Riverbed Technology Reviews

Updated March 29, 2015
389 reviews filtered by
These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
4.0
Riverbed Technology Chairman, President, and CEO Jerry M. Kennelly
Jerry M. Kennelly

Pros
  • Having worked at some other places I find a great work life balance here" (in 45 reviews)

• Great people, although that can vary widely depending on the group you're in (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing faster than its engineering process is evolving (in 12 reviews)

• Growing pains associated with transforming sales team to a multi-product solution sales team (in 21 reviews)

Riverbed is great place to work

Former Employee - QA Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - QA Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Riverbed Technology

Pros

Great people, amazing products, amazing work culture. Great place to work for getting work-life balance.

Cons

None that I can think off, the only time you really appreciate working culture or people at riverbed is when you move out of riverbed.

Management have to really rethink how to structure the sales team to improve on the sales.

2. network model analysis and simulation

Current Employee - NETWORK DESIGN ANALYSIS and SIMULATION in New York, NY
    Current Employee - NETWORK DESIGN ANALYSIS and SIMULATION in New York, NY

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

interested on opnet and it is a great opportunity to work as like as company environment.

I just like and love it

Cons

various kinds of network operation like design analysis and performance mejorment ,simulation test over network

GREAM IS LIFE BELIEVE IS POWER AND DREAM IS LIFE

Good People in a Stressful Time

I have been working at Riverbed Technology

Pros

Company culture is tries to affirm all employees are important. Every office is cubicle setup including all C-Suite executives all being in cubicles, which can honestly be somewhat uncomfortable. Every employee receives a SWEET Holiday present. For the last two years they have arranged for fairly expensive jackets to be given to all 2,600 employees globally. That's not a minor job nor cheap. Company holds many parties for employees and really tries to be a fun place to work.

Cons

There is a severe lack of administrative help. There are only eight administrative assistants for a global company of 2,600. Only four assistants in headquarters. Each EA supports at least two C-Suite executives. Most executive staff, SVP and below, is required to do all their own daily administration including calendaring, travel arrangements and expense reports. But honestly new executives pilfer time from existing assistants and work suffers because the EA are trying to do too much. HR systems are all self service based and requires managers to affect all changes in the systems, which put more responsibility on senior level staff that is already handling too much daily grind and cannot focus on the big picture.

Look into into efficiency as well as cost savings. The cheapest thing is not always the best. Look at the ROI you are getting out of your senior staff. You get more out of people not from you ability to throw a good party but making sure they do not dread the deeds they know they have to complete in a day.

Excellent technology, great opportunity

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Riverbed is full of great technology, that is being assembled into a strong portfolio of solutions. The Wan Optimization is the best, and when coupled with the Performance Management portfolio, you create a much more compelling and complete offer. Private Equity purchase will add some cash to pockets of people with Stock. The transition has great promise of success to move well past the $1B hurdle.

Cons

The market for WanOp has matured, requiring a bit more effort by the sales and product teams than in years past. Not everyone is willing to change, and that creates some issues in the transformation. Some of it is inability to change and adapt, some is just lack of desire or motivation. A cleansing rinse is in order and those ready to go to the next level with Riverbed will stay, others will leave or be left behind. This is makes for some uncomfortable environments. The lack of information on the buyout progress, the product roadmaps, future compensation/incentive programs, and anything beyond the buyout - all lead to people standing still rather than working toward a goal.

Take care of what you can now - Product roadmaps, compensation plans, quotas, etc.. give people a goal to focus on. Communication is critical. Some of the changes are dragging on too long and causing people to doubt that new management is going to be be capable of leading the change needed. I believe it will be fine, but not everyone shares my view.

Great technology portfolio for a relatively mature tech company still in growth mode.

Former Employee - Director of Channel Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Channel Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Riverbed consistently offers opportunity for career advancement and ongoing training, and values investing in their employees. Although I departed for another opportunity, I would work there again in a heartbeat.

Cons

One of the major challenges is the company is going private via buyout from Thoma Brava. Until that is settled and they inevitably restructure, there will be short term headwinds to understanding the overall strategy and key leadership that will be retained.

