Riviera Partners

Updated Jun 5, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael A. Morell

Self-starters: This is your place.

Pros* plenty of flexibility
    * support from management to try new things and suggest ideas
    * if you're a top performer, you make great
    * fun culture
    * specialized recruiting, and our clients know we have the best candididates

Cons* growing pains- management is still working to catch up with growth and establish policies and organizational alignment
    * if you are not a solid performer, it's hard to make ends meet in San Francisco
    * while flexible, as an agency recruiter, you'll spend a lot of time outside of the standard work day working

Descent Experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- The amount of intelligent people with impressive networks to channel with and learn from.
    - Awesome environment/culture.

Cons- Sometimes just thrown in to do a task with no proper guidance.
    - Have to be the right sort of person/character to fit in.

Advice to Senior Management- Mentorship would be nice to ease a transition and welcome newcomers to the workplace.

A company that treats you like family, sees your potential and pushes you to grow.

Operations Team (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI have never worked for a company where there has been so much collaboration and team camaraderie. Riviera is morphing & changing quickly and they are not afraid of taking risks....especially when it comes to their employees wanting to try something new for the benefit of the company. They truly try to listen to the employees wants/needs in an effort to provide a great work environment. It's definitely a work hard/play hard atmosphere where the hard work does not go unnoticed.

ConsChange - it's constant here...you can't get comfortable because things are always evolving. If you don't like change, Riviera is probably not the right company for you. There isn't a lot of infrastructure or resources - you have to want to figure things out sometimes or be pro-active and ask for help. No one is here to hand hold you.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great environment that rewards employees based on hard work.

Administrative Team (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- Hands on and down to earth founder's that practice what they preach and lead by example.
    - Great environment to grow and thrive in, there is potential to go up the ladder, or grow within the role, all you have to do is ask and perform!
    - The team ( management team ) is solid, very impressed with the COO, he has taken the company to a new level, and has changed many things for the better ( structure, policies and accountability )
    - I feel recognized and valued, have a very good, fair and consistent supervisor that is very respectful and gives me consistent recognition and feedback, this is what makes me stay, a job is a job to me, but the company and the way I am treated is what makes me stay longer in a firm and feel more loyal.
    - Excellent perks and benefits, Riviera does the small things that go a long way.

ConsSome team member's expect to be hand held a lot and feel entitled to get increases based on seniority, so not the way with Riviera. It's truly a company that rewards and recognizes hard work, dedication and employee's that add value.

Not what I was hoping for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat culture, friendly environment. many young employees. Growing company

Consit's a very "party-like" environment off the clock.
    Wasn't challenged enough
    Performed a lot of brain-numbing work

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to trust your employees to take on more responsibilities

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Nice guys, fun culture but still same grind it out search business

(Former Employee)

Pros+ Ali is one of the nicest and hardest working guys in the industry
    + Fun culture. Lots of schwag, company trips, bar
    + Trying to change the recruiting game through technology

Cons- Over promise and under deliver in terms of the role, compensation, everything
    - Partners are "every man for himself" mentality
    - Retained or contingent it's basically all commission and not very competitive with the search market in pay
    - A very salesy culture. Feels like you're selling cars - very transactional
    - Despite what they claim about the technology it's typical recruiting - find people in a database and LinkedIn, hammer out calls and close deals. They will one day get the technology piece there but it's not ready yet.

- Fine if you're younger but not a sophisticated, consultative search firm. Just grind and make money.
    - You'll work 24/7 - most of the partners do so you'll be expected to as well

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the comp structure - you can't bring in the best talent on a commission only model where the house keeps most of the money. Might have worked to get you to where you're at but will be tough to scale

Work hard, play hard

ProsCool team and awesome Founders

ConsLike most recruiting firms you are always working. This is not an industry that you will come in at 8am and leave at 5pm. Be prepared to work long hours, weekends and most holiday's. The team is great but in true nature it is every man for themselves. Money, money, money is the name of the game at Riviera Partners.

Advice to Senior ManagementA higher base compensation. Either hire people with technical recruiting backgrounds or have a better training programs for those that do not come out of the industry.

Went in with high hopes but...

(Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Prosstart-up culture, great location, large office, get to work with interesting tech companies, co-workers are fun and competitive, data team really try to make recruiters jobs easier, CEO and Partners are very good recruiters themselves

Consmanagement does not share anything with you, below average commission structure, base salary is very low, out of pocket health benefits cost is high, partners and upper management get most of the money, lots and lots of cold calling, unfair distribution of accounts

Advice to Senior Managementgrowing the company is important but so is scaling, stop adding so many non revenue generating positions.

Top notch recruiting firm

Technical Recruiter (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat team, solid management.
    Good work/life balance.
    Challenging work environment.

ConsGood comp/benefits plan, want to see it get a little better.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the momentum, and keep looking for A players internally!

A great platform for those willing to aim high

Recruiter (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- great brand and respected name in the industry
    - strong culture that encourages self-actuation
    - unlimited financial opportunity for those willing to work hard and capable of delivering
    - plenty of perks, such as free food/social events/President's Club, etc
    - progressive business ideas and investment in technology

Cons- growing fast, so can be hard to keep track of new faces
    - new operational process create sense of moving quickly to a corporate environment

Advice to Senior Management- focus on balancing need to professionalize organization with retaining start-up culture

Worked for Riviera Partners? Contribute to the Community!