Road Scholar Reviews

Updated June 5, 2014
Updated June 5, 2014

2.6

Jim Moses

Great coworkers and generally AWESOME customers

I have been working at Road Scholar full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people you work with and the people you speak to day to day are amazing. It's a really inclusive group of folks.

Cons

Staring at a screen all day. Management and supervisors could afford to be better. Technologically behind. Advertised as a customer service job but is really foremost a marketing job, then sales, then CS.

Have underlings review supervisors. Some people are very much examples of the Peter Principle.

There are other call centers out there where there is still respect for employees that go into work and do their best.

Current Employee - Participant Services Advisor  in  Lowell, MA
    Current Employee - Participant Services Advisor in Lowell, MA

I have been working at Road Scholar full-time for more than a year

Pros

Their medical, dental and vision is competitive as well as affordable, at least for a single person. I have been informed that it is competitive for a family plan as well.

Cons

It takes a year before matching 401 k is applicable. There is excessive favoritism and some of the employees are still in high school mode where they feel the need to divulge their personal lives. The company does not foster innovation or change. The less you say and keep your head down or more drone or cronie like- the better for you.

A company with excessive favoritism as well as a lack of respect for employees will not prosper. In addition, all of management in the call center office needs to read a book on basic management 101 so that they can master the art of professionalism.

The best internship you can have as marketing analytics

Current Employee - Marketing Associate  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Road Scholar as an intern for less than a year

Pros

really interesting customer data analysis

Cons

employees won't have lunch together

It will be better if the company culture can be more active.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great co-workers and great mission; low end market value compensation

Current Employee - Marketing Department  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing Department in Boston, MA

I have been working at Road Scholar full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Road Scholar allows for a great work/life balance.
    Hours are flexible.
    Matching 401K plan.
    Good company culture.
    Small gym in the building.
    You can occasionally travel with the company on a program for just the price of the transportation.

Cons

Compensation is on the low end of the market value.
    Woefully behind on technology across the board. They are working to improve this, but not at a fast pace.

Worst employer ever

I worked at Road Scholar full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pros are the retirement fund matching, the mission of the company and some great coworkers.

Cons

Worst pay I have received ever in my life, Ridiculous work load that should be spread between 2 or 3 people, always working at emergency level while management is criticizing you for not doing everything. Moody managers one couldn't trust -- in one conversation they would say to trust them and come to them with any questions, then they'd accuse you of being lazy and incompetent for asking them a question. Communication is horrible at this company. Managers give conflicting directions. Management says they pay people poorly because the company is non-profit. So the taxpayer ends up paying for part of the business because employees have to go on government assistance to survive. Meanwhile, the company is adding more and more trips and bringing in more and more revenue -- making employees work harder and more frantically with no pay increase. Meanwhile management unbelievably lowers the cost of the trips while refusing to pay employees more for tripling, quadrupling the work they have to do. They demand you work overtime while not giving compensation or even appreciation. No matter how good a job a person does the managers treat the employees with disdain, cutting them down in front of colleagues and vendors, minimizing to others the work they do, insulting them, lying to them, threatening and manipulating them. If you try to talk to HR about the mistreatment and toxic environment, unfortunately HR treats you the same way.

There is no flexibility for parents. I would get in trouble if I had to stay home with a sick child or if the school nurse called me for an emergency.

Treat people like they have value. Communicate clearly. Pay people livable wages and fair pay for the work they do.

Overworked but a calm environment

I have been working at Road Scholar full-time

Pros

Location of Office
    Fellow colleagues are pleasant
    Not too stressful

Cons

Low Pay
    Awful Intranet System
    At times disorganized

Increase salary budgets and work on a new system

Overall a good experience.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Road Scholar full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good for entry level positions and for parents, as they allow for a flexible schedule.

Cons

The pay is not great.

Take care of the little people who are doing all the work.

The company needs new leadership before it goes away.

I worked at Road Scholar full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good employees and good trips. Clients make the company.

Cons

Employees are overworked and underpaid with no direction.

Senior Leadership needs to be changed. They are incompetent.

I found Elderhostel a place to work with great company values, and the ability to make a big impact if you wanted to

Former Employee - Intern - Program Assistant  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Intern - Program Assistant in Boston, MA

I worked at Road Scholar as an intern for more than a year

Pros

I worked as an Intern at Elderhostel Adventures Afloat on and off part time and summers while studying at BC. I found the company a great place to work, the people were very friendly, the culture very flat, etc. As an intern I was able to get the opportunity not only to learn all the basic office skils everyone needs to learn, but was given real responsibility. I dealt with clients, I dealt with subcontractors, I even helped price some of the "Adventures" by doing some analytical work for and discussing the results with my boss who made the commercial decisions.

Cons

Some of the work is process-y in nature, however you will get this type of work with any internship. You need to make sure to take the opportunity to ask questions and learn from those who can teach you more about the business. Elderhostel is a very friendly flat company where people are very open to this.

Make sure to continue to stretch interns by giving them the chance to take on responsibility and help take part or observe some of the key decisions that are being made higher up. Elderhostel is a great company with many exciting things going on and a fantastic place to start your career, but those who are very keen to understand the business/ commercial side will get bored if they do not have visibility to this side of things.

Intern

Current Employee - Intern  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

I have been working at Road Scholar full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work life balance was good
    Co-workers very friendly
    Could listen to music at work
    Easy going staff

company seems to do decently as a non-profit. the mission is respectable

Cons

Stuffing envelopes gets old pretty quickly
    old database software
    not much professional growth

there is a lot of work to be done, so it's understandable that an intern would be doing this kind of work

Continue hiring good people. You have a dedicated core of employees that are good at what they do.

Worked for Road Scholar? Contribute to the Community!