Riverbed Technology

Updated February 26, 2015
4.1

Riverbed Technology Chairman, President, and CEO Jerry M. Kennelly
Jerry M. Kennelly

Pros
  • Having worked at some other places I find a great work life balance here" (in 45 reviews)

• Great people, although that can vary widely depending on the group you're in (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing faster than its engineering process is evolving (in 12 reviews)

• Growing pains associated with transforming sales team to a multi-product solution sales team (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

146 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

The adults are (thankfully) in charge!

Current Employee - Director of Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I came to Riverbed after a two-year stint in a large Valley software company where chaos reigned and nothing really got done unless blood or tears were spilled. At Riverbed, I found rational people who are smart and capable, working on the stuff that matters, in an environment where people help each other and care about the quality of their work. Decisions get made, people get recognized, and everyone is treated well. I joined a GREAT team under a GREAT manager, and I'm still incredibly happy nine months later.

Cons

The company is experiencing growing pains, and people who have been here for a long time can be a bit cynical about the direction we are headed. But when 100% of industry analysts say they would recommend Riverbed to their clients (and they do), I figure our product and technology strategy is on track -- so the haters are being pretty harsh. We are also in the midst of going private, and there are a lot of people who want to know whether stock incentives and the ESPP program will be replaced with other incentives -- and I get that too -- but this is a company with a l-o-n-g track record of treating employees really well, so I for one am trusting that the company will offer all of us a reason to stay.

Increase face-time with employees to let us know what you're working on to speed this transition. Tell employees about bit wins that demonstrate we are on track. Make sure the deal to go private protects employees, and really doesn't create a lot of pain.

Great technology portfolio for a relatively mature tech company still in growth mode.

Former Employee - Director of Channel Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Channel Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Riverbed consistently offers opportunity for career advancement and ongoing training, and values investing in their employees. Although I departed for another opportunity, I would work there again in a heartbeat.

Cons

One of the major challenges is the company is going private via buyout from Thoma Brava. Until that is settled and they inevitably restructure, there will be short term headwinds to understanding the overall strategy and key leadership that will be retained.

Continue to invest in your people and make them feel valued, yet at the same time make certain to hold employees (especially long timers) to a high standard of performance & productivity.

Great Inside Sales Job

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary, true sales environment

Cons

Management out of tune with operations

Politically driven company with little runway on technology

Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Riverbed was once a wonderful place to work for and that has eroded over time. It has always been very politically driven versus a meritocracy. The products have always worked extremely well and I was very proud to sell them through my tenure. The employees always believed that Jerry (CEO) was doing what was in their best interest until the last year or so when key figures started to leave.

The office is in a beautiful location and is stocked with good snacks. Riverbed's benefits are amazing as well.

Cons

The company is falling fast. Looking at earnings reports (take out selling of product lines and see how far off they are) and make your judgement. Infrastructure is moving to the cloud and WAN based products clearly have a short term shelf life. That is one of the main reasons that key people are leaving. Riverbed acquired the Opnet product line and it was by most opinions a huge mistake. Performance management and analytics of applications are incredibly important but they need to drive those results from SAAS/Cloud based applications.

Overall the corporate culture is not what it was just a few years ago. Key positions in sales and HR have been filled with a lot of ex-cisco people who don't show much value in the employee. That is my opinion at least and I know it is shared by others.

They have blatantly made horrible mistakes in their layoffs. Regional Sales reps at 5-20% of quota were kept on and other departments dismantled. Much of this was politically driven and a calculation of HR costs. This is not how it was presented by Jerry in October. There are hundreds of positions that are filled by people showing up at 10am leaving a 2 after a 1+ hour lunch and are making 100-200k per year (recruiting). They are so desperate to keep talent until the acquisition is completed that they are promoting reps who were on performance plan, managers who couldn't forecast and employees who are flat out lazy.

Honestly if you really need a job this could be a good resume booster but don't think of this as more than a road bump.

Jerry needs to be deeply involved in things and not trust his Sr. management. You are keeping a large chunk of your company on a welfare program. How do you hire a CSO making seven figures and then layoff people some of which were top performers. Your people are disgusted with you and your leadership team. Have some real accountability, metrics and promote your people based on the merits of their work. I was one of the lucky ones to get promoted on my merits.

Sinking ship

Former Employee - IT Programmer/Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - IT Programmer/Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Once upon a time, Riverbed was a really good company. Countless less parties, game room, carby snacks. Jerry is an amazing CEO !!

Cons

Most of the original founders are now gone. Now it's run by bunch of bozos execs from Cisco. Here comes the next phase of bozo explosion.

Stop hiring Cisco execs!

