Riverbed Technology

Updated January 24, 2015
4.1

Riverbed Technology Chairman, President, and CEO Jerry M. Kennelly
Jerry M. Kennelly

Pros
  • Having worked at some other places I find a great work life balance here" (in 45 reviews)

• Great people, although that can vary widely depending on the group you're in (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing faster than its engineering process is evolving (in 12 reviews)

• Growing pains associated with transforming sales team to a multi-product solution sales team (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience

I have been working at Riverbed Technology as an intern

Pros

Very smart people, lots of enthusiasm about what we do and how we do it.

Cons

Strong work life balance can lean too far in the life direction

Great start, terrible finish

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive salary, excellent benefits, liberal expense policy, great products that you can be excited to sell to your customers with plenty of new features that come along very regularly

Cons

Very arrogant culture, both among long-time technology and sales middle to upper management, questionable ethics practices when it comes to HR policies and their enforcement. Much of the "new blood" coming into sales upper management have brought in old colleagues, swapping out one "good old boy" network for another, except this new group knows less about Riverbed's culture, products, and customers, but does have the arrogance and harassment mentality that must have been high on the hiring criteria.

More thoughtful consideration to the impact on culture, employee and customer satisfaction when hiring sales and product management leadership during the transition to a larger company.

Individual Contributor Going No Where

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you like chaos and zero accountability, zero career expectations and unkept promises, high management turnover, poorly performing stock options and perpetual takeover rumors... This place is for you!

Cons

Zero upward mobility, lowball salary with no way of doing anything about it, underperform over perform all the same rewards. Be prepared to rewind your career while your manager is underperforming, putting the pressure to manage the gap upward with false or no pretense for reward.

Actively retain your best people by offering some kind of career next hop, demonstrate something that represents opportunity/hope, reason to stay, end the churn cycle. Chop the fat, there are tons of ineffective people being propped up by a few hardcore contributors.

Culture changing not for the better.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology

Pros

Riverbed Technology has always been a place to work, where you want to give more than your best. Just a great place to work.

Cons

The new Senior Management is trying to bring up the stock price, with negative changes to the work place. Good talent is leaving, while others looking around.

You are losing the Riverbed magic. The approach of you are free to leave, if you do not like it , was never Riverbed.

Strictly OK

Current Employee - Senior Escalation Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Escalation Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free time. Very laid back.

Cons

Very haphazard for a big company.

Get procedures in place for smoother operation

SOLID TEAM

I have been working at Riverbed Technology

Pros

The Senior Riverbed Management Team is very solid

Cons

The OPNET team had a very different culture that is taking time to improve.

Keep Going

FUN!! Tenure from $240M to $1.1B+

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people and great CEO! We'll see about their vision but at least their not afraid to make serious moves and try to execute. To work there, you have to buy into their vision as if it's your own.

Cons

OPNET guys need to get on board! They're still stuck thinking that the Cascade stuff sucks. But the Cascade stuff is THE leader in the Gartner MQ in the NPM&D. OPNET is NOT the leader but is in the leader's quadrant. There's still a cultural issue on the RPM side. OPNET needs to let the old ways of doing things go and learn the new ways.

Don't give titles to managers without the same level of authority. Waste of time and money; give them the authority to execute. Also, channel sales teams need quotas. The channel training has always suffered as there's no accountability with these teams and I just never valued any partner. Lastly, get rid of RPM RSMs. One sales guy with a core SE and overlay SE's/Consultants for OPNET, Cascade, Stingray, Whitewater and Granite.

Good technology with a good culture

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company focuses on customer needs and employees as well as driving revenue. Best in class solutions

Cons

Solutions need more integration. Sales quotas need to be right-sized.

Adjust sales quotas to be achievable.

Awesome Culture - Great People - Outstanding Work/Life Balance

Current Employee - Marketing Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Awesome people - very friendly, very helpful and very knowledgeable.
    No process for process sake - extremely practical
    Lightning fast response to customer issues and very sensitive to field input
    Such an approachable leadership everyone from CEO down - I have met Jerry several times and he is very open and honest.
    Extremely talented Marketing folks, social media greats and passionate sales.

Modern workspace - new SF HQ is par excellence! Sunnyvale facility is more than functional.
    Free snacks, drinks, game rooms and open culture make it possible to have fun and work.

All in all - in my 20+ years of experience, I have yet to see a company that is so well balanced as Riverbed.

Cons

Can't think of many but if you insist, lack of a proper intranet is sometimes stifling. The other is lack of cash bonus as some bigger employers pay - but then we are still a startup!

Retain your top people, keep up the great work, keep promoting internally.
    Don't cave into Elliott!

Keeps trundling along, somehow

Former Employee - Software Engineer Networks (MTS) in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Networks (MTS) in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance! Engineers arrive at work at about 11AM on average. The exodus begins at 5PM and is almost complete by 6. The Pingpong and Foosball tables are in continuous use after 1PM. A lot of people don't come in until lunchtime. Most engineers are away from their desks most of the time. Hard to say how much people work from home, of course, but no way no how is this one of those (mythical?) companies where people work around the clock. You can see that from the productivity alone.

For about a year-long period, I was depressed about work and putting about two hours of concentrated effort a day into my job. It didn't affect my performance review at all.

Cons

Product release dates were "soft" even six years ago, when I joined, but over time they've become fluid to the point of near meaninglessness. Management wasn't unaware of this and a year ago we were given the solution: Agile Development. Meh...some good ideas, but long on magic bullets and paperwork, while short on common sense.

Also, the language/communication problem has gotten worse. There were always a lot of Indian and Chinese engineers, but when I started they by and large spoke and wrote good English. But the more recent hires, it seems, have been brought in with no regard to their command of English. The result: unproductive meetings, strange variable/function/file names in code, near-worthless technical specifications, confusing bug and field reports.

Apart from dealing with the issues I've mentioned above:
    Try to hire people for, explicitly, either San Francisco or Sunnyvale, so an entire team can be in one place or the other. The typical two-days-a-week Caltrain trip is a wearying, and expensive, time-sink. Besides that, people would bond with their teammates better if they really worked next to them all the time.

Riverbed Technology Photos