Riverbed Technology Reviews

Updated March 29, 2015
389 reviews filtered by

Strategy and investments out of sync with market trends

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Empowering culture, very smart people

Cons

Company's primary product, for which Riverbed charges a brand premium, is rapidly being commoditized in the marketplace, and share is being captured by lower-priced competitors. However, investments in other solutions to grow and bolster Riverbed's business continue to be underfunded relative to the shrinking core business. This is across the board - R&D, sales and marketing, etc.

Assume a longer term view. View market more broadly.

Generally great employees but a lack of courage and leadership is slowly destroying this company.

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

As a long-time OPNET employee, when we were acquired in 2012 I was skeptical but optimistic. After a while I realized that my hopes would not come to fruition, although there are definitely some things to like about Riverbed:
    - Overall, the people are smart and dedicated. This applies to the company at large, but especially in Bethesda, where the OPNET work ethic still applies.
    - People are also kind and thoughtful. They want to do the right thing.
    - Management is willing to invest in training, which is generally of a high quality.
    - The facilities are excellent, especially in Bethesda (although the open office trend at the rest of the company is not a good one, despite what management might claim).
    - The benefits are generally quite good, especially the ESPP program and standard stock option distribution.
    - Engineering is generally left alone by other departments, which is usually a good thing.
    - The overall workplace environment is healthy - it is a progressive company that cares about its employees.

Cons

But here's the bad news: I want to make clear that I'm writing this not out of any sort of retribution - I left the company on generally good terms - rather, I want people that are considering joining Riverbed to get the full picture, which I think other reviews may not offer. I'm often mystified as to how Riverbed seems to achieve its high ratings as a company to work for - my only conclusion is that, like much at Riverbed, it's a triumph of marketing.

Some negatives:
    - There is really no leadership. Remote offices are left to their own devices. There is little-to-no coordination between development teams, even those that are co-located.
    - Communication is exceedingly poor. There are regular meetings to communicate some sort of message about what is coming up, but often this is blather from executives and extremely San Francisco (read: SteelHead) focused.
    - Management is generally reactive, not proactive. If you're happy, then they're happy to let you continue along whatever path you might be on. If you're unhappy, well, good luck getting anything to change.
    - Product management is scattershot at best. In many cases they have no idea what they're doing, content to guide product direction on anecdotal stories instead of actual data. Combine that with waterfall-like development approaches and you end up with products that are always playing catchup.
    - Riverbed advertises itself as a company where you can take the initiative, but it seems as if there's a small cadre of people in SF that really make the decisions without much input. Case in point: If you are a non-managerial engineer, your title is "Member of Technical Staff". Most find this ridiculous, but because some of the founders didn't like how hierarchical their former company felt, they decided that titles were unnecessary. Of course, they all have elevated titles.

Start over. You are no longer a small company with one product that hit it big. You are a monolith that needs strength, leadership, and coordination. You need to create a culture of innovation and drive, which doesn't happen on its own. Revamp the marketing and product management organizations, and create a CTO office that actually has some teeth.

3. Decent and stable place to work.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Practically 0 office politics.
    - Extremely good HR and immigration benefits (the former OPNET paid for everything).
    - Loose hierarchy, informal relationships with superiors.

Cons

- Not in an exciting field. Opportunities are limited.
    - Many of OPNET products are legacy and work in a sandbox like environment. Still no services offered in cloud.

Management was good.

5. Riverbed

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The facilities are nice and so is the location (although I prefer our old 199 Fremont location). Snacks in the breakroom is also a plus.

Cons

Like any place of employment, some people are great to work with, others not so much. Working here has its ups and downs.

6. Great company with very smart and interesting people and excellent products that actually work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Riverbed is a great place to work. Hard working people who are very open and friendly. Work/life balance is good. Products work extremely well and generally people are very happy here.

Cons

Currently undergoing many changes and company is at an inflection point. Concerns over losing good people during such fluctuations due to market pressures.

7. Top-down and consistent focus on collaboration and culture

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Many opportunities to work cross-functionally in alignment with big customer and company initiatives. This is culturally the most frictionless environment I've ever worked in--the ethic of "git 'er done" is pervasive across all functions and in practically every person I've encountered. The pace is fast and the work is demanding, but the explicit focus here on employees from executive leadership is superior to all my previous employers.

Cons

Very lean, IT services-wise. IT doesn't get in the way, but some of the niceties I grew accustomed to with other employers are absent here. The focus on cloud-delivered and off-the-shelf systems could definitely benefit from some integration and systems work.

Great technology and vision, needs improvement on execution

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great technology and vision for where the IT industry is going. A lot of smart, driven people to work with. Everyone works hard to make IT better for our customers and works in a collaborative environment for the benefit of our customers and bottom-line revenue.

Cons

The leadership is slow to execute their vision and communicate it through the ranks in order to get momentum for important initiatives. This is particularly prevalent in product roadmaps and marketing execution.

Communicating initiatives down through all levels of the company is important to ensure the great culture and to enable execution on the vision for the company. There are many times our own internal policies and processes are more of a roadblock than external industry forces.

9. Great Company and Culture

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Real Growth Opportunity: In my short time at Riverbed, I've seen the following promotions of ISRs: 2 ISR Managers, 3 Commercial Inside Sales Executives, 2 Territory Field Account Executives.

Your voice is really heard: It is not every day that you can walk the halls and chat with Senior Executives and the CEO about your business and get real input or see real change based of your input.

Great Team: The Riverbed Team is Top Notch. From Engineering to Operations to Sales, there is real sense of Teamwork and working towards a common goal of success.

Benefits: Salary, Time off, Medical, Dental, 401K, ESPP are all excellent at at the top tier of what you would expect to see in the Tech Industry.

Cons

With recent pressure from Investment Firms regarding the Acquisition of Riverbed, it has created some unnecessary FUD that we have had to work through. In most cases, this has driven our team to work even harder to deliver the great Solutions that Riverbed Offers.

Continue to be open with the Employees regarding Company Direction and Strategy.

A dying company

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Reston, VA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A good place for work/life balance. The vision of the company sounds great. Free snacks.

Cons

The vision of the company sounds great but the current management won't be able to execute on it. Riverbed is a WAN company and we're having a hard time diversifying into the OPNET areas. The OPNET acquisition has been a total mess even 2 years later and the current CEO/CFO/CMO/CIO don't have the mental capacity to adapt into the OPNET areas. We should have never bought OPNET.

Replace Jerry Kenelly. "Sell More" is not a viable sales strategy.

11. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent work atmosphere, good work/life balance, fair compensation, and a lot of smart engineers always willing to help if you have a problem.

Cons

Communication between engineering teams, and with other business teams (PM, Support) has room for improvement.

Riverbed Technology Photos