Riverbed Technology

Updated December 12, 2014
4.1

Riverbed Technology Chairman, President, and CEO Jerry M. Kennelly
Jerry M. Kennelly

Pros
  • Having worked at some other places I find a great work life balance here" (in 45 reviews)

• Great people, although that can vary widely depending on the group you're in (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing faster than its engineering process is evolving (in 12 reviews)

• Growing pains associated with transforming sales team to a multi-product solution sales team (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a happy company to work for. high salary is not everything.

Former Employee - Engineer in Asia, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer in Asia, TX

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good salary and insurance are retaining employees. core products are excellent.

Cons

Too strict. no conversation and discussion. micro management and due to tight work, some employees are very selfish and playing games. maybe usa environment is much better but ourside usa, tech job is horrible and harsh.

trust your people and do not micro manage people

Dedicated Organization of People, But Losing Focus of Overall Vision

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time

Pros

- In my experience, I worked with quite a few smart, dedicated, and friendly groups of people, although some of these qualities are mutually exclusive depending on the department and what people want.

- Some of the company’s products (not the ones from acquisitions) are still top performers in the WAN optimization industry.

- Customer service folks are very helpful and knowledgable in the appropriate subject matter.

- Although at times it can be an exercise in indulgence, the marketing people know how to get your attention for Riverbed's products, services, and company values. They definitely know how to get your attention.

- Salary and perks are quite good.

- San Francisco office is at a decent location for food and public transportation.

- Some of the best employee training ever offered.

Cons

I learned a lot from working at Riverbed, but I should also stress the following fundamental problems that highlight the current state of the company.

- About the San Francisco office location:

680 Folsom was a modern makeover for the office, but I seriously questioned some of the design and floor layout decisions made for the company. My office floor was disturbingly sparse about a third of the time I was there, every week. Many office cubicles were empty, and a lot of departments moved to cubes with window views without needing facility approval. My former department was oftentimes one of the few departments present on the floor. It was a very quiet workspace in our part of the floor. If you manage a department that is all about cross-functional team collaboration, it would be best to move to a more populated area in the building, if the company is all about the open-office policy.

- Stock options that are of little to no market value and worth. I've never worked at a company that had as big of golden handcuffs (a.k.a. RSUs) as this place.

- Some departments thrive on processes, and others work with little to none. Developers that did not follow processes were, not surprisingly, the most difficult to work with.

- Poor vertical communication across departments, and sometimes within a single department as well. YMMV.

- Witnessed quite a lot of politics getting in the way of relationships between employees and managers. This impacts the willingness to grow in your respective field for career advancement.

- Product and project managers that lead and kick off projects based on anecdotal stories, as another reviewer pointed out. Not on actual, fact-based data. There were many meetings in the beginning of a project's development cycle that wasted other team members' times, and concluded with more questions left unanswered, delaying the overall project schedule and fleshing out the product roadmap. I sympathized with the program managers that worked tooth and nail to run these meetings successfully for all involved.

- No clear vision of where the company needs to go.

- The nature of the work environment encourages micromanagers to wear multiple hats and work in projects to completion, and take most of the credit because of their official job title.

- The company presents itself as a hybrid mix of startup/corporate values. I think this is a poor way of explaining the company culture overall to those who want to work at Riverbed. Riverbed is not a small company--telling job candidates about the hybrid mix is really covering up the chaotic nature of how the company operates. You either are a startup, or a small/mid/large-sized corporation. Don't pretend to be both. Savvy job candidates know how startups operate.

- I honestly think that within the next year or two, from watching the public stock ebb and flow, that Riverbed should be bought by a bigger, more structured corporation. Going private would also be good for the company and the engineering organization, but that only means the company leaders need to work thrice as hard to re-strengthen the product portfolio so that the company stock would be desirable and profitable again. Highly unlikely, given the growing competition with other WAN optimization products.

I agree with other reviewers. Riverbed needs to start over as an organization. Stop living in the past. If you don’t want to be bought out by the likes of Cisco, you need to strengthen your current product portfolio and re-evaluate your team leadership. If you’re a manager and don’t know where to take your department, get your employees on board and create ideas together.

Glad place to work until large acquisitions started...

