Rivers Casino (Pittsburgh)

Greg Carlin

1. Decent place to work

Former Employee - Bartender
    Former Employee - Bartender

Pros

Worked when I wanted to. Employees are fun, atmosphere is fun.

Cons

No growth, no Union, management doesn't listen to employees more

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more often.

Jul 31, 2015 – Social Media Manager

Thank you for your feedback and we are glad that you enjoyed your time with us. We wish you nothing but the best in your future endeavors!

2. Fun work

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Greensburg, PA
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Greensburg, PA

I worked at Rivers Casino (Pittsburgh) part-time

Pros

Fun work environment if you love makeup and working with customers.

Cons

Seasonal they just stop scheduling you and let you go without warning. Bad communication with management on that part of it.

May 22, 2015 – Social Media Manager

Thank you for taking the time to let others know of your positive experience working here at Rivers. We wish you all the best in your new work!

3. Valet

Current Employee - Valet in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Lots of PTO, benefits, free food/cheap food. Free parking

Cons

Work holidays and other busy days, union trying to get in and causing tension

Advice to Management

Have a better way for full time people to pick their days off, such as a day off bid.

May 11, 2015 – Social Media Manager

Thank you for your feedback on your experience in working with us here at Rivers. We appreciate your thoughts regarding full-time coverage and will pass that along to management.

5. Used to be better

Current Employee - Cocktail Waitress in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Cocktail Waitress in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Rivers Casino (Pittsburgh) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

cocktail waitressing you are able to keep your own tips. Really fun people to work with!!!

Cons

management is very unprofessional and at times degrading. You don't feel appreciated and always have to look over your shoulder.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staffs opinions with more of an open mind . Communicating with employees are a more professional level.

6. Decent job but no career

Former Employee - Driver in Astoria, NY
    Former Employee - Driver in Astoria, NY

I worked at Rivers Casino (Pittsburgh) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic benefits. Decent pay for a low skill job. Moderate upward mobility. Great middle management. Seniority gets you everything.

Cons

Upper management has no clue what is going on. They make decisions with no input from subordinates who know how it will really impact things. Part time workers are treated horribly.

Advice to Management

Create a board of both part time and full time dealers to work together to create or modify new policies. Pay attention to the people who are on the front lines.

May 22, 2015 – Social Media Manager

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about areas of improvement for us as an organization and we will pass along your suggestions and idea for peer boards. Thank you!

7. fun, long hours, smoke environment

I worked at Rivers Casino (Pittsburgh) (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co workers, entertainment, pto

Cons

Management , schedule changes every couple months

Advice to Management

Leave the schedule alone, people have lifes

Apr 29, 2015 – Social Media Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience with others and we appreciate your work for us here at Rivers.

8. Worst company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Rivers Casino (Pittsburgh) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

401(k) benefits, medical/dental insurance, decent pay, good location

Cons

They will screw you every chance they get; teach you one policy, then later change it and make it your fault; they fight EVERYONE'S unemployment, even though they fire so many people for terrible reasons; don't let them trick you with their tuition reimbursement- they'll find a way to not pay, or make you pay them back. Management is a joke and a bunch of slimy snakes. I wasted way too much time on this company. I would work for McDonald's before I worked here again.

May 22, 2015 – Social Media Manager

We are sorry that you did not enjoy your time with us at Rivers and we hope that your new job is working out well for you. We wish you well!

Good benefits, Hypocritical Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Rivers Casino (Pittsburgh) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free parking, free lunches (or $2.50 for a "buffet" lunch), great coworkers, fun employee events and promotions. Gaming positions make good money, especially tips.

Cons

Incredibly strict "no-fault" attendance policy, must work all holidays, must be willing to work nights and weekends. Company culture emphasizes "respect", but very little respect seems to exists between management and team members. Non-gaming and "administrative support" departments are paid below average. High turnover. Company also preaches opportunities for advancement and hiring from within, but outside candidates are usually hired over internal applicants.

Advice to Management

Respect your team members enough to keep them. Pay in line with the industry. Don't take advantage of good workers.

Apr 29, 2015 – Social Media Manager

We appreciate that you shared your sights with us and other prospective employees and current job seekers. We will take into account the Cons that you wrote about and will continue to work toward ... More

10. Best company in today's casino industry.

Current Employee - Pit Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Pit Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Rivers Casino (Pittsburgh) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everything, pto, 401k,insurance, management, people think the grass is greener on the other side but 99% of them don't realize that this is their 1st big job and for a company to offer what rivers give to their employees is absolutely amazing

Cons

There is none...Do your job and u will have one forever. They listen to the problems and address all concerns. Everybody puts the obvious. It's a casino and it's open 27/7/365 and it's the main part of your interview process so people can't complain.

Advice to Management

Thank you for being a great company. Hope people realize what they have before it's to late for them to realize. Thank you for the turkey and ham during the holidays. Thank you for all the employees giveaways ex. Money,flat screens, & Gift cards

Mar 31, 2015 – Social Media Manager

We appreciate your kind words, support and dedication to Rivers! Thank you for taking the time to let others know how you enjoy working with us.

11. Excellent focus on team member satisfaction and retention. Very strong benefits package. Exciting and fun

Current Employee - Valet in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Rivers Casino (Pittsburgh) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly and energetic work environment that rewards team members with an array of advancement opportunities.

Cons

As with any profession working closely with customers, there are times when your customer service skills are put to the test.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the team members. Great progress so far!

Mar 6, 2015 – Social Media Manager

Thank you for the kind comments and candor. As you mention, we will keep the team members a top priority.

RSS Feed </> Embed