Riverside USD

Updated August 21, 2014
Updated August 21, 2014
3.7

CEO

Great way for new teachers to push themselves.

Former Employee - Teacher in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Riverside, CA

I worked at Riverside USD full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great pay, lots of professional development opportunities, good benefits package (though I didn't use it). The schools are generally full of experienced professionals who retain a passion for the local community; most of the teachers at my site lived within just a few miles of school.

Cons

Lots of variation between schools on adoption of technology, common core acceptance. Obviously workplace politics.

Personalize the chain of command

Not Bad…

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Riverside USD part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You will constantly have assignments if you continue to work consistently. The schools in Riverside are somewhat better than other surrounding cities. In most schools the office staff are really friendly, and will make you feel welcome.

Cons

The pay could be better a lot better. When schools are short on subs they will make you cover a different class on during your conference period and you do not get compensated for it. I should add that in High Schools this happens 60% of the time. Elementary schools require that you stay the entire 7.5 hours as described in the manuel, even if there is nothing to do. They will make you sit in the classroom or help file papers in the office. We are paid to cover a teacher not to be paper filers.

Compensate subs for covering classes that are not assigned to them.

I have had a great working experience as a Prime time tutor through RUSD.

Current Employee - Prime Time Tutor in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Prime Time Tutor in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Riverside USD part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- $.50 raise every year working as a after school tutor
    - close to home
    - worked with awesome people
    - training every few months
    -rewarding work

Cons

- you can only cap at a certain number
    - can not grow within the after school community
    - a lot is expected of you as a tutor, with minimal pay

Tutors need raises. They are required to manage a class of 30 plus students, as well as teach, tutor and manage the class.

Substitue Experience

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Riverside USD part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most of the office staff I deal with *middle and high schools) are on the ball and friendly. They are ready to handle discipline issues if they arise, and usually keep you prepared if any changes are in order.

Cons

There's not a lot of uniformity between the different schools. It makes interpreting the rules a little tricky at times.

it was wonderful experience but the area in that district is really bad to live in

Current Employee - Tutor in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Tutor in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Riverside USD

Pros

they are a very friendly place to work for all the teachers in the district are very intelligent and work really hard for their students.

Cons

its in a really bad location for working as a teacher and the parents can be a tad rude to the teachers but that can happen anywhere though

none

Management is trying to do a good job of budgeting, but is increasingly encroaching on the teacher's ability to teach.

Current Employee - Teacher in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Riverside USD

Pros

excellent community support the district has done a pretty good job of trying to plan for and weather the present fiscal crisis.

Cons

Not very many site managers filter or edit the district office directives and tailor those direcives to be more applicable at the site level. they simply step aside and pass it on through to the teachers

Allow the site managers authority to edit or tailor district office edicts so that those edicts may be more effectively carried out at the site level. the superintendent says that creativity or thinking out of the box is good but I don't see it translating to the classroom level.