Spectacular company with the common trends of acquisiton pains

Current Employee - Director of Product Development in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Product Development in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-If you are talented they will pay you quite the generious salary.
    -Talent and loyalty here is unbelievable!
    -Products are cutting edge and a joy to support, grow, and sell

Cons

-Acquistion pains. They really need to move forward with the smart move of acquiring OPNET. It has been a little over 2 years with minimal traction
    - Leadership issues: No one seems to be in charge of all of Product Management and this is causing some pain. The BUs are in thier own silos and even within the BUs themselves I see a lot of disturbing signs of common communication problems. They need to get thier act together and if they can manage this I think great things are in thier furture.

This is difficult as I see some leaders in the company as being first class. I would rather not comment further

Great culture, enterprise baggage

Current Employee - QA Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology

Pros

Compensation is good, culture is great, office in SF so no shuttle rides needed.

Cons

A big company which has a lot of products, crusty old internal frameworks, and enterprise customer use cases. All cumbersome.

Like anything, it depends who you work for...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good atmosphere, free snacks and drinks.

Cons

Some department heads are old-school and stuck in the past. Good-old boys club that is dominated by a sales atmosphere.

Stop playing favorites, old school mentalities don't work well in Silicon Valley.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere and easy going work environment

Cons

Some Management seem to be in this "Circle" that aren't qualified for their positions

Doing great at hiring employees.. Not so much in selecting Middle Management

Dedicated Organization of People, But Losing Focus of Overall Vision

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time

Pros

- In my experience, I worked with quite a few smart, dedicated, and friendly groups of people, although some of these qualities are mutually exclusive depending on the department and what people want.

- Some of the company’s products (not the ones from acquisitions) are still top performers in the WAN optimization industry.

- Customer service folks are very helpful and knowledgable in the appropriate subject matter.

- Although at times it can be an exercise in indulgence, the marketing people know how to get your attention for Riverbed's products, services, and company values. They definitely know how to get your attention.

- Salary and perks are quite good.

- San Francisco office is at a decent location for food and public transportation.

- Some of the best employee training ever offered.

Cons

I learned a lot from working at Riverbed, but I should also stress the following fundamental problems that highlight the current state of the company.

- About the San Francisco office location:

680 Folsom was a modern makeover for the office, but I seriously questioned some of the design and floor layout decisions made for the company. My office floor was disturbingly sparse about a third of the time I was there, every week. Many office cubicles were empty, and a lot of departments moved to cubes with window views without needing facility approval. My former department was oftentimes one of the few departments present on the floor. It was a very quiet workspace in our part of the floor. If you manage a department that is all about cross-functional team collaboration, it would be best to move to a more populated area in the building, if the company is all about the open-office policy.

- Stock options that are of little to no market value and worth. I've never worked at a company that had as big of golden handcuffs (a.k.a. RSUs) as this place.

- Some departments thrive on processes, and others work with little to none. Developers that did not follow processes were, not surprisingly, the most difficult to work with.

- Poor vertical communication across departments, and sometimes within a single department as well. YMMV.

- Witnessed quite a lot of politics getting in the way of relationships between employees and managers. This impacts the willingness to grow in your respective field for career advancement.

- Product and project managers that lead and kick off projects based on anecdotal stories, as another reviewer pointed out. Not on actual, fact-based data. There were many meetings in the beginning of a project's development cycle that wasted other team members' times, and concluded with more questions left unanswered, delaying the overall project schedule and fleshing out the product roadmap. I sympathized with the program managers that worked tooth and nail to run these meetings successfully for all involved.

- No clear vision of where the company needs to go.

- The nature of the work environment encourages micromanagers to wear multiple hats and work in projects to completion, and take most of the credit because of their official job title.

- The company presents itself as a hybrid mix of startup/corporate values. I think this is a poor way of explaining the company culture overall to those who want to work at Riverbed. Riverbed is not a small company--telling job candidates about the hybrid mix is really covering up the chaotic nature of how the company operates. You either are a startup, or a small/mid/large-sized corporation. Don't pretend to be both. Savvy job candidates know how startups operate.

- I honestly think that within the next year or two, from watching the public stock ebb and flow, that Riverbed should be bought by a bigger, more structured corporation. Going private would also be good for the company and the engineering organization, but that only means the company leaders need to work thrice as hard to re-strengthen the product portfolio so that the company stock would be desirable and profitable again. Highly unlikely, given the growing competition with other WAN optimization products.

I agree with other reviewers. Riverbed needs to start over as an organization. Stop living in the past. If you don’t want to be bought out by the likes of Cisco, you need to strengthen your current product portfolio and re-evaluate your team leadership. If you’re a manager and don’t know where to take your department, get your employees on board and create ideas together.

Riverbed Technology Photos