Riverside Health System (Virginia)

www.riversideonline.com
  www.riversideonline.com

Riverside Health System (Virginia) Reviews

Updated October 17, 2014
Updated October 17, 2014
3.6

Richard J. Pearce

good place to work

I have been working at Riverside Health System (Virginia)

Pros

a lot to learn

Cons

need to care the employees more

Average large health care company to work for

Current Employee - STaff Registered Nurse in Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - STaff Registered Nurse in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Riverside Health System (Virginia) part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice people, good opportunities. Pleasant environment.

Cons

Always crying poormouth, very small raise, Try to make up for budget shortfalls by taking it out on employees.

Lead from the front, not behind

LPN- LTC

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Williamsburg, VA
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Williamsburg, VA

I worked at Riverside Health System (Virginia) full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Benefits, Awesome co-workers, Overtime. Recommends this company to a friend, but don't do a LTC facility.

Cons

Nurse to patient ratio 1:25, impossible to every finish your shift on time, not easy to transfer from one facility to another facility within organization.

I had a great experience working as a part time life guard at Riverside.

Former Employee - LIfe Guard in Gloucester, VA
    Former Employee - LIfe Guard in Gloucester, VA

I worked at Riverside Health System (Virginia) part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pros are, I received on the spot training, and became certified as a lifeguard as a part of the hiring process. Also, being a team member of Riverside Health Systems gives you access to all of Riverside's gyms and facilities.

Cons

The only cons I see in this position are weak compensation for life guards, being slightly underpaid compared to our competitors who received $9+ per hour to guard.

Other than equal compensation for life guards, continue doing great things.

Loved the atmosphere while I was there. Fun place to work and your work helps to better people's lives (or save a life!)

Current Employee - Unit Secretary in Gloucester, VA
    Current Employee - Unit Secretary in Gloucester, VA

I have been working at Riverside Health System (Virginia) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Meaningful job. Interesting work. Decent pay. Yearly review/raise.
    Differential pay for working nights or weekends. My base pay was only $10.25.

Cons

It was hard to fit in at first. I've noticed when there are new employees other "old" employees give them the cold shoulder until you earn their respect.

Employees that don't want to work nights should have the option to rotate day and night shifts.

Great culture and nice people to work with.

Former Employee - Analyst in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Newport News, VA

I worked at Riverside Health System (Virginia) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great corporate culture, high level leadership is focused on employees and patient care.

Cons

I don't think this is indicative of every department, but my manager wasn't the best mentor.

Hire better mid-level managers

Good Company, Great Employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport News, VA

I worked at Riverside Health System (Virginia) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Caring employees and staff, great company culture. You truly feel like you are apart of a family with Riverside. The employees go above and beyond with little recognization by leadership.

Cons

Hiring freezes, department downsizing, hard to transfer to an advanced role

Listen to your employees in order to retain great talent, there are so many quality employees that leave due to their voice not being heard or their inability to move into advanced roles within the company

Project Manager

I worked at Riverside Health System (Virginia) (more than 10 years)

Pros

Overall team effort work well with hospital staff and maintenance

Cons

New leadership destroyed teamwork that had been established for years.

Community Focused, Forward Facing

Former Employee - IT Manager in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Newport News, VA

I worked at Riverside Health System (Virginia) full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Close knit, 'family' type of employer despite being a substantially size regional employer.

Cons

Business units are granted more latitude to act than they probably should have. Many projects that require the same resources during the same time windows. Almost no central project/program management.

Adapt a more centralized project/program management process to target success rather than chaos and delays.

Don't Plan on a Career

Current Employee - Non-clinical Staff
    Current Employee - Non-clinical Staff

I have been working at Riverside Health System (Virginia) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Large number of locations to work. Financially stable company. Good place to get some experience and build your resume.

Cons

They have a large number of management that bully their subordinates, and are inadequate to manage people, but the organization does nothing to fix this. The "good-ole-boy" network is still at large and ruling here. Human Resources has put in place some ridiculous employee policies and "writing-up" an employee is common place, and no real protection for employees if false statements are made. They have policies in place that are just smoke screens. This is NOT a professional environment. Women and minorities looking for a career, need not apply.

The culture needs to change. The organization has sound principles, but your middle management is removing all threats to themselves and driving away good employees that could benefit the organization in the long run. Human Resources should be an advocate for the employees, not serving the Management. A professional employee should only be written up when a gross negligence has occurred or patient safety is truly impacted. BPA's are a joke as I have heard management comment to their employees that they know who has written which statements, and then the information is used to insult and ridicule the staff.