Road Scholar

Updated Jun 5, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jim Moses

Great coworkers and generally AWESOME customers

ProsThe people you work with and the people you speak to day to day are amazing. It's a really inclusive group of folks.

ConsStaring at a screen all day. Management and supervisors could afford to be better. Technologically behind. Advertised as a customer service job but is really foremost a marketing job, then sales, then CS.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave underlings review supervisors. Some people are very much examples of the Peter Principle.

There are other call centers out there where there is still respect for employees that go into work and do their best.

Participant Services Advisor (Current Employee) Lowell, MA

ProsTheir medical, dental and vision is competitive as well as affordable, at least for a single person. I have been informed that it is competitive for a family plan as well.

ConsIt takes a year before matching 401 k is applicable. There is excessive favoritism and some of the employees are still in high school mode where they feel the need to divulge their personal lives. The company does not foster innovation or change. The less you say and keep your head down or more drone or cronie like- the better for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementA company with excessive favoritism as well as a lack of respect for employees will not prosper. In addition, all of management in the call center office needs to read a book on basic management 101 so that they can master the art of professionalism.

Great co-workers and great mission; low end market value compensation

Marketing Department (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsRoad Scholar allows for a great work/life balance.
    Hours are flexible.
    Matching 401K plan.
    Good company culture.
    Small gym in the building.
    You can occasionally travel with the company on a program for just the price of the transportation.

ConsCompensation is on the low end of the market value.
    Woefully behind on technology across the board. They are working to improve this, but not at a fast pace.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The best internship you can have as marketing analytics

Marketing Associate (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Prosreally interesting customer data analysis

Consemployees won't have lunch together

Advice to Senior ManagementIt will be better if the company culture can be more active.

Worst employer ever

(Former Employee)

ProsPros are the retirement fund matching, the mission of the company and some great coworkers.

ConsWorst pay I have received ever in my life, Ridiculous work load that should be spread between 2 or 3 people, always working at emergency level while management is criticizing you for not doing everything. Moody managers one couldn't trust -- in one conversation they would say to trust them and come to them with any questions, then they'd accuse you of being lazy and incompetent for asking them a question. Communication is horrible at this company. Managers give conflicting directions. Management says they pay people poorly because the company is non-profit. So the taxpayer ends up paying for part of the business because employees have to go on government assistance to survive. Meanwhile, the company is adding more and more trips and bringing in more and more revenue -- making employees work harder and more frantically with no pay increase. Meanwhile management unbelievably lowers the cost of the trips while refusing to pay employees more for tripling, quadrupling the work they have to do. They demand you work overtime while not giving compensation or even appreciation. No matter how good a job a person does the managers treat the employees with disdain, cutting them down in front of colleagues and vendors, minimizing to others the work they do, insulting them, lying to them, threatening and manipulating them. If you try to talk to HR about the mistreatment and toxic environment, unfortunately HR treats you the same way.

There is no flexibility for parents. I would get in trouble if I had to stay home with a sick child or if the school nurse called me for an emergency.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people like they have value. Communicate clearly. Pay people livable wages and fair pay for the work they do.

Overworked but a calm environment

ProsLocation of Office
    Fellow colleagues are pleasant
    Not too stressful

ConsLow Pay
    Awful Intranet System
    At times disorganized

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease salary budgets and work on a new system

Overall a good experience.

Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGood for entry level positions and for parents, as they allow for a flexible schedule.

ConsThe pay is not great.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of the little people who are doing all the work.

The company needs new leadership before it goes away.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood employees and good trips. Clients make the company.

ConsEmployees are overworked and underpaid with no direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Leadership needs to be changed. They are incompetent.

I found Elderhostel a place to work with great company values, and the ability to make a big impact if you wanted to

Intern - Program Assistant (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsI worked as an Intern at Elderhostel Adventures Afloat on and off part time and summers while studying at BC. I found the company a great place to work, the people were very friendly, the culture very flat, etc. As an intern I was able to get the opportunity not only to learn all the basic office skils everyone needs to learn, but was given real responsibility. I dealt with clients, I dealt with subcontractors, I even helped price some of the "Adventures" by doing some analytical work for and discussing the results with my boss who made the commercial decisions.

ConsSome of the work is process-y in nature, however you will get this type of work with any internship. You need to make sure to take the opportunity to ask questions and learn from those who can teach you more about the business. Elderhostel is a very friendly flat company where people are very open to this.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to continue to stretch interns by giving them the chance to take on responsibility and help take part or observe some of the key decisions that are being made higher up. Elderhostel is a great company with many exciting things going on and a fantastic place to start your career, but those who are very keen to understand the business/ commercial side will get bored if they do not have visibility to this side of things.

Intern

Intern (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsWork life balance was good
    Co-workers very friendly
    Could listen to music at work
    Easy going staff

company seems to do decently as a non-profit. the mission is respectable

ConsStuffing envelopes gets old pretty quickly
    old database software
    not much professional growth

there is a lot of work to be done, so it's understandable that an intern would be doing this kind of work

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue hiring good people. You have a dedicated core of employees that are good at what they do.

Worked for Road Scholar? Contribute to the Community!