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Riverbed Technology

Pros

WAN optimization is a very solid; management is very sound; marketing is exceptional

Cons

integration issues with large acquisitions; probably should have bought smaller players.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere and easy going work environment

Cons

Some Management seem to be in this "Circle" that aren't qualified for their positions

Doing great at hiring employees.. Not so much in selecting Middle Management

Good Company for motivated individuals

I have been working at Riverbed Technology

Pros

- Good Culture
    - Invests in employee with training

Cons

- Needs consolidation/reducing IT tools

- Diversify energy to all the products Riverbed owns.

Great company to work for

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Regional Teams, RSU, Stock Options, ESPPs plus Amazing Health Benefits

Cons

Too many process could be simplified, less/no growth opportunity regional offices, wearing too many hats to perform task compare to HQ that it was specialize to every positions.

Please don't overlooked the contributions of other regions as well. Give opportunity to grow.

Great company. Unfortunately in a shallow market space.

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Awesome people
    - Flat hierarchy hence no fighting for promotions. People try to work together to get things done.
    - Minimal management interference
    - Tech is given the room to get the product/feature working
    - Excellent focus on developer driven quality
    - Great work/life balance

Cons

- Very minimal review process, almost no feedback
    - Employee levels are kept internal, its hard to say if you are doing a great job or not
    - No cash bonus
    - Flat stock price, hence no new projects

- Engineering culture is awesome, but need to get more projects going

Strategy and investments out of sync with market trends

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Empowering culture, very smart people

Cons

Company's primary product, for which Riverbed charges a brand premium, is rapidly being commoditized in the marketplace, and share is being captured by lower-priced competitors. However, investments in other solutions to grow and bolster Riverbed's business continue to be underfunded relative to the shrinking core business. This is across the board - R&D, sales and marketing, etc.

Assume a longer term view. View market more broadly.

Generally great employees but a lack of courage and leadership is slowly destroying this company.

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

As a long-time OPNET employee, when we were acquired in 2012 I was skeptical but optimistic. After a while I realized that my hopes would not come to fruition, although there are definitely some things to like about Riverbed:
    - Overall, the people are smart and dedicated. This applies to the company at large, but especially in Bethesda, where the OPNET work ethic still applies.
    - People are also kind and thoughtful. They want to do the right thing.
    - Management is willing to invest in training, which is generally of a high quality.
    - The facilities are excellent, especially in Bethesda (although the open office trend at the rest of the company is not a good one, despite what management might claim).
    - The benefits are generally quite good, especially the ESPP program and standard stock option distribution.
    - Engineering is generally left alone by other departments, which is usually a good thing.
    - The overall workplace environment is healthy - it is a progressive company that cares about its employees.

Cons

But here's the bad news: I want to make clear that I'm writing this not out of any sort of retribution - I left the company on generally good terms - rather, I want people that are considering joining Riverbed to get the full picture, which I think other reviews may not offer. I'm often mystified as to how Riverbed seems to achieve its high ratings as a company to work for - my only conclusion is that, like much at Riverbed, it's a triumph of marketing.

Some negatives:
    - There is really no leadership. Remote offices are left to their own devices. There is little-to-no coordination between development teams, even those that are co-located.
    - Communication is exceedingly poor. There are regular meetings to communicate some sort of message about what is coming up, but often this is blather from executives and extremely San Francisco (read: SteelHead) focused.
    - Management is generally reactive, not proactive. If you're happy, then they're happy to let you continue along whatever path you might be on. If you're unhappy, well, good luck getting anything to change.
    - Product management is scattershot at best. In many cases they have no idea what they're doing, content to guide product direction on anecdotal stories instead of actual data. Combine that with waterfall-like development approaches and you end up with products that are always playing catchup.
    - Riverbed advertises itself as a company where you can take the initiative, but it seems as if there's a small cadre of people in SF that really make the decisions without much input. Case in point: If you are a non-managerial engineer, your title is "Member of Technical Staff". Most find this ridiculous, but because some of the founders didn't like how hierarchical their former company felt, they decided that titles were unnecessary. Of course, they all have elevated titles.

Start over. You are no longer a small company with one product that hit it big. You are a monolith that needs strength, leadership, and coordination. You need to create a culture of innovation and drive, which doesn't happen on its own. Revamp the marketing and product management organizations, and create a CTO office that actually has some teeth.

Decent and stable place to work.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Practically 0 office politics.
    - Extremely good HR and immigration benefits (the former OPNET paid for everything).
    - Loose hierarchy, informal relationships with superiors.

Cons

- Not in an exciting field. Opportunities are limited.
    - Many of OPNET products are legacy and work in a sandbox like environment. Still no services offered in cloud.

Management was good.