Riverside Medical Center (IL)

www.riversidehealthcare.org

Phillip M. Kambic

1. I have really enjoyed working here

Current Employee - Receptionist in Kankakee, IL
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Kankakee, IL

I have been working at Riverside Medical Center (IL) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, time to work on other things, great co-workers, sit down job

Cons

Not many hours, tasks that get done fast

2. The job itself is great, other factors may outweigh it.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kankakee, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kankakee, IL

I have been working at Riverside Medical Center (IL) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredibly flexible working environment. Easily the most flexible position that most people will ever come across in their career. You can come and go as you please as long as your work gets done ahead of schedule, you bring new and innovative ideas to the table, you roll up your sleeves and deal with end users and you have a positive attitude. Overall great people to work with.

Cons

If you want a pay increase, you'd better have some certificates, a BS or an MBA. Pay isn't terrible but you have to beg, borrow and steal to get a salary increase.

The place is full of 'yes men/women'. Projects are undertaken without seeking advice from underlings who will be completing these projects or other departments that may be involved. This leads to objects being suddenly dumped in the laps of unsuspecting folks and shoddy workmanship due to lack of planning.

The managerial staff allows vendors to dictate how the environment will be built blatantly disregarding advice given by in house staff who is more highly trained and knowledgeable.

Audits are a nightmare. (Probably due to us being a healthcare organization, not Riverside's fault)

Issues with staff are left to fester until they fizzle out.

The rumor mill here is huge.

Benefits are a pain. The insurance packages we have through Humana are sub par and Riverside forces you to jump through hoops to be able to select any package other than the most basic one (which is a POS plan). They claim it lowers cost. I'm sure it's on their end.

Advice to Management

Listen your employees. Take their advice. If you are ignoring their complaints and take no action they may stop complaining, that does mean the issue has resolved.

3. Poor

I have been working at Riverside Medical Center (IL) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you have no ambition and are uneducated and work for pennies it's a the place for you.

Cons

Compared to other hospitals in the Chicago area the quality of care is very poor due to the staff they hire. Everyone is unhappy, they let the good employees go and leave the uneducated locals to run the show. Money is the only motivator, meaning the cheapest employee gets the job. They IVO like crazy. Call pay is a joke. Nurses, except a few, are flat out rude and think they are doctor's.

5. Very poor experience in general.

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Riverside Medical Center (IL) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fellow employees very pleasant. Since the area is rural commuting was easier than in a big city.

Cons

Benefits not great -- the switch to the Humana medical plan caused many complaints; some went even as high as the CEO. Facilities were poor unless your area had patient traffic. Many areas are understaffed but upper management refused to add staff. Like other reviewers I also found many in upper management who survived by backstabbing.

Advice to Management

Some of the old nags who have been there forever need to be gone. Also, actually listen to what the employees report back, instead of merely paying lip service to it. Get a better benefits structure

6. Only if you are a nurse

I have been working at Riverside Medical Center (IL) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Warm in the Winter and Cld in the Summer
    Provides benefits but you pay thru the nose

Cons

The only people with job security here are the president, nurses and SOME of the VP's. Nothing is consistent
    They keep trying new things then snatch them away without really giving them a chance.
    I have workd her for a fairly long time and have seen really good people loose their jobs because the hospital has to make more money. You are not important unless your job contributes to the bottom line. Tell that to housekeepers and maintenance staff. Those departments don't bring in actual dollars but are understaffed and overworked. They add new buildings and areas but refuse to add enough staff to make the jobs easier. They play lip service to caring about their employees but really couldn't care less. The President and VP's sit up in their ivory tower and refuse to look at the problems that are going on. The mental health unit is rediculous - the stapler in the nurses station doesn't ever work right and they refuse to buy a new one. work areas are are hot, cramped and dimly lit. Areas the patients see look beautiful but behind the scenes......yuck. Backstabbing is the only way some directors can keep their jobs. Throw the employee under the bus! Employee satisfaction surveys are conducted but the questions don't address the real issues and are phrased to slant toward job satisfaction. Benefits used to be good but they keep getting worse and worse as these cheapskates try to put more and more money into the bank. God forbid that our Bond rating go down. That is sooooooo important. The only reason administrators promote patient care and satisfaction is because it makes more money. They don't give a hoot about the people.

Advice to Management

Read the above and get a clue.

7. My experience was favorable, just didn't pay enough

Former Employee - RN Team Leader in Kankakee, IL
    Former Employee - RN Team Leader in Kankakee, IL

I worked at Riverside Medical Center (IL) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Location was close to home.

Cons

The salary is lower than surrounding areas.

New Journey

Current Employee - Department Secretary in Kankakee, IL
    Current Employee - Department Secretary in Kankakee, IL

I have been working at Riverside Medical Center (IL) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After 25 years in a financial industry my job like many other people was eliminated. Two months after, like many people, I was diagnosed with cancer and was treated at Riverside. It was during this time that I made the decision-I am going to work at Riverside. The staff made me feel like I was a friend, not a number. They were so caring, attentive and professional that I wanted to be part of this remarkable team.
    I applied for a position that I knew I could "step right into" based on my experience. After three interviews and clerical testing I received the call. I did not get the job, they hired from within. I asked if there was something I could do differently next time and was told no, Riverside tries to promote from within if at all possible. While it was disappointing not being offered the position it was good to know they take care of their own first.
    I was determined and after about six months I became an employee of Riverside. I am fortunate to work for a company that cares about their employees. I am proud to be part of this team and one of the nation’s top 100 hospitals. Riverside is one of the largest and most appealing employers in our area. My journey began over two years ago with Riverside and my plan is to retire from Riverside. A smile, eye contact, patience and kindness can mean everything to someone. I go home every night feeling good that I touched people in some way.

Cons

None that directly impact me.

Advice to Management

Rounding to continue assuring all employees they are important. It takes all deparments to make us a great organization,

9. Tense and cut throat money is the only thing that motivates.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kankakee, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kankakee, IL

I worked at Riverside Medical Center (IL) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

some very good employees. Close if you live close.

Cons

Very cut throat. No motivation to go above for patients or co workers. Upper management removed from employees who actually work.

10. Riverside Robert G Miller Center is a beautiful facility with excellent nursing care

Current Employee - Nurse in Kankakee, IL
    Current Employee - Nurse in Kankakee, IL

I have been working at Riverside Medical Center (IL)

Pros

Short drive to work and the people I work with are professional and friendly

Cons

Tremendous work overload due to nursing shortage with unfriendly management. Cares about bottom line not quality of care for patients regardless of their advertising appearance.

Advice to Management

Get back to basics of quality of care for patients and respect for employees

11. provides for various basic care needs to mental health patients admitted to psychiatric unit of hospital

Current Employee - Mental Health Technician in Kankakee, IL
    Current Employee - Mental Health Technician in Kankakee, IL

I have been working at Riverside Medical Center (IL)

Pros

Riverside is one of the largest employers in the area and requires minimal experience for entry level employees. Provides ample opportunities for staff to continue education and certification to remain relevant and excel in the medical field.

Cons

more focused on being profitable than providing excellent care and a healthy work environment for employees. Neglectful of lower staff criticism of operations and makes budget cuts from the bottom end rather than adjusting executive's salary. Manipulates staff surveys to skew results to show improving staff satisfaction.

Advice to Management

Communicate with the employees who actually provide care instead of relying on unit managers, who are frankly, more interested in money.