Riverbed Technology

Updated October 10, 2014
4.2

Riverbed Technology Chairman, President, and CEO Jerry M. Kennelly
Jerry M. Kennelly

Pros
  • Having worked at some other places I find a great work life balance here" (in 43 reviews)

• Great people, although that can vary widely depending on the group you're in (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing faster than its engineering process is evolving (in 12 reviews)

• Growing pains associated with transforming sales team to a multi-product solution sales team (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

139 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

"Amazing Products & Great Culture"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The products are amazing! Every one of the products in the portfolio works as advertised. As a sales rep you know there will be no rear-view selling. Culture at the SF HQ is fantastic! The executive leadership has been able to keep a start-up feel at a big company. Inside sales team works & plays hard! Ultimately every company has its faults but the executives are willing to admit mistake and try to fix problems. Our Sr. VP of Sales for the America's is an inspirational leader who knows how to turn some of the sales execution problems around. You can complain about any job...and yes there are there are under-performers who will write nasty things but that's a part of being a big company.

Cons

Compensation for Inside Sales is not at the level of a lot of other companies. This we are told is being "worked on" but for now remains below market. The troubles reported recently definitely cause anxiety but that's the nature of working at a tech company.

Keep doing whats right for the investors and employees. There is a lot of love & faith from the employees!

Jerry, Jerry, Jerry!

Fantastic Internship Experience

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Riverbed Technology as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The inside sales team a fantastic group of people to work with and management is extremely open, welcoming and supportive. I was pleasantly surprised at how involved and appreciated I felt in my role.
    People here seem genuinely pleased with the work they were doing and the impact they were having on the company.
    They also had plenty of events for us to attend, at least one or two a week, such as trainings, volunteer events and lunches.
    Definitely got to build some great relationships with people, so overall a satisfying experience.

Cons

Internship program was only open to relatives of current Riverbed employees and there's no way to move up or extend the internship past the 8 weeks.

Riverbed Technology Response

Sep 30, 2014HR Recruiting

We are so glad you had a successful internship, thank you for the feedback! We do have other types of internship programs that are open to non-family members of Riverbed. The Riverbed Accelerator ... More

Great Company and Culture

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Real Growth Opportunity: In my short time at Riverbed, I've seen the following promotions of ISRs: 2 ISR Managers, 3 Commercial Inside Sales Executives, 2 Territory Field Account Executives.

Your voice is really heard: It is not every day that you can walk the halls and chat with Senior Executives and the CEO about your business and get real input or see real change based of your input.

Great Team: The Riverbed Team is Top Notch. From Engineering to Operations to Sales, there is real sense of Teamwork and working towards a common goal of success.

Benefits: Salary, Time off, Medical, Dental, 401K, ESPP are all excellent at at the top tier of what you would expect to see in the Tech Industry.

Cons

With recent pressure from Investment Firms regarding the Acquisition of Riverbed, it has created some unnecessary FUD that we have had to work through. In most cases, this has driven our team to work even harder to deliver the great Solutions that Riverbed Offers.

Continue to be open with the Employees regarding Company Direction and Strategy.

I love selling the technology but the company is going in the wrong direction and Inside Sales is a dead-end road

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The base technology (WAN Optimization) is really good and they dominate the market with over 50% market share. Customer support is best I have worked with. Name is easily recognizable and you rarely have to explain who we are when you cold call. Benefits are good, working environment is ok. HQ is in downtown San Fran with plenty of lunch and HH spots.I think this is a good place for engineers and support people and that's why numbers are high on here.

Cons

Bad acquisitions and mismanagement have led to poor earnings on Wall Street and my stock options are almost worthless. This has led to an environment of desperation in Sales and quotas are unrealistic especially in Inside Sales. Sales is a complete dead-end as only a small fraction ever get promoted to outside sales (I count 5 people out of the hundreds that have cycled through in past decade). If you are an ISR you are basically just an admin and cold caller for the outside guys. If you are a Commercial inside rep you get an unrealistic quota, a small hunting patch, and get to work twice as hard as the outside guys for half the money.

Get rid of Jerry and his cronies. He is an old-time Silicon Valley CPA who saw he could exploit smart technology people, most of which he has gotten rid of unceremoniously. His nickle-and-dime mentality and trying to "beat the street" every quarter is short term BS so that he can finish sewing up his Golden Parachute. Most of the execs and VPs are old goats like him and the consider everyone else pawns they are willing to sacrifice. It looks like we are going to miss our number for the 2nd quarter in a row which may lead to us getting bought out by Elliot Associates, an equity firm that will take us back private and clean house. Personally, I welcome the change.

Challenging Work That's Valued By All

Current Employee - Marketing Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good management - there is nothing like the chaos I've experienced at other companies. I'm clear on my goals and I have what I need to achieve them. I know I'm good at what I do, and at Riverbed I have the ability to demonstrate that (and grow at the same time). Good work/life balance - I am happy to put in extra time when I need to, because I'm not on the hamster wheel all the time.

Cons

Growing pains as the company tries to scale. Sometimes it's not clear who's making a decision. Having said that, I'm positively amazed by how everyone is willing to fix what's broken (and do it nicely).

Keep giving employees the power to do their jobs well.

Great people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lot's of opportunity to show what you can do.

Cons

Business growing more slowly than it did in the past

Awesome place to work

Current Employee - Inside Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Riverbed has a great work life balance, great benefits, best products in our tech space, and awesome colleagues to work with. Great and abundant professional development as well. Brand new facility in downtown SF that is spectacular.

Cons

Salaries here are on the smaller side compared to similar companies in the SF bay area. There has been some difficultly integrating some of our acquisitions but upper management is generally good.

Pay employee's a more competitive salary that is comparable to our competitors and this would be the best place to work ever!

Very happy, will be here for awhile

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People are extremely friendly. Once you understand what Riverbed is about and each product, it's very easy to see why they're great and that the company has a top of the line product platform. Very good benefits. Good work life balance. The company treats you as an adult and doesn't micro manage. Lots of resources to help you grow as an employee so that you can be the best in your role as you can possibly be.

Cons

None that are too bad for now

Would like to see more official processes in place. Ex: SFDC.

Riverbed Technology Response

Sep 30, 2014HR Recruiting

Thank you for your feedback! We are glad to hear you are enjoying your time at Riverbed thus far!

Individual Contributor Going No Where

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you like chaos and zero accountability, zero career expectations and unkept promises, high management turnover, poorly performing stock options and perpetual takeover rumors... This place is for you!

Cons

Zero upward mobility, lowball salary with no way of doing anything about it, underperform over perform all the same rewards. Be prepared to rewind your career while your manager is underperforming, putting the pressure to manage the gap upward with false or no pretense for reward.

Actively retain your best people by offering some kind of career next hop, demonstrate something that represents opportunity/hope, reason to stay, end the churn cycle. Chop the fat, there are tons of ineffective people being propped up by a few hardcore contributors.

Culture changing not for the better.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology

Pros

Riverbed Technology has always been a place to work, where you want to give more than your best. Just a great place to work.

Cons

The new Senior Management is trying to bring up the stock price, with negative changes to the work place. Good talent is leaving, while others looking around.

You are losing the Riverbed magic. The approach of you are free to leave, if you do not like it , was never Riverbed.

Riverbed Technology Photos