Riverside Healthcare

Updated April 5, 2015
4 reviews filtered by
2.7
Phillip M. Kambic

1. Obviously in health careers, understaffed but as a whole fairly satisfied.

Current Employee - CNA in Kankakee, IL
    Current Employee - CNA in Kankakee, IL

I have been working at Riverside Healthcare part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fellow employees help out when needed and expect the same in return. The facility is the nicest in area and there is always shifts to pick up.

Cons

There are always shifts to pick up and the pay isn't very competitive. Again being understaffed is obviously a con.

Advice to Management

Offer incentives for employees to stay and actually follow through.

2. Management is a big clique who prefer to toss out $$$ by losing good employees than paying them enough to live on

Current Employee - Office Worker in Kankakee, IL
    Current Employee - Office Worker in Kankakee, IL

I have been working at Riverside Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are a masochist it is a good place for you.

Cons

The management treats everyone lower than them in position as lower forms of life, sometimes with open contempt. They have the worst pay and it's amazing, because they have a revolving door & they are losing thousands of dollars in training every time an unsatisfied person leaves. But they don't care. They'd rather chuck thousands into the garbage than give anyone a decent wage.

They seem to think that RMC is such a great place to work that people shouldn't expect living wages. And then it is a daily nightmare and they threaten to fire people over nothing. If I'm going to make a crappy living, at least the job should be rewarding. It's not. And the benefits are pretty crappy too. Then the second you start working there they try to bleed as much money as they can back out of you for United Way and other stuff. The revolving door is alive and thriving at this place. I have never seen anything like it. Most employees smile and pretend they are happy because they are afraid of being fired. Many are afraid to even criticize RMC while they're out in public in a casual conversation because someone might hear them and report them. That should sound alarm bells to everyone. The manager training there would make most peoples' hair stand on end, it's so anti-worker and pro-Riverside. They claim to be non-profit and get all the benefits of that, but they also work with Rush so I don't know how they get away with that. Their philosophy is to squeeze everything legally possible out of an employee and make them dance like puppets, and expect 100% loyalty while giving nothing back whatsoever.

About the most horrible management philosophy I've ever seen and I have had long term jobs before this one. At least this experience makes me appreciate what I had before.

Advice to Management

Realize that even if people aren't there for the money, they need to earn a living wage for professional full time work. You could do this if you didn't fire/bully people into leaving and treated employees well. I do know the management philosophy at this company. They could care less about what I say, and they would claim I have a bad attitude. I started out there with a fantastic attitude and a lot of ideas but they made sure to let me know early on this is not welcome. They like to do things the old fashioned way and won't allow new technology in.

Advice is get rid of the old sacred cows and actually move into the future. Even if you're the biggest employer in the area, you don't need to abuse your employees just because you can. Advice is put people who actually know how to manage by empowering your employees in charge and get rid of the bitter bullies who are running the show.

3. Nice work environment, no real opportunity for advancement.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Kankakee, IL
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Kankakee, IL

I have been working at Riverside Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to get to - no commuting issues, small town feel, nice facility, good health benefits.

Cons

Lower pay scale than the Joliet region; not much opportunity for advancement.

5. Food Service Supervisor

Former Employee - Food Service Supervisor in Madisonville, TX
    Former Employee - Food Service Supervisor in Madisonville, TX

I worked at Riverside Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We cared for the residents.I made diet changes, menus, staff scheduling,cleaning scheduling, care plans, hydrations, sanitation, all the issuse the came up I took care of these thing. The staff worked hard to keep everything in order also. We worked hard to keep all of the problems in order. We worked hard to keep all of the problems in the front of the office.

Cons

We had a hard time keeping things working all of the time and we tried to keep the staff in the order to get everything worked on. The ice machine, juice machine, and some painting needed to be done. They all tried to get the jobs done and the admin. would try to help with the problems.

Advice to Management

All staff went to the management and most of the problems did get taken care of. We did get upset with the new maangement and we all tried to get everything staight. We did work together and got the jobs fixed like we were suppose to do. We all run into problems and we all tried to get it made right.