Continue to invest in your people and make them feel valued, yet at the same time make certain to hold employees (especially long timers) to a high standard of performance & productivity.

7. Great Inside Sales Job

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary, true sales environment

Cons

Management out of tune with operations

8. Ship is Sinking

I have been working at Riverbed Technology

Pros

Snacks, fresh fruit, flexibility to work in either San Francisco or Sunnyvale locations

Cons

Transition to privitization is bringing out the worst in leadership. Lack of vision, lack of engineering leadership, product roadmap unclear, more time being spent on turf wars. Negativity at top affecting moral.

Exec Leadership Work together! Define roles and responsibilities. Let go of old timers that are no longer contributing and fraught with negativity.

The adults are (thankfully) in charge!

Current Employee - Director of Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I came to Riverbed after a two-year stint in a large Valley software company where chaos reigned and nothing really got done unless blood or tears were spilled. At Riverbed, I found rational people who are smart and capable, working on the stuff that matters, in an environment where people help each other and care about the quality of their work. Decisions get made, people get recognized, and everyone is treated well. I joined a GREAT team under a GREAT manager, and I'm still incredibly happy nine months later.

Cons

The company is experiencing growing pains, and people who have been here for a long time can be a bit cynical about the direction we are headed. But when 100% of industry analysts say they would recommend Riverbed to their clients (and they do), I figure our product and technology strategy is on track -- so the haters are being pretty harsh. We are also in the midst of going private, and there are a lot of people who want to know whether stock incentives and the ESPP program will be replaced with other incentives -- and I get that too -- but this is a company with a l-o-n-g track record of treating employees really well, so I for one am trusting that the company will offer all of us a reason to stay.

Increase face-time with employees to let us know what you're working on to speed this transition. Tell employees about bit wins that demonstrate we are on track. Make sure the deal to go private protects employees, and really doesn't create a lot of pain.

10. Great place to work

I worked at Riverbed Technology

Pros

Great work environment, non stuffy culture

Cons

Hard to move to new areas of the company

Politically driven company with little runway on technology

Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Riverbed was once a wonderful place to work for and that has eroded over time. It has always been very politically driven versus a meritocracy. The products have always worked extremely well and I was very proud to sell them through my tenure. The employees always believed that Jerry (CEO) was doing what was in their best interest until the last year or so when key figures started to leave.

The office is in a beautiful location and is stocked with good snacks. Riverbed's benefits are amazing as well.

Cons

The company is falling fast. Looking at earnings reports (take out selling of product lines and see how far off they are) and make your judgement. Infrastructure is moving to the cloud and WAN based products clearly have a short term shelf life. That is one of the main reasons that key people are leaving. Riverbed acquired the Opnet product line and it was by most opinions a huge mistake. Performance management and analytics of applications are incredibly important but they need to drive those results from SAAS/Cloud based applications.

Overall the corporate culture is not what it was just a few years ago. Key positions in sales and HR have been filled with a lot of ex-cisco people who don't show much value in the employee. That is my opinion at least and I know it is shared by others.

They have blatantly made horrible mistakes in their layoffs. Regional Sales reps at 5-20% of quota were kept on and other departments dismantled. Much of this was politically driven and a calculation of HR costs. This is not how it was presented by Jerry in October. There are hundreds of positions that are filled by people showing up at 10am leaving a 2 after a 1+ hour lunch and are making 100-200k per year (recruiting). They are so desperate to keep talent until the acquisition is completed that they are promoting reps who were on performance plan, managers who couldn't forecast and employees who are flat out lazy.

Honestly if you really need a job this could be a good resume booster but don't think of this as more than a road bump.

Jerry needs to be deeply involved in things and not trust his Sr. management. You are keeping a large chunk of your company on a welfare program. How do you hire a CSO making seven figures and then layoff people some of which were top performers. Your people are disgusted with you and your leadership team. Have some real accountability, metrics and promote your people based on the merits of their work. I was one of the lucky ones to get promoted on my merits.

Riverbed Technology Photos