Riverwind Casino

Updated August 13, 2014
Updated August 13, 2014
3.3

CEO

This was the most hectic and boring job I've ever loved

Former Employee - Players Club Associate  in  Norman, OK
    Former Employee - Players Club Associate in Norman, OK

I worked at Riverwind Casino part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fellow co-workers were great and the chance to meet people from all over was exciting. I was classified as part-time but I normally worked 40 hours per week. On Friday nights, I came in to work early to help with the "Guys Night" rush. It was hectic until about 9 or so but it tapered off about 3 AM. Early mornings were the hardest to try to stay awake. I would recommend everyone try working at a casino at least once. It was a great experience.

Cons

Pay was not the greatest and 3rd shift was difficult to get used to. I haven't worked at too many places but the gossip seemed a little excessive to me, maybe it was just my department.

Look for untapped talent in all areas. I would have remained an employee but I received an offer for a higher paying job closer to home.

Excellent Coworkers, benefits dropping, poor upper management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Norman, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norman, OK

I worked at Riverwind Casino

Pros

The pay is good when compared to the same job with other companies. Matched 401K plan up to 5%. There are lots of opportunities to learn additional skills to use in the workplace. Advancement opportunities are definitely available for those that apply themselves (though non-natives may have to apply more frequently. The company is not private about native preference, so you know what the score is from day one). The company encourages growth, both personally and professionally. Wonderful, wonderful coworkers!

Cons

It is nearly impossible to have a personal/family life unless you have been with the company for 8 years to "earn" the better shifts. No health insurance if you work less than 38 hours a week and most positions are now hiring at 29 hours or less. Upper management does a poor job of communicating expectations to entry level employees. "Motivation" often comes across as browbeating and trying to force human beings to be robots. Many supervisors have not been trained to properly deal with the people under them.

Morale is absolutely terrible among the staff, especially on an entry level. If you want to see your employees step up their game, set the example! More than anything, talk to your people like humans and set realistic expectations. We can't provide a fun, entertaining atmosphere that drives our business with morale being so low.

Hard to move up.

Former Employee - Catering Chef  in  Norman, OK
    Former Employee - Catering Chef in Norman, OK

I worked at Riverwind Casino full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cheap/free meals, certain hotel perks, great health benefits, special events for employees.

Cons

Near impossible to transfer to another department, upper management over looks the little guys, drunk/unruly customers, very little upward movement unless you are american indian.

Make efforts to help employees grow within the company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I worked here for a couple of months and in the end, it really wasn't worth the stress.

Former Employee - Cook  in  Norman, OK
    Former Employee - Cook in Norman, OK

I worked at Riverwind Casino part-time for less than a year

Pros

On site laundry
    Plenty of on-site food

Cons

stress
    managerial hierarchy
    they'll act angry if you legitimately call in sick

put yourself in the shoes of the bottom level employees

Wonderful place to work

Current Employee - Valet- First Shift  in  Norman, OK
    Current Employee - Valet- First Shift in Norman, OK

I have been working at Riverwind Casino

Pros

Riverwind Casino, owned by the Chickasaw Nation of Oklahoma, is a wonderful place to work with amazing benefits. I love my employer.

Cons

Smoke, as it is a casino. You must be able to walk a distance to the actual employee entrance, because you must park in the parking lot west of the casino. Nothing horrible.

I don't have too many complaints about Riverwind Casino, but I do wish their uniforms weren't so disgusting. They are hideous.

Riverwind Casino

Former Employee - Electronic Games Associate
    Former Employee - Electronic Games Associate

I worked at Riverwind Casino

Pros

Decent pay for a job requiring no education. If you like a lot of people then this is a good place to work.

Cons

Lots of male management always hitting on workers. If you don't like an environment where there are lots of people coming in and out then this is not a good place.

Don't be so lazy. Upper management should get a tighter hold on lower management or upper management needs to be replaced.

Fun place to work

I worked at Riverwind Casino full-time

Pros

Great benefits, great business and colleague relationships

Cons

Stress level too high , support structure needed

Find ways to help with stress relief.

Worked for Riverwind Casino? Contribute to the Community!