Riverbed Technology

www.riverbed.com

Riverbed

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The facilities are nice and so is the location (although I prefer our old 199 Fremont location). Snacks in the breakroom is also a plus.

Cons

Like any place of employment, some people are great to work with, others not so much. Working here has its ups and downs.

Great company with very smart and interesting people and excellent products that actually work.

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Riverbed is a great place to work. Hard working people who are very open and friendly. Work/life balance is good. Products work extremely well and generally people are very happy here.

Cons

Currently undergoing many changes and company is at an inflection point. Concerns over losing good people during such fluctuations due to market pressures.

Top-down and consistent focus on collaboration and culture

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Many opportunities to work cross-functionally in alignment with big customer and company initiatives. This is culturally the most frictionless environment I've ever worked in--the ethic of "git 'er done" is pervasive across all functions and in practically every person I've encountered. The pace is fast and the work is demanding, but the explicit focus here on employees from executive leadership is superior to all my previous employers.

Cons

Very lean, IT services-wise. IT doesn't get in the way, but some of the niceties I grew accustomed to with other employers are absent here. The focus on cloud-delivered and off-the-shelf systems could definitely benefit from some integration and systems work.

Great technology and vision, needs improvement on execution

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great technology and vision for where the IT industry is going. A lot of smart, driven people to work with. Everyone works hard to make IT better for our customers and works in a collaborative environment for the benefit of our customers and bottom-line revenue.

Cons

The leadership is slow to execute their vision and communicate it through the ranks in order to get momentum for important initiatives. This is particularly prevalent in product roadmaps and marketing execution.

Communicating initiatives down through all levels of the company is important to ensure the great culture and to enable execution on the vision for the company. There are many times our own internal policies and processes are more of a roadblock than external industry forces.

Great Company and Culture

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Real Growth Opportunity: In my short time at Riverbed, I've seen the following promotions of ISRs: 2 ISR Managers, 3 Commercial Inside Sales Executives, 2 Territory Field Account Executives.

Your voice is really heard: It is not every day that you can walk the halls and chat with Senior Executives and the CEO about your business and get real input or see real change based of your input.

Great Team: The Riverbed Team is Top Notch. From Engineering to Operations to Sales, there is real sense of Teamwork and working towards a common goal of success.

Benefits: Salary, Time off, Medical, Dental, 401K, ESPP are all excellent at at the top tier of what you would expect to see in the Tech Industry.

Cons

With recent pressure from Investment Firms regarding the Acquisition of Riverbed, it has created some unnecessary FUD that we have had to work through. In most cases, this has driven our team to work even harder to deliver the great Solutions that Riverbed Offers.

Continue to be open with the Employees regarding Company Direction and Strategy.

A dying company

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Reston, VA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A good place for work/life balance. The vision of the company sounds great. Free snacks.

Cons

The vision of the company sounds great but the current management won't be able to execute on it. Riverbed is a WAN company and we're having a hard time diversifying into the OPNET areas. The OPNET acquisition has been a total mess even 2 years later and the current CEO/CFO/CMO/CIO don't have the mental capacity to adapt into the OPNET areas. We should have never bought OPNET.

Replace Jerry Kenelly. "Sell More" is not a viable sales strategy.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent work atmosphere, good work/life balance, fair compensation, and a lot of smart engineers always willing to help if you have a problem.

Cons

Communication between engineering teams, and with other business teams (PM, Support) has room for improvement.

One of the best, if not THE best, teams I have ever worked with. Caring, engaged and smart people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The team is smart and capable, funny, caring.

Cons

Compensation is fair, not great. benefits are fair, not amazing. really middle-of-the-pack.

Make with the Silicon Valley-style benefits and comp, already!

Employment

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with.

Great work/life balance at Riverbed.

Cons

No cons to working here.

Should be more proactive with career paths of direct reports.

Fantastic Internship Experience

Former Intern - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Riverbed Technology as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The inside sales team a fantastic group of people to work with and management is extremely open, welcoming and supportive. I was pleasantly surprised at how involved and appreciated I felt in my role.
    People here seem genuinely pleased with the work they were doing and the impact they were having on the company.
    They also had plenty of events for us to attend, at least one or two a week, such as trainings, volunteer events and lunches.
    Definitely got to build some great relationships with people, so overall a satisfying experience.

Cons

Internship program was only open to relatives of current Riverbed employees and there's no way to move up or extend the internship past the 8 weeks.

Riverbed Technology Response

Sep 30, 2014HR Recruiting

We are so glad you had a successful internship, thank you for the feedback! We do have other types of internship programs that are open to non-family members of Riverbed. The Riverbed Accelerator ... More

Riverbed Technology Photos