Riverbed Technology

Riverbed Technology Reviews

Updated Jun 26, 2014

Riverbed Technology Chairman, President, and CEO Jerry M. Kennelly

Jerry M. Kennelly

Pros:
  • "Having worked at some other places I find a great work life balance here""
    in 36 reviews
  • "Great people, although that can vary widely depending on the group you're in"
    in 26 reviews
Cons:
  • "The company is growing faster than its engineering process is evolving"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Still suffering from some growing pains from quickly expanding the workforce over the past 4 years"
    in 20 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Strictly OK

Senior Escalation Engineer (Current Employee)
    Sunnyvale, CA

ProsFree time. Very laid back.

ConsVery haphazard for a big company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet procedures in place for smoother operation

I will have an interview tomorrow

Prosi do not yet, but i will say later

Conssuch a question when i do not know yet

Culture changing not for the better.

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsRiverbed Technology has always been a place to work, where you want to give more than your best. Just a great place to work.

ConsThe new Senior Management is trying to bring up the stock price, with negative changes to the work place. Good talent is leaving, while others looking around.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are losing the Riverbed magic. The approach of you are free to leave, if you do not like it , was never Riverbed.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

SOLID TEAM

ProsThe Senior Riverbed Management Team is very solid

ConsThe OPNET team had a very different culture that is taking time to improve.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep Going

Escalation Engineer IN UK

Escalation Engineer (Current Employee)
    Bracknell, England (UK)

ProsAwesome flexibility, opportunities to grow, Good stock plans and stock bonuses

ConsNone at the moment so nothing bad to report

Awesome company to work for!

Sales Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent Technology. Nice Organizational Culture. Company invest in its employees.

ConsLack of support for the company newest solutions for regions different than US

Keeps trundling along, somehow

Software Engineer Networks (MTS) (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat work-life balance! Engineers arrive at work at about 11AM on average. The exodus begins at 5PM and is almost complete by 6. The Pingpong and Foosball tables are in continuous use after 1PM. A lot of people don't come in until lunchtime. Most engineers are away from their desks most of the time. Hard to say how much people work from home, of course, but no way no how is this one of those (mythical?) companies where people work around the clock. You can see that from the productivity alone.

For about a year-long period, I was depressed about work and putting about two hours of concentrated effort a day into my job. It didn't affect my performance review at all.

ConsProduct release dates were "soft" even six years ago, when I joined, but over time they've become fluid to the point of near meaninglessness. Management wasn't unaware of this and a year ago we were given the solution: Agile Development. Meh...some good ideas, but long on magic bullets and paperwork, while short on common sense.

Also, the language/communication problem has gotten worse. There were always a lot of Indian and Chinese engineers, but when I started they by and large spoke and wrote good English. But the more recent hires, it seems, have been brought in with no regard to their command of English. The result: unproductive meetings, strange variable/function/file names in code, near-worthless technical specifications, confusing bug and field reports.

Advice to Senior ManagementApart from dealing with the issues I've mentioned above:
    Try to hire people for, explicitly, either San Francisco or Sunnyvale, so an entire team can be in one place or the other. The typical two-days-a-week Caltrain trip is a wearying, and expensive, time-sink. Besides that, people would bond with their teammates better if they really worked next to them all the time.

Good technology with a good culture

Sales Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsCompany focuses on customer needs and employees as well as driving revenue. Best in class solutions

ConsSolutions need more integration. Sales quotas need to be right-sized.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdjust sales quotas to be achievable.

FUN!! Tenure from $240M to $1.1B+

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood people and great CEO! We'll see about their vision but at least their not afraid to make serious moves and try to execute. To work there, you have to buy into their vision as if it's your own.

ConsOPNET guys need to get on board! They're still stuck thinking that the Cascade stuff sucks. But the Cascade stuff is THE leader in the Gartner MQ in the NPM&D. OPNET is NOT the leader but is in the leader's quadrant. There's still a cultural issue on the RPM side. OPNET needs to let the old ways of doing things go and learn the new ways.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't give titles to managers without the same level of authority. Waste of time and money; give them the authority to execute. Also, channel sales teams need quotas. The channel training has always suffered as there's no accountability with these teams and I just never valued any partner. Lastly, get rid of RPM RSMs. One sales guy with a core SE and overlay SE's/Consultants for OPNET, Cascade, Stingray, Whitewater and Granite.

manager

Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee)
    Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

Prosthe customer requirement grow very quickly, it is good to sell.

Consthe quote grow too quickly

Advice to Senior Managementgreat opportunity to be a part of your team

Worked for Riverbed Technology? Contribute to the Community!

Riverbed Technology Videos

Riverbed Technology – Why Work for Us?

Join the Winning Team Riverbed Technology and our award-winning WAN optimization solutions are changing the way organizations work. The pride, expertise, and innovation we build into our products and services are an… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Riverbed Technology reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Riverbed Technology CEO Jerry M. Kennelly. All 463 reviews posted anonymously by Riverbed Technology employees.