Riverbed Technology

www.riverbed.com

Riverbed Technology Reviews

Updated February 26, 2015
These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
Updated February 26, 2015
4.0

Riverbed Technology Chairman, President, and CEO Jerry M. Kennelly
Jerry M. Kennelly

Pros
  • Having worked at some other places I find a great work life balance here" (in 45 reviews)

• Great people, although that can vary widely depending on the group you're in (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing faster than its engineering process is evolving (in 12 reviews)

• Growing pains associated with transforming sales team to a multi-product solution sales team (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

The adults are (thankfully) in charge!

Current Employee - Director of Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I came to Riverbed after a two-year stint in a large Valley software company where chaos reigned and nothing really got done unless blood or tears were spilled. At Riverbed, I found rational people who are smart and capable, working on the stuff that matters, in an environment where people help each other and care about the quality of their work. Decisions get made, people get recognized, and everyone is treated well. I joined a GREAT team under a GREAT manager, and I'm still incredibly happy nine months later.

Cons

The company is experiencing growing pains, and people who have been here for a long time can be a bit cynical about the direction we are headed. But when 100% of industry analysts say they would recommend Riverbed to their clients (and they do), I figure our product and technology strategy is on track -- so the haters are being pretty harsh. We are also in the midst of going private, and there are a lot of people who want to know whether stock incentives and the ESPP program will be replaced with other incentives -- and I get that too -- but this is a company with a l-o-n-g track record of treating employees really well, so I for one am trusting that the company will offer all of us a reason to stay.

Increase face-time with employees to let us know what you're working on to speed this transition. Tell employees about bit wins that demonstrate we are on track. Make sure the deal to go private protects employees, and really doesn't create a lot of pain.

Great technology portfolio for a relatively mature tech company still in growth mode.

Former Employee - Director of Channel Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Channel Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Riverbed consistently offers opportunity for career advancement and ongoing training, and values investing in their employees. Although I departed for another opportunity, I would work there again in a heartbeat.

Cons

One of the major challenges is the company is going private via buyout from Thoma Brava. Until that is settled and they inevitably restructure, there will be short term headwinds to understanding the overall strategy and key leadership that will be retained.

Continue to invest in your people and make them feel valued, yet at the same time make certain to hold employees (especially long timers) to a high standard of performance & productivity.

Excellent technology, great opportunity

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Riverbed is full of great technology, that is being assembled into a strong portfolio of solutions. The Wan Optimization is the best, and when coupled with the Performance Management portfolio, you create a much more compelling and complete offer. Private Equity purchase will add some cash to pockets of people with Stock. The transition has great promise of success to move well past the $1B hurdle.

Cons

The market for WanOp has matured, requiring a bit more effort by the sales and product teams than in years past. Not everyone is willing to change, and that creates some issues in the transformation. Some of it is inability to change and adapt, some is just lack of desire or motivation. A cleansing rinse is in order and those ready to go to the next level with Riverbed will stay, others will leave or be left behind. This is makes for some uncomfortable environments. The lack of information on the buyout progress, the product roadmaps, future compensation/incentive programs, and anything beyond the buyout - all lead to people standing still rather than working toward a goal.

Take care of what you can now - Product roadmaps, compensation plans, quotas, etc.. give people a goal to focus on. Communication is critical. Some of the changes are dragging on too long and causing people to doubt that new management is going to be be capable of leading the change needed. I believe it will be fine, but not everyone shares my view.

Great Inside Sales Job

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary, true sales environment

Cons

Management out of tune with operations

Politically driven company with little runway on technology

Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Riverbed was once a wonderful place to work for and that has eroded over time. It has always been very politically driven versus a meritocracy. The products have always worked extremely well and I was very proud to sell them through my tenure. The employees always believed that Jerry (CEO) was doing what was in their best interest until the last year or so when key figures started to leave.

The office is in a beautiful location and is stocked with good snacks. Riverbed's benefits are amazing as well.

