Riverbed Technology

www.riverbed.com
  www.riverbed.com

Riverbed Technology Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2013's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
4.5

Riverbed Technology Chairman, President, and CEO Jerry M. Kennelly
Jerry M. Kennelly

Pros
  • Having worked at some other places I find a great work life balance here" (in 43 reviews)

• Great people, although that can vary widely depending on the group you're in (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing faster than its engineering process is evolving (in 12 reviews)

• Growing pains associated with transforming sales team to a multi-product solution sales team (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Great atmosphere, talented colleagues, everyone equally motivated to make the company scale greater heights

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flat organizational structure that allows a lot of interaction with higher-ups, more visibility into company direction. Very talented workforce that are all motivated to make the company/product better. Inspiring as well as challenging atmosphere to work in. Engineers get a chance to interact with customers/end users, which is rare for an enterprise product. No red tape (afa i've experienced).

Cons

It's common for teams to be split across the different offices, which can be hard to get used to. Open cubicle work spaces which aren't preferred by some people.

A Fun, Collaborative Work Environment

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good co-workers, willing to help each other out, strong products, excellent work/life ratio.

Cons

Work load can be heavy as we gain more customers

Passion for technology

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The folks that work in engineering are AMAZINGLY talented. Very bright, easy to work with and I have never had any issues working with them due to personality, language barriers, etc. My previous experience has been quite a doozy and Riverbed is a refreshing change. Our team is treated very similar to a start up, so we work at a very quick pace and sometimes the deadlines are daunting, yet I've seen growth in my knowledge and understanding of systems as a whole. In general, this place is EXCELLENT and I would recommend it to any of my friends/colleagues that are looking for a change.

Cons

Well.. It's treated like a start up, so it's a lot of work. But, you get compensated fairly and also have *some* breathing room, so that's nice.

Continue doing what you're doing. It's working.. :)

Very Satisfied

Current Employee - Software Engineer Test in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Test in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-- cutting edge technology
    -- friendly and open atmosphere
    -- opportunities to learn
    -- freedom to experiment

Cons

Nothing much to say on this

A QA engineer's point of view

Current Employee - Senior Software QA Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software QA Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management still has their hands in the product code. They KNOW the product.
    Also, management has been very agressive with new product development.
    Developer / QA ratio is quite good.

Cons

We have corral seating. This is the most dense environment I have worked in.

Less than 6 months in - no regrets!

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great culture, growing fast, no debt. Everyone is willing to step up and help.

Cons

Adjustment working from home in a city where there is no local office (have worked from home before, but always had the option to go in). All employees are treated like insiders for stock selling/buying purposes.

Don't be too quick to add a bunch of management layers.

One of the most fast paced, intense, and highly rewarding places I've ever worked for

Current Employee - Finance in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Finance in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work culture, great stock options, very fair compensation, generous work perks. Outside work functions are unmatched to any company I have worked for. Benefits are also top notch.

Cons

Long hours, small departments, and short staffing sometimes lead to heavy work loads. Also working from home is not encouraged which could help with individuals commuting from long distances.

More job reqs to help out with teams that are short staffed. Also encourage more work from home perks for those commuting from long distances.

Great decision to join the Riverbed team!

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company has a fantastic reputation in the market for the technology and consistently does what is right for their customers.

Cons

The only negative I can think of from my experience relates to being a remote / work from home employee. My on-boarding process was a bit of a "learn as you go" scenario. I believe that was due to a couple factors: 1- need to get up and running quickly with a new business unit, 2- our business unit is still finding its way.

Riverbed Technology is an innovative company, has great benefits and a wonderful culture.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Foothill Ranch, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Foothill Ranch, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people make all the difference in the world. People want to work with people they can trust, admire and respect.

Cons

If you're a remote employee, you tend to feel a bit disconnected. The sales claw back is the biggest deincentive to the sales force.

There needs to be skip level meetings to understand empoloyee satisfaction."

Silicon valley start up fee but in downtown SF

Current Employee - IT Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - IT Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They work very hard to keep that energized and fun feel of a start up even though Riverbed has 1800 employees and is publicly traded. During the interview process a strong emphasis is placed on personality fit. This helps to insure that the people you work with are people you want to work with in addition to being extremely confident. I truly like my co workers and management. They are also strong supporters of promoting from within ensuring paths for advancement within the company

Cons

It is a very sales driven company which sometimes leads to over reaction to end of quarter numbers. The total production change freeze from 2 weeks before the quarter close to 2 weeks after seems like over kill

Riverbed Technology Photos