equipment between Sunnyvale and SFO. The time spent in commuting will be reinvested in working. If not, a shuttle service with a table to work on (and wireless) will lead to a productive commute.

various work experience and growth

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsRiverbed is a place that really allows you to be yourself. I love working here because it is a fast-paced environment where there is always something to do, constantly. Everyone is treated like family at the office and says hello to each other. I enjoy the free snacks in the break room. We can work remotely as we are provided with a laptop. We are compensated well for our work but I am also required to work weekends various times.

ConsHeavy workload (if you cannot handle it)

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease hire more headcount as our company is growing we need more support

I'm surrounded by smart people!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThe people at Riverbed are... SMART! It doesn't matter what department I'm working with I find myself amazed at the number of highly intelligent and creative people who are all willing to share ideas and pitch in to find a solution to a problem. The executive team doesn't hid the fact that they prioritize family which allows employees to do the same.

ConsStill a little bit slow in creating processes to exponentially expand with our growth.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The best work experience in 18 years of IT Sales.

Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsStrong management focused on getting customers what they need in a timely manner.
    Responsive to customers resulting in high customer satisfaction.
    Positive, can do attitude from the top down.

ConsNeed for more realistic first year goals when starting new product line in territory.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed for formalized POC process that is differentiated by product line.

Lots of smart people working together to solve real problems

Director, Product Marketing (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsExciting place to work with a great culture. It's great to see so many smart people pulling in one direction to get the job done.

ConsBusiness travel involving flights over 8 hours should qualify for business class upgrades.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease help maintain the culture. I think you guys got it right and I hope we don't stray as we get bigger.

Vice President

Vice President (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat Culture, High quality people and a market-leading technology

ConsLove to see investment into growth of the company

Average place to work

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsEngineers are good/smart and get things done.

ConsLot of good engineers have left the company and the trend continues. People leave but it's bad when they leave because their reasonable expectations are not met.
    Company tends to hire managers from outside. Company is not for you if you want to climb up the ladder and be a Manager.
    You have to commute to the other office in the Bay Area at least once a week and arrange your transportation yourself. It costs you around 80 bucks a month if you live in SF like me and use Caltrain/Muni ($13.5 Caltrain, $4 Muni + Coffee at Caltrain station) to go to Sunnyvale once a week.
    Perks/compensation are pretty mediocre for a company in the valley.
    No tuition reimbursement. If you consider growing you career by taking courses while working this is not the place for you.
    Insider trading applies to everyone even if you have no clue about the financial health of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress/understand employee needs. Invest in people It's people that make or break a company.

Small company flexibility at a medium-size company

Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThey treat their employees well, and engineers especially are given a better status than at many companies. There is a good amount of money and thought put into how to reward the employees, and the upper management takes part in company events. For engineers, Riverbed allows a great flexibility to schedules - people are judged on performance, not on hours logged.

ConsRiverbed could use some improvement on getting all the departments in sync. This is actually a growing pain which all companies of our size must encounter. We have made a couple of acquisitions, and started a couple of new departments, and now the work just needs to be done to help all the people across those different areas share knowledge, and feel like we're all working toward the same goals.

Riverbed is a great place to work.

Escalation Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsIt is refreshing to work at a company that has good, smart, and nice people. Riverbed has taken notes from the dotcom boom and strategically applied the best practices: hire the best, pay them well, give them great benefits, then make the place cool, comfortable, and fun to work at.

ConsIt is growing so fast that it is difficult to stay nimble and responsive while maintaining the levels of quality. There is simply too much information and too much growth to keep track of everything.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the company culture as we grow.

Just "ok"

Recruiter (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsGreat technology, smart employees, better than great engineering team, excellent tech support team, and good health benefits (if important).

Conspoor compensation, poor career path opportunities or promotion opportunities. If one is performing well in their current position they will keep them there and hire from the outside. Tend to hire from outside vs promote from within.

Worked for Riverbed Technology? Contribute to the Community!