Riverbed Technology

Updated August 17, 2014

4.2

Riverbed Technology Chairman, President, and CEO Jerry M. Kennelly
Jerry M. Kennelly

Pros
  • Having worked at some other places I find a great work life balance here" (in 38 reviews)

• Great people, although that can vary widely depending on the group you're in (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing faster than its engineering process is evolving (in 12 reviews)

• Still suffering from some growing pains from quickly expanding the workforce over the past 4 years (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Keeps trundling along, somehow

Former Employee - Software Engineer Networks (MTS)  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Networks (MTS) in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great work-life balance! Engineers arrive at work at about 11AM on average. The exodus begins at 5PM and is almost complete by 6. The Pingpong and Foosball tables are in continuous use after 1PM. A lot of people don't come in until lunchtime. Most engineers are away from their desks most of the time. Hard to say how much people work from home, of course, but no way no how is this one of those (mythical?) companies where people work around the clock. You can see that from the productivity alone.

For about a year-long period, I was depressed about work and putting about two hours of concentrated effort a day into my job. It didn't affect my performance review at all.

Cons

Product release dates were "soft" even six years ago, when I joined, but over time they've become fluid to the point of near meaninglessness. Management wasn't unaware of this and a year ago we were given the solution: Agile Development. Meh...some good ideas, but long on magic bullets and paperwork, while short on common sense.

Also, the language/communication problem has gotten worse. There were always a lot of Indian and Chinese engineers, but when I started they by and large spoke and wrote good English. But the more recent hires, it seems, have been brought in with no regard to their command of English. The result: unproductive meetings, strange variable/function/file names in code, near-worthless technical specifications, confusing bug and field reports.

Apart from dealing with the issues I've mentioned above:
    Try to hire people for, explicitly, either San Francisco or Sunnyvale, so an entire team can be in one place or the other. The typical two-days-a-week Caltrain trip is a wearying, and expensive, time-sink. Besides that, people would bond with their teammates better if they really worked next to them all the time.

Company is at crossroads

Pros

"Having worked at some other places I find a great work life balance here"

Cons

Career development can be challenging in certain departments.

Find ways to motivate employees and learn to absorb acquisitions.

Riverbed SE

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Arlington, VA

Pros

I've been at Riverbed for just over four years. Has been a lot of fun and challenging at times. Pay and perks are good.

Cons

The company is evolving so expect the headaches that go along with that.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Talented individuals and great work culture. Compensation needs to be improved

Pros

it is a great culture where employees are encouraged to take responsibility and are empowered to innovate. The company is moving in the right direction with respect to vision and shareholder value.

Cons

Navigating all the team and processes involved in getting changes done

Compensation should be improved. A lot of the salaries are below standard compensation in the industry. We need to stop churn with better compensation packages

network engineer

Current Employee - Network Engineer
    Current Employee - Network Engineer

Pros

good perks and good work culture

Cons

not that I know of any

Awesome experience, the people who work there are very friendly and helpful.

Former Employee - Internal Audit  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Internal Audit in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The employee benefits and the relaxed California culture make coming to work easy. I was only an intern that worked for them over one summer, but I definitely had a great time showing up everyday.

Cons

As an intern I did not face many challenges throughout the day. I would say finding a place to live for two months while working there was the most challenging task I faced.

Great culture and work/life balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The open floor is great for teamwork and communication. Everyone is approachable and friendly.

Cons

Career development can be challenging in certain departments

Senior Management in the IT Dept was terrible for several years - New blood now has a chance to right the ship

Pros

Many high quality individuals throughout the company in different departments and at all levels.

Cons

The top three in charge of the IT dept stifled growth by instilling fear as a means to drive results. One in particular with a proud military background was probably the worst but was clearly convinced that such scare tactics were beneficial, all the while employees were leaving the company left and right. These top level "leaders" of the dept repeatedly made poor decisions, alienated business partners and employees alike, executed highly impacting mistakes, and spent more time and effort covering up such mistakes rather than take ownership and capture learning experiences. Great case study in how incompetence destroys an organization from the inside out.

Identify your own shortcomings and take action to grow rather than deceive.

Friendly envrionment, but company is struggling to find itself

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

The highlight of working at Riverbed is my colleagues. Everyone is quite friendly, good sense of humor, very smart, and always willing to help out. While everyone's work hours and habits are flexible (another big plus), everyone works to accommodate each other. This creates an environment of learning and collaboration that is great for junior and senior engineers alike.

I also appreciate Riverbed's practice of integrating new tools and libraries into our work flow. At the same time, regular tech-talks are held to introduce said tools and libraries, to ensure everyone is on board with the selection and implementation. The best part is that everyone has the opportunity to introduce their favorite technology to the company.

In that vein, Riverbed is still a company full of opportunity. Every employee is encouraged to find new problems to solve with our products, to take initiatives to make our product better, more reliable, more efficient. There isn't always time for every initiative, so some things have to be done on personal time, but initiatives can be rewarding.

Cons

Following the last of the Pros, it feels like there is never enough time to do things "the right way" at Riverbed. There is always a deadline looming, and designs / plans are constantly being shaved down to meet deadlines, even if it does not make sense. Part of the reason, I believe, is that many teams at Riverbed are understaffed. I hear this all the time: "we don't have the resources to complete this feature on time"

Even though the Sunnyvale employees just moved into a brand new building, it already feels crowded. There aren't enough conference rooms, bathrooms, space in the break room is limited. The "open seating design" of the offices is great for collaboration, but horrible for concentration. Noise is a constant issue, be it your coworkers socializing, people talking loudly on phones, people leaving their cell phone ring tones at full volume, etc.

Despite many years of growth, Riverbed has yet to figure out how to scale itself as an engineering organization. Processes, designs, frameworks are changing rapidly, often without time to fully "shake out the bugs". This leaves developers as perpetual guinea pigs, experiencing the pain of working through half-baked procedures and designs.

As others have noted, compensation does not follow the market... especially since last year's $1BB acquisition of OPNET. It seems costs are being cut since this acquisition, and us employees are bearing the brunt of the cuts. There is little compensation besides salary: mostly stock-based incentives, and RVBD stock hasn't been very consistent in its growth. As a result, RVBD has higher than average turnover.

Enough with the acquisitions! Let's focus on growing our core business, including growing and retaining in-house talent.

Look forward to go to work everyday!

Current Employee - Escalation Engineer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Escalation Engineer in New York, NY

Pros

Fully immersive experience into WAN acceleration technologies - there's nowhere to go but up - there's so much to learn - awesome co-workers - awesome benefits.

Cons

Haven't found one yet.
    Haven't found one yet.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Worked for Riverbed Technology? Contribute to the Community!