Road Runner Sports

Updated February 17, 2015
Updated February 17, 2015
2.4

Michael Gotfredson

Pros
  • Great college job and work environment (in 6 reviews)

• Great Training, Promote from within, great coaching and great people who are passionate about what they do (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management as the source of many of their problems (in 5 reviews)

• The company is privately owned, and will likely never go public (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Road Runner Sports: Different? Not really that different.

Former Employee - Fit Expert (Floor Sales) in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Fit Expert (Floor Sales) in San Diego, CA

I worked at Road Runner Sports full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

High energy work environment. You legitimately get to help people with fitness, running and health problems. Great discounts. Uniform is comfortable. Up to $250 in race re-imbursements.

Cons

Ridiculously corny selling gimmicks and mandatory verbage when working. Corporate has some serious disconnect on how the processes for "Fit Experts" (sales people) should be and the expectations for store projects aren't met with adequate support. Continued trend at lowering sales bonus structure. Sports basement, a competitor of RRS, offers way more than $250 in raceday re-imbursement and they provide healthy snacks for their employees.

Rework the bonus structure. There is direct correlation with the continuing trend of cutting bonus payout percentages and the amount of employees leaving. From what the company was paying 2-3 years ago to now, it is significantly more difficult to justify staying with the company as a fit expert. Fit Experts are the face of the company, the engine, the oil and the gasoline that makes the company move. You wouldn't have as much turnover and have to allocate funds towards new hire training and development if you were able to keep your employees, particularly the employees who do a darn good job creating that "WOW Lasting Impression" that keeps your customers coming back.

Excellence

Current Employee - Retail Fit Expert in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Fit Expert in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at Road Runner Sports part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, positive reinforcement from management, and encouraging ideals to work for.

Cons

VIP membership auto-renewals can be more effectively dealt with in a positive manner.

Keep up the good work!

Not a good long term job

I worked at Road Runner Sports full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Discount
    Some long term friendships can be made
    Flexible schedule

Cons

Same people have been doing the exact same job for 10+ years, so they seem to run the place by default.
    Questionable background cheeks
    Favoritism
    Employees get promoted and no one knows how or why or that there was ever even a position to promote into
    Managers work against each other and only out for themselves.
    "Do as I say" environment don't challenge anything or anyone.
    No one really knows what's going on from day to day.

Hire professional - experienced people into your supervisor jobs, communicate with your employees. Be real with your employees.
    Give annual raises

No room for growth

Current Employee - Sales in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Road Runner Sports

Pros

Relaxed environment. Nice discount on gear.

Cons

No room for growth, no raises, commission and bonus is little.

None. The job is what it is. If you want something better go find it.

Not the best call center

Former Employee - CUSTOMER CARE EXPERT in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - CUSTOMER CARE EXPERT in San Diego, CA

I worked at Road Runner Sports full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cool call center employees, laidback dresscode, nice discounts on clothes and shoes.

Cons

Unrealistic sales goals for customer service employees. Deceptive vip program and marketing techniques that results in lots of irate callers. Bad communication amongst departments.

Listen to feedback to call center employees. They are the heart of that company.

Revolving Door The Size of Texas

Current Employee - Fit Expert in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Fit Expert in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Road Runner Sports part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers who are passionate about fitness and a healthy lifestyle.
    Part time allows for college students to make a quick buck.
    Discount on shoes.

Cons

Where to start?
    I visioned this company as a place for students to utilize their personality and sales skills to make some money while in college, but little did I know that this place has a revolving door the size of Texas. RRS has such a ridiculous high turn over ratings and the rating on Glassdoor is self evident of their company structure.
    Political Leaderships is an absolute problem, where unqualified managers/supervisor are unprofessional and unethical.

Compensations is constantly evolving into an unreachable goal, especially for a business with little new business coming. In order for you to make your commission, you have to hit unequal tier marks and only then will you receive your hard earned cash, which is the commission % is steadily decreasing.

How about lowering the firing rate of this company? We are people too, we applied here for your core values and we want to thrive as much as you do.
    Commission structure is getting worse and worse, which in turn deters the fit experts from pushing products. Make a more viable and attainable goal and everyone wins.

Sales Fit Expert ( San Diego )

I have been working at Road Runner Sports

Pros

Time Flexiblity...to look for another job

Cons

Don't drink the cool aid and don't believe in the hype. This is the worst sales position I ever had. Leave your mind at the door, because everything is scripted. The " WoW" from the heart concept is so fake... it's just to make people think like you really care, so they can make more profit, which you won't get. I felt like I was a parrot not a human. The bonuses are awful, they make you jump over hoops just to make an extra penny. Very un-fullfillng . It's true they have a turn over rate that is a revolving door that will make your head spin. I feel sorry for the people that got trapped into there jobs and feel like that can't get a better one. I have news for you, you can and don't limit yourself. They make it seem like this is such a great company to work for, but the owner is so full of it and he has his devotees, watch out for them. The owner is so full of hot air. Bottom line this company is all about profit and not people. Warning: Please don't be fooled...

Please don't take yourself so seriously, you could also be replaced in a heart beat. They are only after saving there jobs.. bottom line

don't

Former Employee - Fit Expert
    Former Employee - Fit Expert

I worked at Road Runner Sports

Pros

Discounts, coworkers, free shoes, bonuses

Cons

training, scripts, forced upselling, upper management

Stop

Absolute garbage company to work for. This company wants you to be a robot with no personality.

Current Employee - Team Lead
    Current Employee - Team Lead

I have been working at Road Runner Sports full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free shoes, IF you attend the clinics.

Cons

Ridiculous "uniform", No expressiveness, Scripted EVERYTHING. You cannot have a disagreement without having a scripted talk with managers. Interviews are scripted as well.

Let each store express the local culture, Let us wear what we sell at least, stop scripting every conversation.

Blah.

Current Employee - Fit Expert
    Current Employee - Fit Expert

I have been working at Road Runner Sports

Pros

Sweet discount .... that's about it.

Cons

Gets old fast. Numbers are always changing. The bonus structure is always changing. Extremely scripted and high five oriented. Cheesiness at its ultimate. Good for short time like a couple months but anything longer and avoid. Never know your hours until right before the week begins.

Work the sales floor, work with your staff. Be open and available to your staff. Stand up for your staff.

Road Runner Sports Photos