RoadChef Reviews

Updated July 28, 2014
3.1

RoadChef Chief Executive Simon Turl
Simon Turl

Best company I ever worked for

Current Employee - Skills Trainer/Sales Assistant  in  Norton Canes, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Skills Trainer/Sales Assistant in Norton Canes, England (UK)

I have been working at RoadChef full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This company was very open with its dealings when I worked for them. The benefits of staff meal and discounts were very appealing, always saved us money which was a good thing !!

Cons

The only con I have about my employment was my manager had an operations manager who didn't like to spend money on training. I wanted to progress with the company and I will return one day but at the time I felt like a brick wall had been built.

My advice to management would be to harvest talent they have within their business. If someone wants to return they should take that as a compliment and see where skills could fit into the business. I've been trying for some time now to return but not much luck has come my way.

good employer!

Former Employee - Crew Member  in  Tibshelf, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Tibshelf, England (UK)

I worked at RoadChef part-time for more than a year

Pros

flexible around your schedule, a good work life balance and good pay for a sixteen to eighteen year old looking for a part time job during school/college. they offer opportunities to climb the work ladder with them. offer you all the training you need to do the job right.

Cons

hard to get to on a motorway. if you want to improve and climb the ladder you have to ask for how to do it, they dont just show you

none, it was good and worked for me

Supervisor

Former Employee - Costa Supervisor  in  Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Costa Supervisor in Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)

I worked at RoadChef for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work life balance, I was able to study and work full time and they tried to work with me

Cons

travel for some was difficult for people without cars. sometimes team let you down and I ended up working double shifts often, I think management needed to crack down on this

I started as a sales assistant and moved to supervisor so good growth

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

To much stress, Managers and Site Directors aren't friendly, not worth the payment

Former Employee - Barista Maestro  in  Strensham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Barista Maestro in Strensham, England (UK)

I worked at RoadChef full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

For me busy is great, when its busy the time just goes and i wont feel bored

Cons

The cons is the Management of that place is horrible, they make you work like you are a slave, and they stress you alot
    This is one of a few examples what they tell me/us:
    "What am i paying you for?"
    And also, they dont say hello or even say thank you in the end of a shift

another thing
    Ive had a Final written warning for drinking a non payed Single Espresso, every Costa in town they drink a coffee at the start of a shift and why here is so different? we cant even drink a wasted espresso? grind checks, we do as a Costa standard, we need to try the coffee but they dont let us?....

Be polite to people, never say "am paying you to do your job" or what ever
    we know we are getting payed to do our job, but we need to be respected to a hard job we do and a hello would be nice at a start of a shift and bye and thank you at the end of a shift. only that will raise staffs morale
    and please stop being that you (Managers) are innocent... as we staff do the job we are told to do as you request and than in the end you blame us for it when its your fault!!!!

General Review

I have been working at RoadChef

Pros

It's an experience that has multiple opportunities to learn new skills in multiple different brands, which in turn gives you a chance to find out what it's like to work for more than one company without having to find multiple jobs.

Cons

Management are rude, they tend to now show any compassion or respect and whether or not they're wrong, they'll continually make themselves adamant that they are anything other than that, kicking and screaming if necessary.

They'll throw their weight around as much as possible and they'll attempt to intimidate you if you suggest they're anything but right. they'll make your life here hell at best, but you can't leave heaven forbid, you need the money to pay bills.

Respect your staff, don't talk down to them and remember they have social lives. Don't throw you're weight around either, it doesn't make you look big, it makes you look pathetic at best. It shows how immature you are despite your position in the company and it'll gain you no respect from your peers.

Not the most caring company to work for likes to employ young people mostly as they are easier to manipulate.

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say  in  Newport, Newport, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Newport, Newport, Wales (UK)

I have been working at RoadChef full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Staff discount on certain goods much of which is over priced to begin with, company uniform, pension scheme available to staff only who earn £9000+ per year which probably means 95% of staff don't qualify because most are part-time, staff meal allowance which is not as good as it used to be which was part of our wage deal made with the unions years ago.

Cons

Some of the challenges working here are trying to get buy on mainly GMW money and part- time hours which can all but disappear during winter months as all new contracts seem to be based on zero hour contracts unless of course you happen to be a director or may be a line manager.
    Also the company no longer recognises the trade union I wonder why not?

There's words in the English language called prosperity, fair play, respect try exercising these words there's far to big a gap in wages from the people at the top to the people below who have the jobs of selling up KPI's do away with zero contracts they might work for the odd student but lets face there not yet living in the real world, and stop bulling your staff and treat people how you would like to be treated!

Great!

Current Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Sheffield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Sheffield, England (UK)

I have been working at RoadChef full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly colleges and Flexible working hours

Cons

Long Hours and Mediocre Pay

superb

I have been working at RoadChef full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

i like working here wow

Cons

great company good people good team member

see better

Current Employee - Team Member  in  Worcester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Team Member in Worcester, England (UK)

I have been working at RoadChef full-time for less than a year

Pros

good money, good job, good collegues

Cons

bad router, bad manegers... not given oportunit of raise in company

Worked for RoadChef? Contribute to the Community!