Riviera Holdings

Robert A. Vannucci
1 Rating

Riviera Hotel and Casino

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Smaller strip property - you will get to know departments better

Cons

Not a family environment anymore

Get to know your employees and their value other than cost of salary

I would not recommend

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

The only pro that I can actually think of is now I know what I don't want in a job!

Cons

Hourly employees are held accountable where anyone in management is NOT, the come and go as they please yet we are on leashes!

Management needs to practice their circle of server and treat employees that keep them in their jobs with respect, they are not very nice to you if you don't hold a title! The CEO should also be more respectful to the front line workers, I don't think he went to any of the classes!

The Riviera is the laughing stock of the low-class Strip hotels.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

There is one "perk" to the Riviera, and that is the ability to call in for personal days without hardly any questions.

Right or wrong reasons, the ability to have personal days almost at will is a huge benefit that makes majority of the downside to the Riv, standable.

I'm not going to knock the Riviera for laying off people. In this economy, people are not visiting Vegas like before and profits are down. People have to go. It's unfortunate, but a fact. My major beef with management is not about laying people off. What is my major beef?

Cons

The pay is laughable, the benefits are mediocre at best, the management is atrocious, and the work environment is a cesspool of failure and hate. The place is still riddled with asbestos, which is probably the only reason we haven't been imploded yet.

Well Senior Management, as in the face of the entire legacy that is the once wonderful Riviera, is as corrupt as a used car lot. After holding meeting after meeting about how the economy is just too bad for any employee to ever receive any raise, ever again, they went ahead and gave the Financial Officer a $150,000 /yr pay raise. What was their justification?
    "Well we're about to go through a bankruptcy, and we can't risk our CFO walking out during a bankruptcy!" Shouldn't going through a bankruptcy be a good enough reason to get rid of a CFO?

The Riviera has laid off 60% of its work force due to profit loss, and the executives are still eligible for bonuses?

Our marketing department, (collective salaries roughly $350,000 a year- VERY CONSERVATIVE guess) refuses to advertise for ANY show. When was the last time you saw a billboard for the Riviera? Heard a commercial? Saw a TV ad? Have you ever flown into Mcarren Airport and noticed that the place is LOADED with advertisements for other hotel casinos?
    Even when the MGM has a performer that is only there for a week, they still load Mcarren up with no less than 30 new banners and billboards. Every noticed a Riviera sign? We both know the answer to that. Dice Clay is currently sold out. Know why? He does his own advertising.

There are still banners up in the elevators for shows that have not been at the Riviera in 8 months. The elevator in the parking lot, the very first thing our customers see when they leave their car, is broke down 60% of the time, has graffiti in it, the lights are broken, it rattles and shakes and stinks.

When it rains, the roof leaks right down onto the slot machines and table games. There's no less than 100 buckets placed throughout the entire property when it rains. Now, I understand, it takes boat loads of money to fix a roof of a hotel casino. I think everyone understands that. I know the executives also understood it when they made the decision to greenlight a multi million dollar room upgrade.

Flat panel TVs, down comforters, new paint, carpet and mattresses. The rooms are NICE. Well majority of them. We couldn't quite finish the upgrade. Not enough funds, you see? Why would we upgrade our rooms before fixing our roof that's been leaky for 25 years? Because "we're interested in getting a higher premium for our rooms. That's where the money is at. We can charge $110/night like the bigger casinos!"

Now, I'm no economics or financial major, but I'm pretty sure the money is not in the rooms. The money is in the machines that are specifically DESIGNED to take ones money. Instead of our brilliant marketing department saying "Hey, we're the only big name hotel, where you can still stay ON THE STRIP for under $60 a night, we should use that!" they said "We need to get more money per room, so lets spend EVERYTHING on upgrading the rooms!" Guess what? We still don't get $110 a night. We're about 75% vacant at the moment as well.

Instead of our brilliant marketing department saying "Hey, there's HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of retired people living in Las Vegas, who might remember the Riviera in its glory days. Back in the 50s and 60s. Maybe we should target the locals and be the oldest and ONLY big name casino on the strip that caters to locals." they said "Hey, lets do a mail campaign to Canada! They're economy isn't in the crapper like ours!"