Cons

The company is falling fast. Looking at earnings reports (take out selling of product lines and see how far off they are) and make your judgement. Infrastructure is moving to the cloud and WAN based products clearly have a short term shelf life. That is one of the main reasons that key people are leaving. Riverbed acquired the Opnet product line and it was by most opinions a huge mistake. Performance management and analytics of applications are incredibly important but they need to drive those results from SAAS/Cloud based applications.

Overall the corporate culture is not what it was just a few years ago. Key positions in sales and HR have been filled with a lot of ex-cisco people who don't show much value in the employee. That is my opinion at least and I know it is shared by others.

They have blatantly made horrible mistakes in their layoffs. Regional Sales reps at 5-20% of quota were kept on and other departments dismantled. Much of this was politically driven and a calculation of HR costs. This is not how it was presented by Jerry in October. There are hundreds of positions that are filled by people showing up at 10am leaving a 2 after a 1+ hour lunch and are making 100-200k per year (recruiting). They are so desperate to keep talent until the acquisition is completed that they are promoting reps who were on performance plan, managers who couldn't forecast and employees who are flat out lazy.

Honestly if you really need a job this could be a good resume booster but don't think of this as more than a road bump.

Jerry needs to be deeply involved in things and not trust his Sr. management. You are keeping a large chunk of your company on a welfare program. How do you hire a CSO making seven figures and then layoff people some of which were top performers. Your people are disgusted with you and your leadership team. Have some real accountability, metrics and promote your people based on the merits of their work. I was one of the lucky ones to get promoted on my merits.

Was once great

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at Riverbed Technology

Pros

Great culture, people and (at one time ) vision

Cons

Inability to execute forced privatization
    Management in over their heads

Finish the acquisition and step aside

Sinking ship

Former Employee - IT Programmer/Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - IT Programmer/Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Once upon a time, Riverbed was a really good company. Countless less parties, game room, carby snacks. Jerry is an amazing CEO !!

Cons

Most of the original founders are now gone. Now it's run by bunch of bozos execs from Cisco. Here comes the next phase of bozo explosion.

Stop hiring Cisco execs!

Great place to work

I worked at Riverbed Technology

Pros

Great work environment, non stuffy culture

Cons

Hard to move to new areas of the company

Working with smart adults who treat you like a smart adult

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Plenty of youthful people as well as people who've been around the industry. By "adult" I don't mean a particular age, I mean there is opportunity to take lots of responsibility and thus become a key team member. Show that you can be depended on, and others will do the same for you. It's really refreshing, and this level of mutual respect extends to excellent benefits as well.

The San Francisco office is located in a hotbed of tech companies--within a 10 minute walk are Yelp, Wikimedia, Uber, LinkedIn's new building, SalesForce's new building, etc. Tons of restaurants, 1 block to the Museum of Modern Art, & so many kinds of people with so many professions are on the street at lunchtime. The complete opposite of the sterile tech campus neighborhood which, if a 10 foot fence were added, would be indistinguishable from an ultra-max prison for the imagination!

Riverbed's products express truly new ideas which track the evolution of how wide area networks and the Internet are being used by real companies. If you want to really understand the guts of how today's networks and computing platforms actually operate, you have the opportunity here. If you want to work with very smart people in an atmosphere of trust and make a real contribution, this is the place.

Cons

Most of Engineering resists using formal titles (except for manager, director, VP), which can make it difficult to gauge your professional progress.

The company personality is a bit understated, which might give job seekers the incorrect impression that not much is happening here. To the contrary, heavily hyped social SW isn't even 1/10 as complex and interesting as this stuff.

SR Manager, IT

Current Employee - IT Senior Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - IT Senior Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Not a big company, so there are opportunities to work in multiple areas
    Open environment

Cons

Growth opportunity is limited
    No bonus below the level of Directors
    Few cronies of CIO in the top level

Riverbed Technology Photos