Riverbed Technology

Updated November 25, 2014
4.2

Riverbed Technology Chairman, President, and CEO Jerry M. Kennelly
Jerry M. Kennelly

Pros
  • Having worked at some other places I find a great work life balance here" (in 45 reviews)

• Great people, although that can vary widely depending on the group you're in (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing faster than its engineering process is evolving (in 12 reviews)

• Growing pains associated with transforming sales team to a multi-product solution sales team (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

A dying company

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Reston, VA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A good place for work/life balance. The vision of the company sounds great. Free snacks.

Cons

The vision of the company sounds great but the current management won't be able to execute on it. Riverbed is a WAN company and we're having a hard time diversifying into the OPNET areas. The OPNET acquisition has been a total mess even 2 years later and the current CEO/CFO/CMO/CIO don't have the mental capacity to adapt into the OPNET areas. We should have never bought OPNET.

Replace Jerry Kenelly. "Sell More" is not a viable sales strategy.

Great Company and Culture

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Real Growth Opportunity: In my short time at Riverbed, I've seen the following promotions of ISRs: 2 ISR Managers, 3 Commercial Inside Sales Executives, 2 Territory Field Account Executives.

Your voice is really heard: It is not every day that you can walk the halls and chat with Senior Executives and the CEO about your business and get real input or see real change based of your input.

Great Team: The Riverbed Team is Top Notch. From Engineering to Operations to Sales, there is real sense of Teamwork and working towards a common goal of success.

Benefits: Salary, Time off, Medical, Dental, 401K, ESPP are all excellent at at the top tier of what you would expect to see in the Tech Industry.

Cons

With recent pressure from Investment Firms regarding the Acquisition of Riverbed, it has created some unnecessary FUD that we have had to work through. In most cases, this has driven our team to work even harder to deliver the great Solutions that Riverbed Offers.

Continue to be open with the Employees regarding Company Direction and Strategy.

Fantastic Internship Experience

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Riverbed Technology as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The inside sales team a fantastic group of people to work with and management is extremely open, welcoming and supportive. I was pleasantly surprised at how involved and appreciated I felt in my role.
    People here seem genuinely pleased with the work they were doing and the impact they were having on the company.
    They also had plenty of events for us to attend, at least one or two a week, such as trainings, volunteer events and lunches.
    Definitely got to build some great relationships with people, so overall a satisfying experience.

Cons

Internship program was only open to relatives of current Riverbed employees and there's no way to move up or extend the internship past the 8 weeks.

Riverbed Technology Response

Sep 30, 2014HR Recruiting

We are so glad you had a successful internship, thank you for the feedback! We do have other types of internship programs that are open to non-family members of Riverbed. The Riverbed Accelerator ... More

Employment

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with.

Great work/life balance at Riverbed.

Cons

No cons to working here.

Should be more proactive with career paths of direct reports.

Challenging Work That's Valued By All

Current Employee - Marketing Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good management - there is nothing like the chaos I've experienced at other companies. I'm clear on my goals and I have what I need to achieve them. I know I'm good at what I do, and at Riverbed I have the ability to demonstrate that (and grow at the same time). Good work/life balance - I am happy to put in extra time when I need to, because I'm not on the hamster wheel all the time.

Cons

Growing pains as the company tries to scale. Sometimes it's not clear who's making a decision. Having said that, I'm positively amazed by how everyone is willing to fix what's broken (and do it nicely).

Keep giving employees the power to do their jobs well.

Riverbed Technology Response

Oct 27, 2014Director of Recruiting

Thanks for taking the time to post this balanced review!

Great people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lot's of opportunity to show what you can do.

Cons

Business growing more slowly than it did in the past

I love selling the technology but the company is going in the wrong direction and Inside Sales is a dead-end road

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The base technology (WAN Optimization) is really good and they dominate the market with over 50% market share. Customer support is best I have worked with. Name is easily recognizable and you rarely have to explain who we are when you cold call. Benefits are good, working environment is ok. HQ is in downtown San Fran with plenty of lunch and HH spots.I think this is a good place for engineers and support people and that's why numbers are high on here.

Cons

Bad acquisitions and mismanagement have led to poor earnings on Wall Street and my stock options are almost worthless. This has led to an environment of desperation in Sales and quotas are unrealistic especially in Inside Sales. Sales is a complete dead-end as only a small fraction ever get promoted to outside sales (I count 5 people out of the hundreds that have cycled through in past decade). If you are an ISR you are basically just an admin and cold caller for the outside guys. If you are a Commercial inside rep you get an unrealistic quota, a small hunting patch, and get to work twice as hard as the outside guys for half the money.

Get rid of Jerry and his cronies. He is an old-time Silicon Valley CPA who saw he could exploit smart technology people, most of which he has gotten rid of unceremoniously. His nickle-and-dime mentality and trying to "beat the street" every quarter is short term BS so that he can finish sewing up his Golden Parachute. Most of the execs and VPs are old goats like him and the consider everyone else pawns they are willing to sacrifice. It looks like we are going to miss our number for the 2nd quarter in a row which may lead to us getting bought out by Elliot Associates, an equity firm that will take us back private and clean house. Personally, I welcome the change.

Decent work if you can keep your head down

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The products that Riverbed designs are unique and interesting. You're forced to stay up to date on the latest in IT when you're dealing with their products, they are constantly updating them to the latest technologies and trends. WAN Acceleration, deep packet inspection, flow collection, network modeling, network storage, all are technologies that Riverbed products use.

Company benefits are solid. Ample vacation and great health plan.

Cons

If you're in sales you run the company. If you're an engineer or support you answer to the whims of sales, no matter how idiotic their requests may seem. Sales has an absurd amount of influence, even for a publicly traded company, and most of them freely admit that they don't totally understand the technology that they're trying to sell. Or they understand certain aspects of it but not others. As a result they sometimes sell things that don't quite work how the customer thinks it should and the technical folks are left to clean up the mess. If you can stay away from sales and actually focus on the work it's not bad. But odds are you'll be dragged into the quagmire at some point.

Listen to your technical staff once in a while for long term solutions instead of just trying to make quotas for the next quarter. Consolidate some of the products as well, there are way too many at this point.

Riverbed is a nice place to work though experiences can vary significantly if working for its recent acquisitions.

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time

Pros

California offices of the company have a great culture - open and employee-friendly. C-level management is very competent and affable. The company is working on the latest technology trends hence staying with, if not ahead of the technology curve.

Cons

Though some of the recent acquisitions may have been good decisions in terms of technology and customer base, the work culture in the acquired companies was far from top-notch, plagued by favoritism and lack of vertical communication. Nonetheless, things are improving, albeit very slowly.

Train VP-level management in recent acquisitions for personnel management skills.

Good culture, some home run products, others struggle in their market

I worked at Riverbed Technology

Pros

Great management, large amount of independence, solid benefits, good compensation. The companies polices incentivize winning behavior without being overwhelmingly overbearing or encouraging cut-throat behavior.

Cons

The company has pressure from the financial markets to increase their growth rate and have been taken some slightly unnatural acquisition steps to achieve goals. There is currently turmoil around the company's identity and value prop

Riverbed Technology Photos