Road Scholar Reviews

2.6
Jim Moses

1. Call Center

I have been working at Road Scholar

Pros

Great people and environment. Nice office

Cons

Technology needs updating. Very busy, waited too long to hire more people.

2. Pricing Assistant

I worked at Road Scholar part-time

Pros

Friendly Staff Pretty laid back work environment

Cons

Work can get monotonous and boring

3. Their management makes it horrible to work there

Former Employee - Call Center in Lowell, MA
    Former Employee - Call Center in Lowell, MA

I worked at Road Scholar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't think of one. I quit after a few weeks (and without a new job) because I had never been treated as poorly anywhere else as I was there.

Cons

Management plays favorites and they love chat time with them, and at the same time they'll give a new employee a death ray stare if you so much as stop work to scratch an itch. Management loves intimidation.

Advice to Management

My advice is not valid after this many years.

5. Working like we're in 1984

Current Employee - Call Center Advisor in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Call Center Advisor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Road Scholar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great, wonderful co-workers, if you ever have the chance to talk. The office is in a nice location, close to the highway and downtown. Benefits are decent like incentive programs (extremely hard to get though).

Cons

There is little room for growth in the company and they fail to recognize hard working employees, that are overworked. Upper management has a very unrealistic expectations. If you're off by 1-2% you are penalized. Only a very few people make the stats. There is only a five second break between calls, which is not enough time to do anything. You are expected to work like a machine. They assume if you aren't making the exact stats they expect that you are not working hard enough. In fact, the office had posters up saying "Do your job!".

Advice to Management

I would advise that you try to do our job for a week and see if you make the stats, to see just how difficult it is to reach them. Also, take down those ridiculous "Do your job!" signs, you are not Bill Belcheck . It is about time you start doing your job and try to keep the turnover rate down. Here is the first hint in doing so: start by treating us with respect.

6. Company Culture

I have been working at Road Scholar

Pros

Company Culture, benefits, people, mission

Cons

Systems are in dire need of upgrade

7. At the end of the day, it's a call center.

Current Employee - Inbound Advisor in Lowell, MA
    Current Employee - Inbound Advisor in Lowell, MA

I have been working at Road Scholar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company's mission. Participants you speak with (the pleasant ones)

Cons

Monitoring. Strict and unreasonable expectations from upper management. As long as you're doing your job (getting referrals and donations) they're happy but this is much more difficult than it seems. Typical call center environment. Employees aren't very friendly but you don't get an opportunity to really spend time together anyways.

Advice to Management

Focus on creating a better culture. You "pride yourself" on creativity and innovation, however would rather employees keep their mouths shut, heads down and just do their job.

8. Well-managed, focused organization with a great mission and great people.

I have been working at Road Scholar

Pros

Office culture, management style, benefits, location (downtown crossing in Boston), opportunity to travel.

Cons

I'm only putting something here because the form requires it.

There are other call centers out there where there is still respect for employees that go into work and do their best.

Current Employee - Participant Services Advisor in Lowell, MA
    Current Employee - Participant Services Advisor in Lowell, MA

I have been working at Road Scholar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Their medical, dental and vision is competitive as well as affordable, at least for a single person. I have been informed that it is competitive for a family plan as well.

Cons

It takes a year before matching 401 k is applicable. There is excessive favoritism and some of the employees are still in high school mode where they feel the need to divulge their personal lives. The company does not foster innovation or change. The less you say and keep your head down or more drone or cronie like- the better for you.

Advice to Management

A company with excessive favoritism as well as a lack of respect for employees will not prosper. In addition, all of management in the call center office needs to read a book on basic management 101 so that they can master the art of professionalism.

10. Great co-workers and great mission; low end market value compensation

Current Employee - Marketing Department in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing Department in Boston, MA

I have been working at Road Scholar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Road Scholar allows for a great work/life balance. Hours are flexible. Matching 401K plan. Good company culture. Small gym in the building. You can occasionally travel with the company on a program for just the price of the transportation.

Cons

Compensation is on the low end of the market value. Woefully behind on technology across the board. They are working to improve this, but not at a fast pace.

Worst employer ever

I worked at Road Scholar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pros are the retirement fund matching, the mission of the company and some great coworkers.

Cons

Worst pay I have received ever in my life, Ridiculous work load that should be spread between 2 or 3 people, always working at emergency level while management is criticizing you for not doing everything. Moody managers one couldn't trust -- in one conversation they would say to trust them and come to them with any questions, then they'd accuse you of being lazy and incompetent for asking them a question. Communication is horrible at this company. Managers give conflicting directions. Management says they pay people poorly because the company is non-profit. So the taxpayer ends up paying for part of the business because employees have to go on government assistance to survive. Meanwhile, the company is adding more and more trips and bringing in more and more revenue -- making employees work harder and more frantically with no pay increase. Meanwhile management unbelievably lowers the cost of the trips while refusing to pay employees more for tripling, quadrupling the work they have to do. They demand you work overtime while not giving compensation or even appreciation. No matter how good a job a person does the managers treat the employees with disdain, cutting them down in front of colleagues and vendors, minimizing to others the work they do, insulting them, lying to them, threatening and manipulating them. If you try to talk to HR about the mistreatment and toxic environment, unfortunately HR treats you the same way. There is no flexibility for parents. I would get in trouble if I had to stay home with a sick child or if the school nurse called me for an emergency.

Advice to Management

Treat people like they have value. Communicate clearly. Pay people livable wages and fair pay for the work they do.

RSS Feed </> Embed