They also said "Lets book the DefCon convention where over 7000 hackers, a good amount who are not old enough to drink OR GAMBLE come and destroy our property!" Majority of the DefCon people: "We wouldn't stay at the Riv for that money. We stay at BLANK where its nice. If the Riv was cheaper, we'd stay here for sure!" I'm not really paraphrasing here, either. Yes the Riv does sell out the week of DefCon, but again, we're selling out a good amount to kids that can't drink or gamble.

The main point is that The Riviera, once a sparkling oasis which paved the way for the famous Las Vegas Strip that you know today, is now a mockery of its former self. All thanks to the severely narrow views of Senior Management and the completely asinine trust in our marketing department that markets less than the guy selling roses on the corner. At least that guy is smart enough to target an audience. At least that guy has an identity. The Riviera? We're one of the oldest casinos around. We've hosted names that will transcend generations long after they've gone. We're capable of being one of the fairest prices available on the strip. We've been featured in movie after movie (3000 Miles to Graceland, 21, The Hangover, and the list goes ON AND ON) and we do NOTHING with it.

"Advice to Management"? There is no management to speak of at the Riviera. The word "management" insinuates there's a group of people "managing" the well-being of The Riviera, as a parent would manage a child. There is only a group of corrupt, self involved, vainglorious rats on a sinking ship who are trying to collect every last single possible morsel before abandoning the very downfall they themselves managed to engineer. They smile at the shareholders and call in sick on the days when people will be laid-off. They force us to eat the throw aways of the buffet and forbid us to get food from the customer side, when the CEO steps right over the rope when he sees an inch thick crust on the chicken noodle soup, or the the chicken so red and rare, it looks like its filled with strawberries.

Perhaps a purging of of the Executives, and the Marketing department is in order?

The marketing director has a shield of over paid, under performing employees, all with the title of "Director of BLANK" that serve no purpose other than a sacrificial lamb for the Marketing Director to cast her blame and point a bony finger at.

I'm not saying they're overpaid because they're all making triple what majority of us make, which they are. I'd be calling them overpaid, even if they made $12 an hour, because I've never seen a bigger group of people get paid, not just to do absolutely nothing, but to actually actively make decisions that deteriorate and corrode the Riviera as effectively as dismantling it brick by brick.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Hidden Gem Once Upon A Time

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Family atmosphere and flexible schedules.

Cons

Senior Management lacks innovation, and credibility with employees. Poor Marketing Strategies. Salaries are far below average for the industry.

Inspire hope. Empower your business.

What are "THEY" thinking??! It's a shame that this will be written off as a rant from a disgruntled laid-off employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Name recognition of the property, but it ain't what is used to be.. striving hard to reach mediocre. Was a great place to work, I used to be proud to work there.

Cons

There is no respect for long time employees, their experience, time with the company , intelligence or attendance. Forget the fact that you worked you butt of for them for yrs and are committed to them, they will chew you up and lay you off without blinking an eye! Incompetent Management at a corporate level. No real sense of direction or IDENTITY! Loyalty sold out for financial gain. The arrogance and complacency levels of upper management are quite hard to fathom, especially in this economic environment. These actions have been going on for a while without any sign of letting up.No pay raises for yrs, pretty much dead end for anyone except the executives, who are draining it dry. there really is not a good reason to work here unless there is absolutely no other alternative!

Fire yourself, if you cant do that at least , Hire innovative and talented Marketing people! People who know how to make money in the gaming industry without just spending money! You yourself and all of the Executives WILL survive this economy, many of your employees (the few that are left) will not! Find ways to "value your employees". take care of your customers AND your employees. Saving a dollar isn't worth it if you lose customers because of it. Your front-line employees are your most valuable resource and you have forgotten that!

casino host pay

Current Employee - Middle Management  in  Black Hawk, CO
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Black Hawk, CO

Pros

they pay good compared to the other Casinos

Cons

they lay off alot and rehire back the same position

Listen to the people that work with the public

Worked for Riviera Holdings? Contribute to the Community!