Riverbed Technology

www.riverbed.com
  www.riverbed.com

Riverbed Technology Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2013's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
4.5

Riverbed Technology Chairman, President, and CEO Jerry M. Kennelly
Jerry M. Kennelly

Pros
  • Having worked at some other places I find a great work life balance here" (in 45 reviews)

• Great people, although that can vary widely depending on the group you're in (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing faster than its engineering process is evolving (in 12 reviews)

• Growing pains associated with transforming sales team to a multi-product solution sales team (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Perfect Atmosphere

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very open/flexible work culture and great place to work on innovative ideas. Managers are really nice and easily approachable.

Cons

Salary hikes are not good.

Better salary hikes and profit sharing with employees.

The best overall corporate environment I've ever worked in

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Greenbelt, MD
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Greenbelt, MD

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Top flight benefits
    Co-workers who are highly professional, very competent, and fun to work with
    Management is focused, consistent, and gets the most out of employees

Cons

Company is growing so fast that middle-management changes often.

Introduction of peer-reviews as part of the review process

Awesome

Current Employee - Senior Web Systems Architect in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Web Systems Architect in Portland, OR

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The WAN optimization technologies that Riverbed creates facilitates collaboration and maximizes employee productivity across worldwide locations. As a remote employee over the last 4 years, I've found the products have accelerated my efficiency, allowing me to do my job both effectively but quickly. In sum, the company enables individuals to grow both personally and professionally within a very modern/progressive corporate infrastructure - and provides tools to encourage success. This is the type of company I want to be associated with.

Cons

I can't think of any at the moment.

Keep up the good work

2013 Top Work Places

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Riverbed allows me to operate like an independent contractor in that I keep my own hours, manage my schedules so long as I meet the customer's requirements and perform at a high technical level. They stand behind my decisions and we collaborate internally very well. Medical coverage is over the top. Pay is GREAT! Incentives are always there to earn more.

Cons

I don't really have any. The products are second to none and have a great ROI. Management is very proactive and provides the tools I need to conduct my work. They check in routinely to ensure I am not being over worked and are interested in my wellbeing.

You Guys ROCK!

Great people + fun environment + high growth = pleasant work experience

Current Employee - Sales Operations in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Operations in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Riverbed is not political at all. The environment is very open and collaborative. The ESPP plan has a generous lock period. The game room and kitchens at HQ allow for down time. There are many smart and motivated employees to here. There is a lot of upside potential with stock options. I appreciate the financial stability of Riverbed in these uncertain economic times.

Cons

Stock options are not as generous at lower levels of management. If more of the repurchased shares could be allocated to non-executives that would be a great motivator.

Provide a larger number of RSU's for the lower-to-mid level employees.

Better managed and by far a better-designed product than in 6 or so Silicon Valley companies I have worked before.

Current Employee - Engineering in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Data-based decision making (most of the time), flexible IT management allowing engineers to configure their work environment, reasonable planning and avoidance of crunch times.

Cons

We are becoming a big company...

We have carefully designed our products to serve the needs of our customers. Now--because we are becoming a big company and informal adjustment between the like-minded co-workers is not enough--we need equally carefully design our company to serve the work needs of those, who serve our company's customers. Sure, there is a big difference in what works when designing an electronic appliance and a socio-technical system, but the latter can be done and can be done well.

Great company, great technology

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

very employee friendly, lots of smart people, great HQ location. products are market leading, and the company is focused on maintaining that lead with constant innovation

Cons

compensation seems to be a bit top-heavy. the company is also getting big enough where politics start creeping in.

Great Technology Great People Great Management

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Riverbed is great because it's really conveniently located in downtown SF rather than a business park in a far off land. It's great to be at a company with a very focused sense of direction which is helping the company continue to be successful. Riverbed takes care of their employees and has an open culture to encourage collaboration and communication where any employee can approach any executive at any point without feeling out of place. Our CEO sits in a cubicle just like the rest of us. That's pretty cool for a global company of more than 1800 employees! And who can beat Holiday parties at City Hall!!!

Cons

Some teams are recognized more than others, which has more to do with specific managers. But that's really a minor point. The overall management is terrific and really cares about your health and well being.

6 month employee

Current Employee - Senior QA Engineer in Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Senior QA Engineer in Champaign, IL

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Interesting work, talented team, good benefits, reasonable management, appropriately aggressive and accessible.

Cons

I actually have no complaints so far. Riverbed is a relatively young company, a pioneer in a nascent industry (WAN optimization) which makes it subject to the winds of technological change. So far the management has kept its sails positioned well, but by its nature there is risk. Still, a good place to be for the adventurous.

Guard the great culture that you have established.

Great company & culture

Current Employee - Staffing Leadership in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Staffing Leadership in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great leadership, technology, and culture. Founders are still actively engaged while most senior leaders have been with the company for 5+ years. Market leadership in WAN acceleration combined with innovation in new technology areas to broaden the product portfolio. One of the best cultures I've ever experienced - friendly, supportive, and a great work-life balance.

Cons

No cons to report, what's not to like?

Keep it up!