Riverbed Technology

Updated September 29, 2014
4.2

Riverbed Technology Chairman, President, and CEO Jerry M. Kennelly
Jerry M. Kennelly

Pros
  • Having worked at some other places I find a great work life balance here" (in 39 reviews)

• Great people, although that can vary widely depending on the group you're in (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing faster than its engineering process is evolving (in 12 reviews)

• Growing pains associated with transforming sales team to a multi-product solution sales team (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Senior Management in the IT Dept was terrible for several years - New blood now has a chance to right the ship

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Many high quality individuals throughout the company in different departments and at all levels.

Cons

The top three in charge of the IT dept stifled growth by instilling fear as a means to drive results. One in particular with a proud military background was probably the worst but was clearly convinced that such scare tactics were beneficial, all the while employees were leaving the company left and right. These top level "leaders" of the dept repeatedly made poor decisions, alienated business partners and employees alike, executed highly impacting mistakes, and spent more time and effort covering up such mistakes rather than take ownership and capture learning experiences. Great case study in how incompetence destroys an organization from the inside out.

Identify your own shortcomings and take action to grow rather than deceive.

Friendly envrionment, but company is struggling to find itself

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The highlight of working at Riverbed is my colleagues. Everyone is quite friendly, good sense of humor, very smart, and always willing to help out. While everyone's work hours and habits are flexible (another big plus), everyone works to accommodate each other. This creates an environment of learning and collaboration that is great for junior and senior engineers alike.

I also appreciate Riverbed's practice of integrating new tools and libraries into our work flow. At the same time, regular tech-talks are held to introduce said tools and libraries, to ensure everyone is on board with the selection and implementation. The best part is that everyone has the opportunity to introduce their favorite technology to the company.

In that vein, Riverbed is still a company full of opportunity. Every employee is encouraged to find new problems to solve with our products, to take initiatives to make our product better, more reliable, more efficient. There isn't always time for every initiative, so some things have to be done on personal time, but initiatives can be rewarding.

Cons

Following the last of the Pros, it feels like there is never enough time to do things "the right way" at Riverbed. There is always a deadline looming, and designs / plans are constantly being shaved down to meet deadlines, even if it does not make sense. Part of the reason, I believe, is that many teams at Riverbed are understaffed. I hear this all the time: "we don't have the resources to complete this feature on time"

Even though the Sunnyvale employees just moved into a brand new building, it already feels crowded. There aren't enough conference rooms, bathrooms, space in the break room is limited. The "open seating design" of the offices is great for collaboration, but horrible for concentration. Noise is a constant issue, be it your coworkers socializing, people talking loudly on phones, people leaving their cell phone ring tones at full volume, etc.

Despite many years of growth, Riverbed has yet to figure out how to scale itself as an engineering organization. Processes, designs, frameworks are changing rapidly, often without time to fully "shake out the bugs". This leaves developers as perpetual guinea pigs, experiencing the pain of working through half-baked procedures and designs.

As others have noted, compensation does not follow the market... especially since last year's $1BB acquisition of OPNET. It seems costs are being cut since this acquisition, and us employees are bearing the brunt of the cuts. There is little compensation besides salary: mostly stock-based incentives, and RVBD stock hasn't been very consistent in its growth. As a result, RVBD has higher than average turnover.

Enough with the acquisitions! Let's focus on growing our core business, including growing and retaining in-house talent.

network engineer

Current Employee - Network Engineer
    Current Employee - Network Engineer

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good perks and good work culture

Cons

not that I know of any

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Reality-Based Company With Lots of Competent People

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time for less than a year

Pros

* Interesting products to work on
    * coworkers are competent but not arrogant
    * good location (in downtown SF) ..and several other large offices in Sunnyvale, Boston, Bethesda.
    * we work well as distributed teams
    * we get our work done and have lives outside of work

Cons

There is always some process overhead and bureaucracy at a company this size.

keep working to make the products best in class and let's keep some of the small company values that we still have.

Awesome experience, the people who work there are very friendly and helpful.

Former Employee - Internal Audit  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Internal Audit in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Riverbed Technology as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The employee benefits and the relaxed California culture make coming to work easy. I was only an intern that worked for them over one summer, but I definitely had a great time showing up everyday.

Cons

As an intern I did not face many challenges throughout the day. I would say finding a place to live for two months while working there was the most challenging task I faced.

Riverbed is growing up

Current Employee - Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Overall company culture of excitement and pride for solutions. Good pay and benefits are very cost competitive.

Cons

The company is growing up and going through several changes right now, but I believe they are on the right direction.

Great culture and work/life balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

The open floor is great for teamwork and communication. Everyone is approachable and friendly.

Cons

Career development can be challenging in certain departments

Smart company with great culture that focuses on growth and success

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The focus is in the right places - have a great product and have the best sales reps around to sell it. Put processes in place that make it easy for the product to evolve and for sales to do its job.

Cons

Historically teams worked in silos and had very little contact with each other. It is hard to get synergy among the groups without several meetings to make sure each group is ok with the plan. Some groups historically have been resistant to change as they have been in their own world for some years.

Look forward to go to work everyday!

Current Employee - Escalation Engineer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Escalation Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fully immersive experience into WAN acceleration technologies - there's nowhere to go but up - there's so much to learn - awesome co-workers - awesome benefits.

Cons

Haven't found one yet.
    Haven't found one yet.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Member of Technical Staff

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment, talented people, good exposure to customer issues.

Cons

Distractions from the wall street news.

Riverbed Technology Photos

Worked for Riverbed Technology? Contribute to the Community!