Rivers Casino (Pittsburgh)

Updated October 5, 2014
Updated October 5, 2014
2.7

Greg Carlin

Inflexible, long hours, little room for growth.

I worked at Rivers Casino (Pittsburgh) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay for the area and consistent training opportunities.

Cons

You will never see a weekend off and if you are second late, even if there is an act of god, your job is on the line.

Loved my fellow employees, upper management is aweful

Former Employee - Cage Cashier in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Rivers Casino (Pittsburgh) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The casino atmosphere is like a party ever day. The other people in my department became family to me. Even my direct supervisors were great. When I first started my department had a wonderful Department Manager. He was one of the best I've encountered in my 25 year casino career. Unfortunately he left to another state for more money. Upper management brought in a 'friend' of the casino's GM. This was the case throughout the casino. Within a year almost every department manager had been replaced by the GM. Needless to say, my department along with several others has not been the same. Many, many people were fired, quite, moved departments or took disability.

Cons

It was very hard complying with managements demands, that were ever changing. Some departments NEVER got a weekend day off. An employee cannot clock in ONE SECOND after start time or they receive points, 6 points and you get fired! This wouldn't be a problem but over half the employees rely on public transportation(that can be dicey on running on time-especially in winter) also, the time clocks are located throughout the building and each department is department specific, meaning if your department is on the far side of the casino you cannot clock in at the first timeclock you see...one must punch in on the far side of the building. From parking garage(which was a nice a perk) to my timeclock took 20 minutes(which included a ride in employee specific elevator, walking through emloyee specific management floor). No big deal until you figure in the fact this casino is located in a 20 minute comute area(that's a minimum). I myself had a 45 minute comute, PLUS the extra 20 minute walk...I was way over an Hour to just punch in, and that was on a slow traffic day...forget about snow or rain or rush hour! Management never took this into consideration. There was a LARGE turn over the last two years I was there. My department especially. It was highly stressful and the new director was like Stalin. Needless to say he ended up getting fired shortly after I left. Ha ha, serves him right!

This is for UPPER management. Be more lenient were firing for late punches are concerned. Pay more money.

Table games

Former Employee - Table Games Dealer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Rivers Casino (Pittsburgh) part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of pros. Free parking, breaks every 1 hour and 20 minutes, low cost cafeteria, great people to work with.

Cons

Start as part-time hoping for full-time but then have to move to the swing shift. Part-time was cut below 32 hours so no benefits at that level. The point system is used for a purpose and if everyone would just show up on time this would not even be an issue. The customers are EXTREMELY RUDE! You have to have a hard skin to work here between customers swearing at you and the floors looking over your shoulder all day. You don't get any holidays and hardly any weekends off unless you are full time and have seniority to bid for those days.

Raise the minimum wage of the dealers. Also, create a procedure manual that is consistent for all dealers and floor supervisors that can be referred to when a case occurs.

River's not what you would expect behind the doors.....

Current Employee - Dealer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Dealer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Rivers Casino (Pittsburgh) part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The customers and fellow co-workers are what make the job a joy. Really enjoy seeing my fellow co-workers and familiar faces everyday. That is what keeps me coming back everyday, I have made some wonderful friends.

Cons

If your not able to go to swing shift here you will never be able to get full time. This is very sad, I have been here since the doors opened and I can't take the promotion due to my life. I believe I have earned it many times, but unable because I can't work a different shift :)
    Pay is terrible as well the dealers make peanuts considering what we bring in for this company $4.50 an hour is just an insult if you ask me.

Everyone has a different situation I think your employees who work hard and keep the doors open and provide excellent service to our guests should be rewarded. We all have unique situations help some of us out who have daily struggles....sometimes a few exceptions should be make. We are dedicated and very hard workers remember that.

My experience was good, I just became tired of the casino life.

Former Employee - Cashier in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Rivers Casino (Pittsburgh) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of PTO, sick days, good health benefits. Good supervisors.

Cons

Working holidays gets old rather quickly. Often times customers are not friendly.

You would think a casino would be a fun place to work but I regret making the decision to ever become employed there

Former Employee - Players Club Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Players Club Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Rivers Casino (Pittsburgh) part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Team Dining Room, Bonus Pay, Great co-workers for the most part

Cons

PTO, Flexibility, guest are very rude, poor management, point system sucks-you can't be late whatsoever, no loyalty to employees

Management is very unprofessional you would think this casino was ran by a bunch of amateurs

Don't apply

I worked at Rivers Casino (Pittsburgh) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is excellent and there are wonderful people you get to work with. They have bonuses and hand out turkey and ham for the holidays.

Cons

The work can be very demanding but that is not the problem. The company treats its workers less like employees and more like cattle. You are pretty much told from day one that you are expendable. Not to mention the high turnover rate. If they find anything you did even a simple mistake you can and will be fired. I had a friend who got fired because she accidentally added something to somebody's order. Also if HR is told you said something you're gone and never coming back whether you did it or not. I was there for years and one day somebody told HR i said something the next thing I knew I was escorted out of the building. I tried for months to dispute it after so long they stopped even answering the phone when my number came up.

Protect the workers

Horrible Work/Life Balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Rivers Casino (Pittsburgh) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The money is good and the PTO is good if you are lucky to get your request granted. You do no physical labor and get paid to do third grade math.

Cons

In any casino, be prepared to work every holiday. Be prepared to work horrible hours and have no work/life balance. Be prepared to have smoke blown in your face and see the worst side of people losing money and getting drunk.

The abuse on staff from customers should not be tolerated period.

It is a good starter

I have been working at Rivers Casino (Pittsburgh)

Pros

They hire every week. For many different position once inside the casino there is opportunities to move around.

Cons

Once you get full time it hard to move around

Get to work on time and have a great attitude.

Good for money, not for much else.

Former Employee - Dealer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Dealer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Rivers Casino (Pittsburgh) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is good in a market like Pittsburgh for relatively easy numbers work.

Cons

Difficult staff, angry customers, long hours and no flexibility. The staff had no concern with gambling addicts or how the customers treated their dealers.

Rivers Casino (Pittsburgh) Photos