Riverstone Residential Group

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015
3.6

Terry Danner

Pros
  • Motivational leadership, mentoring and promoting from within make this company a standout (in 11 reviews)

• Working for Riverstone Residential has giving me an whole new look on Property Management (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work long hours work life balance may be a struggle for new people to the workforce (in 16 reviews)

• Many smaller, lesser known or local property managers offer a better wage (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

It's an average company to work for with many growth opportunities.

Former Employee - Corporate
    Former Employee - Corporate

I worked at Riverstone Residential Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits; A lot of internal promotions.

Cons

Top heavy; pay scales too diverse and favors Operations positions; Terrible work/life balance; Departments very short-staffed.

Show more respect to the onsite associates who work very hard and are the bread and butter of the company. Treat all support team members kindly.

Excellent room for growth in a supportive team environment.

Current Employee - Property Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Riverstone Residential Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is constant room for personal and professional growth. Ongoing training to keep you at the top of the industry, mentorship programs to help you stay focused, organized, and at your very best, and a true sense of community and family. Everyone seems to love watching those around them succeed.

Cons

If you're a workaholic like I can tend to be, there can be a strain on your work/life balance that can catch up if you don't manage your time efficiently. Compensation at the property level could be a little higher in areas where cost of living is higher.

Continue with the training and mentorship programs, and have upper management look at the vacation time accrued by site staff to make sure they are using it and getting their needed vacations before they get burned out.

This is a great company with amazing leadership!

Current Employee - Property Manager in Puyallup, WA
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Puyallup, WA

I have been working at Riverstone Residential Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This companies values are not just spoken they are shown from the leasing consultants to the CEO.

Cons

None none none none none

Need to be more employee and customer focused

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Boise, ID

I worked at Riverstone Residential Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very good benefits, medical, dental, vision, life. 2nd largest multi-family property management company in the U.S. and recently acquired by the #1 largest multi-family property management company in the U.S.; Greybar. Many of the properties Riverstone manages us some of the latest software in the property management industry such as Yardi and Yieldstar.

I sought employment primarily to learn the property management business, and I believe I have accomplished that within the 5 months that I worked there as a leasing consultant. I am looking into purchasing some rental property in the next couple years. I was exposed to the good and bad property managers and upper level managers (regionals).

I know more about property management than I did before I worked there. Objective achieved!

Cons

Leasing Consultants are paid peanuts for the amount of work you are required to do. They think a $40 bonus for leasing an apartment is incentive enough in spite of low pay. You don't see the bonus until they move in, and its up to you to keep track of this or a property manager just may pocket this bonus, after all they are the ones who account for them and some are shady and completely out for themselves. Also, the bonus is taxed to hell! You would see $24 out of those $40 bonuses.

This company does not believe in training. They have an online training program called Lease Hawk. There are some good courses and information, but must of it you can just click through which everyone does. This is a very cheap and inexpensive way to say you train your employees. The skills required to be a leasing consultant or property manager are not run of the mill, they are very specialized. What I mean is, you have to learn this job, and there is quite a bit to it.

This company has a really high turn-over rate between leasing consultants and property managers. The main reason: pay. Many smaller, lesser known or local property managers offer a better wage. They do nothing to make themselves more competitive in this way, and can ill-afford to lose employees and the skill set they acquire working in this industry, especially being that they promote from within. They promote from within, but don't train from within. I had to learn a lot of my job through Google and other resources.

Hopefully the merger will bring some much needed, and sweeping changes. To sum it all up, this company lacks leadership from the top down. No one has any since of direction like a ship without a rudder.

TRAIN YOUR EMPLOYEES!!!!!!!!

Too big for their own britches

Current Employee - Director in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Director in Denver, CO

Pros

Great benefits. Great tools, such as Pop card, etc

Cons

Dis functional corporate structure, lack of communication company wide, talk a great talk, but fall short of walking the walk. Higher up (AVP level and above) are out of touch with realities of what happens in the field, hired individuals being paid to work the markets go unheard when trying to relay insight. Mans club mentality (good ole boy club). Very political. If you are a brown nose advocate, you may just go far. Not my style.

Stop promoting inexperienced babies, and LISTEN or even respond when you have numerous individuals trying to reach out to inform you of bad things going on with supervisors. You have lost a LOT of great talent recently, and no, it's NOT due to the merger of Greystar/Riverstone! Serious changes need made in the leaders of this company. People have become stagnant in their cushy jobs.

Horrible Culture and Place to Work

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Cordova, TN
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Cordova, TN

I worked at Riverstone Residential Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

great benefits, inclusive employer as far as sexual orientation, great commission for leasing consultants

Cons

Management is very biased and has their favorites, all the company cares about is how many leases that you got. Company has a very high turnover. Management does not care about you or the residents at the property but all they care about is their bonuses. Management does not listen to concerns at all. The corporate culture is terrible. I would not suggest working here.

Listen to your employees and give them a second chance. Make your employees feel valued or you will continue having a high turnover of employees.

Riverstone Sucks

Former Employee - AP Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - AP Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Riverstone Residential Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Ok benefits, ok staff except for upper mgmt.

Cons

Treat you as if you're nothing, expect you to act like a stepford

HORRIBLE CULTURE

Former Employee - Regional Property Manager
    Former Employee - Regional Property Manager

I worked at Riverstone Residential Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Riverstone offers fair benefits to both on-site and corporate associates; They are a large national company with many opportunties for internal growth...as long as you know the right people.

Cons

The culture within Riverstone horrible! Senior Level and Mid Level Managment have "clicks" that HATE eachother and will spread rummors just to stir the pot. They talk about being honest; transparent and ethical...what a JOKE! If you have a legal complaint about your supervisor or a hostile work environment, keep it to yourself because HR doesn't take you seriously and Senior Executives will protect thier own people...Recognition is not based on merit, it is more of a popularitiy contest. If you are not attractive and don't laugh off the sexist jokes, you are blacklisted. You have to "play to stay".

Require your Leaders to take sensitivity training, enforce the Sexual Harrasment Policies you claim to have and start standing behind what you say. Words are meaningless if there are no actions behind them...Walk the Talk!

Very corporate but surprisingly good to employees

Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Portland, OR

Pros

Great opportunity for advancement, transfer and training.

Cons

Some horrible mid management that goes unnoticed by upper management. Example.. In Portland a group of senior and regional property managers are known as the "Mean Girls Club" by employees because they are extremely rude and disrespectful ,, demand unpaid overtime, etc.

Look into properties with very high turnover.. possibly the senior managers are not living up to expectations and are bs'ing you.

Great Employer!

I have been working at Riverstone Residential Group full-time

Pros

Riverstone is an awesome company to work for. They are on the cutting edge of their industry. Best practices and great education department with in-depth training program for new employees. They hire great employees so they can trust them to manage their workload efficiently. Lots of opportunities to advance.

Cons

Sometimes it's hard to balance the difficulty of each property to equally divide the work. This causes some employees to feel like they are tasked heavier than others even though it appears that they have a lower workload. I think Riverstone does a great job of proactively adjusting this for employees as best as possible.

Post bonus and advancement opportunities in a central location with processes for employees to reference.

Riverstone Residential Group Photos