Rivet Software

Updated July 7, 2014
2.5

Rivet Software CEO & Co-Founder Madelaine Rohan
Madelaine Rohan

Great people, lack of vision and direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Rivet Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people that work here are great! They seem to care about you outside of work as well as during office hours.

Cons

There is a lack of vision. Too many hands in the cookie jar in all decisions. Lack of resources leads to fast burnout of employees.

It would be great if we took action to keep our employees happy instead of always thinking about how we can get along when they leave.

No place to move up

Current Employee - XBRL Technologist  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - XBRL Technologist in Denver, CO

I have been working at Rivet Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's easy to take time off. The work life balance is excellent.

Cons

From this position, it's hard to move anywhere else in the company. XBRL is a niche market and not easily transferred.

Somewhat of a roller coaster

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at Rivet Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of independence, opportunity to learn new technologies and grow your career as much as you'd like.

Cons

Leadership is somewhat limited, employee resources are limited, not tons of opportunity for growth at the moment. When people leave for other jobs, it seems the positions are just left unfilled.

Be more straightforward with everyone, explain as much of your actions as possible, listen to and respond to the feedback given. Take the money that you are saving when an employee leaves, and invest it in hiring another.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Roller Coaster

I have been working at Rivet Software

Pros

Relaxed company that allows you to grow within the organization, small perks that accommodate employees such as soda machines, bagel Wednesdays, and adjusting your schedule to fit your needs.

Cons

The management team is the only team that grows, which creates a top-heavy organization resulting in a lot of managers. Managers don't do a good job of recognizing the effort by the employees except for the CEO. This isn't a company that works well together because everyone is trying to out do each other. The competition to get things done and be the one who did gets credit really gets in the way of achieving results.

Talk to every employee about their manager and see how effective everyone is. Talking to the managers about how things are going isn't an effective way to gain feedback. Do employee reviews, make us accountable.

A roller coaster of ups and downs

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Rivet Software full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some of the best and brightest people I have ever worked with.

Cons

So many years of no direction. To many employees that have come and gone to even keep track of. No one can figure out how to really make this Company a success.

An honest review of this company and what it's like to work there

Current Employee - Senior XBRL Accountant  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior XBRL Accountant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Rivet Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great compensation, excellent advancement opportunities, laid back company culture and office atmosphere, incredible schedule flexibility (you have the ability to evaluate your personal workload and decide when to complete it with the best interest of the company in mind. Employees here have been hired with the assumption that they don’t need to be micro-managed), incredibly talented and friendly co-workers, undoubtedly one of the best places in Denver to work despite our previous setbacks and hardships.

You may be reading this now very confused as to why there is such a deviation between the negative and positive reviews of the company on Glassdoor. The reason is that the company grew too quickly at one point due to a Securities and Exchange Commission mandate, and after Rivet pioneered this particular business model, extensive reorganization had to take place to transition the company from a service organization back to its roots as a software company. Many short term employees were hired and had to be laid off, and a lot of them were under qualified and overpaid, and the negative reviews are from those people that are understandably upset that they can no longer be here.

The truth is that this is an absolutely incredible place to work. This organization is full of extremely talented developers and business professionals, and we've succeeded in the past and will continue to be the pioneer and market leader of the corporate financial reporting industry.

Cons

There are no cons to working at Rivet Software. The future of the company is extremely bright and it's an absolute privileged to be a part of this organization.

Management is full of talented leaders that are moving this company in the right direction. The next few years as an employee at Rivet Software will be very exciting and we're looking forward to it.

Not a good place to work

Former Employee - One of the Rats In A Maze  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - One of the Rats In A Maze in Denver, CO

I worked at Rivet Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Not a single one - unless you consider being underpaid, over-worked, but you get a free lunch sometimes as a pro

Cons

Long hours, no overtime and the position shouldn't be classified as exempt. Poor communication and supervision from upper management. Micro managers or no management both are the worst. One person is overworked and the next is surfing the internet or reading a book - on company time.

Listen when you are told how lousy your manager is

Absolutely miserable after the first week.

Former Employee - XBRL Technologist  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - XBRL Technologist in Denver, CO

I worked at Rivet Software full-time for less than a year

Pros

The only reason to take this job is if you want to learn the type of company to avoid.

Cons

Company has a 'plantation' mentality in that they believe that they own you. They very quickly transition you from a contract worker to salaried employee in order to get around paying overtime. Mandatory 12 hour, 7 days a week shifts during filing seasons, which typically last three weeks each calendar quarter. Actual shifts can run as long as 34 hours. Little respect for individuals or the need for a life outside of work. They say that the people at Rivet work hard, but also play hard. Total BS. They work you like a slave and the only play is when they organize one of their lame morale building activities where attendance is mandatory and everyone is expected to have fun or else. If you have a family you can forget about seeing much of them while you work for this company. The CEO I worked under was a sleazy liar who probably sold used cars at one point in his career. If one of his exhausted workers made a mistake (usually after working 30 hours or more straight through) he would make all the XBRL Techs stand at their work stations while he went on a psychotic rant about how worthless we all were. It's a wonder he didn't get his skull caved in with a tire iron out in the parking garage. Of course he always left for home long before any of us finished our shifts.

Sell the operation while you still can and get on with your retirement.

The company had some rough times, but hopefully the worst is behind

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Rivet Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent compensation, relaxed, flexible environment (except busy seasons), good people.

Cons

Depends on the department - in some long hours are expected

Unless you are a programmers you are seem to be less important.

I worked at Rivet Software

Pros

Most of the people were great to work with.

Cons

Lack of direction, upper management want to go in to many directions, was unwilling to see a project through if it was not an immediate success.

Worked for Rivet Software? Contribute to the Community!