Road Runner Sports
www.roadrunnersports.com San Diego, CA 500 to 999 Employees

Road Runner Sports Reviews

Updated Mar 8, 2014
Road Runner Sports – US – “finish line”

Michael Gotfredson

I enjoy my experience at Road Runner Sports due to the great energy and fun staff.

Retail Fit Expert (Current Employee)

I have been working at Road Runner Sports part-time for less than a year

ProsFun atmosphere. Commission based. Friendly employees.

ConsOverstaffed. Constantly on your feet.

Hokey

General Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Road Runner Sports full-time for more than a year

ProsCasual work environment. Flexibility with schedule - a lot of people work from home. Most people there are very friendly.

ConsStarting every other sentence with "You deserve to know" or "Count on me" just to show that you're down with the communications training they shove down your throat gets old quick. The owner needs to get off his high horse. Benefits blow. It's pretty corny - it's almost mandatory to dress up for Halloween, they sing Christmas carols during the holidays and everyone has to act like they're having the most fun. Cheesy.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out what your brand is. Stop putting all the pressure on the people that work under you and giving them more work while you just go from one meeting to the next deciding what else you're going to give them to work on.

Great job to keep a decent check until something better comes along.

I have been working at Road Runner Sports full-time for less than a year

ProsDiscounts on gear, SOME of the contests are actually nice. I would recommend this for someone who is just trying to make ends meet, or kind of a tweener job to hold you over till something better comes along.

ConsHealth insurance package is poor at best. It still does not meet the minimum govt requirements.

However I am willing to bet the salaried employees get better benefits.

Favoritism, false recognitions and "atta boys" for people who don't really do anything, poor health insurance benefits, SOME of the contests are just propaganda they use to make us achieve certain sales goals. They just change the wording on it to make it seem like its only a "contest".

Coworkers will literally give you a full body massage and good conversation about life, work, family, then the next day act like they don't even know you. This goes for MGMT, employees in corporate, the store, and the call center. Maybe everyone's bipolar? I think it's rubbing off on me.

Constant gossip at work about who's sleeping with who, and how drunk they got the night before. It gets annoying hearing these conversations everyday.

We are constantly reminded of profits, and how we are constantly doing better than ever, but seems like nobody gets a raise, bonus is there, but I'm talking a raise!
Instead of giving raises, seems like they create positions, and that's more propaganda, because if you aren't smart you won't realize this.

Advice to Senior ManagementLike other companies in this industry, give your employees a shift differential, keep customer service open after 6 and weekends, stop penalizing your sales people for doing their job and customer service jobs. Have you checked the cost of living here in San Diego? If you are really not going to give annual raises, give your employees a better health insurance package.

Could be better, could be worse

Corporate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Road Runner Sports full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFun company culture, casual work environment, nice people, young company.

ConsLots of micro managing, too much WIIFMizing, low pay, no merit increases despite the company boasting years of high profitability and no debt. Poor benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your people to do the jobs they are hired to do. Pay people what they are worth and reward the people doing the bulk of the work more fairly. Bridge the gap between corporate and retail. Find a better balance between normal speech and Jacob-speak.

Great level of customer service, good technology and great selection for the customers.

I have been working at Road Runner Sports

ProsThe pay is really good, the benefits and bonuses are good and the discount and relations with vendors is good.

ConsOverbearing leadership, from the top down, very micromanaging, no trust from the district manager up, smaller company that is having a hard time with understanding how to grow and still be the type of company they want to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your managers do the job you hired them to do.

Great sales job, with a great high energy staff, in an exciting company.

Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Road Runner Sports part-time for less than a year

ProsRoad Runner Sports offers a nice hourly wage with a great bonus system for sales goals. Partnered shoe companies offer nice sales competitions with the chance to win some great prizes--shoes, clothing, money, gift cards, even high-end electronics. My coworkers are great, high-energy people that foster a lively work environment. Management works well with my scheduling needs.

ConsI don't like working weekends--but that's just retail. Meeting sales requirements can be stressful, so don't apply if you aren't ready to work hard or bring great customer satisfaction skills. Not many full-time positions available, so you may be restricted to part-time work (however management will work to get you hours).

Advice to Senior ManagementMake more full-time positions available. Hire new shift-leads, and managers from within the company; I've witnessed several candidates come through, hired for leadership positions, that didn't seem as deserving as current fit experts.

Great place to work. People were amazing and it is a great atmosphere.

Fit Expert (Former Employee)
Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Road Runner Sports part-time for less than a year

ProsThe people there were awesome. Always had a good time while working and the company really wanted you to succeed. Pay was pretty good for a part-time job - you can make commission and it's $11/hr. If you do well and work 35 hours you can make close to 30k.

ConsBig company so alot of top down management. Most of the time it was ok, but sometimes got to be a grind.

Great benefits and perks, but high stress job

North Brunswick, NJ

I have been working at Road Runner Sports part-time for more than a year

ProsContests, free stuff, good discount

ConsStressful, very sales-oriented, constant changes, poor management, hard to move up in company

Favoritism Reigns Surpreme

Inventory Support Specialist/Fit Expert/Shoe Dog Pro (Former Employee)

I worked at Road Runner Sports full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNice discount. Race reimbursement (if you run). Good pay for retail.

ConsThe whole culture is very 'Parental'. Upward mobility is nonexistent - the only people I ever saw promoted in my time there were to positions that were created just for them & didn't previously exist. Privately owned so very little accountability - incidentally a lot of people end up working there who just don't belong.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people who know what they're doing & reward them.

This company rocks

Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Road Runner Sports part-time for more than a year

ProsThis is the perfect job for a college student. Well paying, flexible, and very fun

ConsNot a lot other than it can be monotonous.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work

Worked for Road Runner Sports? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Road Runner Sports reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Road Runner Sports CEO Michael Gotfredson. All 34 reviews posted anonymously by Road Runner Sports employees.