Riverbed Technology Reviews

Jerry M. Kennelly

1. Sr. Mgmt

Current Employee - Senior Leader in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Leader in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A great company with one of the best cultures in silicon valley. trustworthy leadership doing the best they can in a tough situation of change

Cons

the deal closing took way too long and caused people to be in limbo.....now that its all done, expect the company to get back to the business of growth!

Advice to Management

better, more regular communication

2. QA

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time

Pros

Great people on the engineering team, smart but no jerks. Good work/life balance. This list seems short compared with the cons, but day-to-day working at Riverbed is really nice.

Cons

Profusion of overlapping products shows lack of vision. Mobility isn't good -- I saw just one person get promoted during my tenure there. After going private in 2015 the company laid off a lot of people in all divisions. This wouldn't be so bad except that the CEO promised "no engineering layoffs" when asked point-blank at a meeting prior to the acquisition

Advice to Management

Honesty is the best policy.

3. Tech Support

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great People, friendly environment, centrally located

Cons

Management communication downward needs improving

Advice to Management

Listen . Learn . Watch

Sr. Manager

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great downtown office location near Moscone Center, and well stocked snacks.

Cons

Don't let all the positive reviews fool you...Riverbed is a flatlining company and the marketing team is diligently submitting reviews to keep the company in a positive light. With sales numbers dwindling, company layoffs, and the recent acquisition by Thoma Bravo looming...there's a huge sign of uncertainly with the future of Riverbed. Senior management is oblivious and just waiting for their payouts in the coming months. IT has the lowest moral in the entire organization as the CIO and her VP friends have butchered the culture with favoritism, backstabbing, and total disrespect of individuals talents. The lack of communication from IT is appalling and it makes me wonder when the management team is uplifted and replaced.

Advice to Management

This once was a company I admired when I first started several years ago, but now I feel its too late to save a sinking ship...

Politically driven company with little runway on technology

Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Riverbed was once a wonderful place to work for and that has eroded over time. It has always been very politically driven versus a meritocracy. The products have always worked extremely well and I was very proud to sell them through my tenure. The employees always believed that Jerry (CEO) was doing what was in their best interest until the last year or so when key figures started to leave.

The office is in a beautiful location and is stocked with good snacks. Riverbed's benefits are amazing as well.

Cons

The company is falling fast. Looking at earnings reports (take out selling of product lines and see how far off they are) and make your judgement. Infrastructure is moving to the cloud and WAN based products clearly have a short term shelf life. That is one of the main reasons that key people are leaving. Riverbed acquired the Opnet product line and it was by most opinions a huge mistake. Performance management and analytics of applications are incredibly important but they need to drive those results from SAAS/Cloud based applications.

Overall the corporate culture is not what it was just a few years ago. Key positions in sales and HR have been filled with a lot of ex-cisco people who don't show much value in the employee. That is my opinion at least and I know it is shared by others.

They have blatantly made horrible mistakes in their layoffs. Regional Sales reps at 5-20% of quota were kept on and other departments dismantled. Much of this was politically driven and a calculation of HR costs. This is not how it was presented by Jerry in October. There are hundreds of positions that are filled by people showing up at 10am leaving a 2 after a 1+ hour lunch and are making 100-200k per year (recruiting). They are so desperate to keep talent until the acquisition is completed that they are promoting reps who were on performance plan, managers who couldn't forecast and employees who are flat out lazy.

Honestly if you really need a job this could be a good resume booster but don't think of this as more than a road bump.

Advice to Management

Jerry needs to be deeply involved in things and not trust his Sr. management. You are keeping a large chunk of your company on a welfare program. How do you hire a CSO making seven figures and then layoff people some of which were top performers. Your people are disgusted with you and your leadership team. Have some real accountability, metrics and promote your people based on the merits of their work. I was one of the lucky ones to get promoted on my merits.

The adults are (thankfully) in charge!

Current Employee - Director of Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I came to Riverbed after a two-year stint in a large Valley software company where chaos reigned and nothing really got done unless blood or tears were spilled. At Riverbed, I found rational people who are smart and capable, working on the stuff that matters, in an environment where people help each other and care about the quality of their work. Decisions get made, people get recognized, and everyone is treated well. I joined a GREAT team under a GREAT manager, and I'm still incredibly happy nine months later.

Cons

The company is experiencing growing pains, and people who have been here for a long time can be a bit cynical about the direction we are headed. But when 100% of industry analysts say they would recommend Riverbed to their clients (and they do), I figure our product and technology strategy is on track -- so the haters are being pretty harsh. We are also in the midst of going private, and there are a lot of people who want to know whether stock incentives and the ESPP program will be replaced with other incentives -- and I get that too -- but this is a company with a l-o-n-g track record of treating employees really well, so I for one am trusting that the company will offer all of us a reason to stay.

Advice to Management

Increase face-time with employees to let us know what you're working on to speed this transition. Tell employees about bit wins that demonstrate we are on track. Make sure the deal to go private protects employees, and really doesn't create a lot of pain.

Great technology portfolio for a relatively mature tech company still in growth mode.

Former Employee - Director of Channel Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Channel Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Riverbed consistently offers opportunity for career advancement and ongoing training, and values investing in their employees. Although I departed for another opportunity, I would work there again in a heartbeat.

Cons

One of the major challenges is the company is going private via buyout from Thoma Brava. Until that is settled and they inevitably restructure, there will be short term headwinds to understanding the overall strategy and key leadership that will be retained.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your people and make them feel valued, yet at the same time make certain to hold employees (especially long timers) to a high standard of performance & productivity.

Great Inside Sales Job

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary, true sales environment

Cons

Management out of tune with operations

Sinking ship

Former Employee - IT Programmer/Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - IT Programmer/Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Once upon a time, Riverbed was a really good company. Countless less parties, game room, carby snacks. Jerry is an amazing CEO !!

Cons

Most of the original founders are now gone. Now it's run by bunch of bozos execs from Cisco. Here comes the next phase of bozo explosion.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring Cisco execs!

Like anything, it depends who you work for...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good atmosphere, free snacks and drinks.

Cons

Some department heads are old-school and stuck in the past. Good-old boys club that is dominated by a sales atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites, old school mentalities don't work well in Silicon Valley.

Riverbed Technology Photos