Riverbed Technology

Updated October 21, 2014
4.2

Riverbed Technology Chairman, President, and CEO Jerry M. Kennelly
Jerry M. Kennelly

Pros
  • Having worked at some other places I find a great work life balance here" (in 43 reviews)

• Great people, although that can vary widely depending on the group you're in (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing faster than its engineering process is evolving (in 12 reviews)

• Growing pains associated with transforming sales team to a multi-product solution sales team (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Auckland (New Zealand)
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Auckland (New Zealand)

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great products and a great team - tremendous support and culture

Cons

company growth started reducing some of the pros outlined above

Admittedly hard - try and preserve as much of the energy as enthusiasm as the early days.

Top-down and consistent focus on collaboration and culture

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Many opportunities to work cross-functionally in alignment with big customer and company initiatives. This is culturally the most frictionless environment I've ever worked in--the ethic of "git 'er done" is pervasive across all functions and in practically every person I've encountered. The pace is fast and the work is demanding, but the explicit focus here on employees from executive leadership is superior to all my previous employers.

Cons

Very lean, IT services-wise. IT doesn't get in the way, but some of the niceties I grew accustomed to with other employers are absent here. The focus on cloud-delivered and off-the-shelf systems could definitely benefit from some integration and systems work.

"Amazing Products & Great Culture"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The products are amazing! Every one of the products in the portfolio works as advertised. As a sales rep you know there will be no rear-view selling. Culture at the SF HQ is fantastic! The executive leadership has been able to keep a start-up feel at a big company. Inside sales team works & plays hard! Ultimately every company has its faults but the executives are willing to admit mistake and try to fix problems. Our Sr. VP of Sales for the America's is an inspirational leader who knows how to turn some of the sales execution problems around. You can complain about any job...and yes there are there are under-performers who will write nasty things but that's a part of being a big company.

Cons

Compensation for Inside Sales is not at the level of a lot of other companies. This we are told is being "worked on" but for now remains below market. The troubles reported recently definitely cause anxiety but that's the nature of working at a tech company.

Keep doing whats right for the investors and employees. There is a lot of love & faith from the employees!

Jerry, Jerry, Jerry!

Great Company and Culture

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Real Growth Opportunity: In my short time at Riverbed, I've seen the following promotions of ISRs: 2 ISR Managers, 3 Commercial Inside Sales Executives, 2 Territory Field Account Executives.

Your voice is really heard: It is not every day that you can walk the halls and chat with Senior Executives and the CEO about your business and get real input or see real change based of your input.

Great Team: The Riverbed Team is Top Notch. From Engineering to Operations to Sales, there is real sense of Teamwork and working towards a common goal of success.

Benefits: Salary, Time off, Medical, Dental, 401K, ESPP are all excellent at at the top tier of what you would expect to see in the Tech Industry.

Cons

With recent pressure from Investment Firms regarding the Acquisition of Riverbed, it has created some unnecessary FUD that we have had to work through. In most cases, this has driven our team to work even harder to deliver the great Solutions that Riverbed Offers.

Continue to be open with the Employees regarding Company Direction and Strategy.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent work atmosphere, good work/life balance, fair compensation, and a lot of smart engineers always willing to help if you have a problem.

Cons

Communication between engineering teams, and with other business teams (PM, Support) has room for improvement.

One of the best, if not THE best, teams I have ever worked with. Caring, engaged and smart people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The team is smart and capable, funny, caring.

Cons

Compensation is fair, not great. benefits are fair, not amazing. really middle-of-the-pack.

Make with the Silicon Valley-style benefits and comp, already!

Fantastic Internship Experience

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Riverbed Technology as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The inside sales team a fantastic group of people to work with and management is extremely open, welcoming and supportive. I was pleasantly surprised at how involved and appreciated I felt in my role.
    People here seem genuinely pleased with the work they were doing and the impact they were having on the company.
    They also had plenty of events for us to attend, at least one or two a week, such as trainings, volunteer events and lunches.
    Definitely got to build some great relationships with people, so overall a satisfying experience.

Cons

Internship program was only open to relatives of current Riverbed employees and there's no way to move up or extend the internship past the 8 weeks.

Riverbed Technology Response

Sep 30, 2014HR Recruiting

We are so glad you had a successful internship, thank you for the feedback! We do have other types of internship programs that are open to non-family members of Riverbed. The Riverbed Accelerator ... More

nice an exciting company to work for

Current Employee - Sales Support in Paris (France)
    Current Employee - Sales Support in Paris (France)

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

nice work environment, challenging opportunities, open management,

Cons

I have no cons as for now

Great people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lot's of opportunity to show what you can do.

Cons

Business growing more slowly than it did in the past

Challenging Work That's Valued By All

Current Employee - Marketing Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good management - there is nothing like the chaos I've experienced at other companies. I'm clear on my goals and I have what I need to achieve them. I know I'm good at what I do, and at Riverbed I have the ability to demonstrate that (and grow at the same time). Good work/life balance - I am happy to put in extra time when I need to, because I'm not on the hamster wheel all the time.

Cons

Growing pains as the company tries to scale. Sometimes it's not clear who's making a decision. Having said that, I'm positively amazed by how everyone is willing to fix what's broken (and do it nicely).

Keep giving employees the power to do their jobs well.

Riverbed Technology Photos