Roadrunner Markets Reviews

Reset
2.5
Ryan Broyles

1. Not really that great of a place to work

Pros

Full time hours and then some which is hard to come by

Cons

Never got any of the raises I was promised during any of the interviews I had. I was often scheduled to leave at midnight and then expected to be back in the store at 7 am the next morning so I was expected to work with very little sleep. We were in a location where we had lots of homeless people who would panhandle in the parking lot - we had to deal with the police alot. Also we had alot of customers who would get angry with the ID policy over alcohol so you have to get used to being cussed out alot. In the end, what I was being paid for just wasn't worth it. My store had a high turnover rate among employees.

Advice to Management

Keep employees scheduled on the same shifts consistently - don't make them work second one day and then first the next. I had to work Christmas on less than 3 hours of sleep. Keep the promises you make as far as giving raises to employees.

2. Not Great

I have been working at Roadrunner Markets full-time

Pros

Easy work. A good manager is a lifesaver. The cash registers are easy to get the hang of and the lottery is less complicated than you would think.

Cons

No breaks. They have a loophole in Tennessee by saying the nature of the work allows for sufficient breaks, but it's not really the case. On the off-chance there isn't a customer in the store you're required to perform your other job duties. Minimum wage to start with but you get bumped up to about 7.75 within your first couple of weeks.

Advice to Management

Unionize. Roadrunner happens to be one of those companies that tries to see how many labor laws it can bend before getting squeezed.

Worst run company EVER

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Kingsport, TN
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Kingsport, TN

I worked at Roadrunner Markets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Regulars make your day

Cons

Absolutely the most stressful job. Managers work 7 days a week, sometimes 16 hour days for months on end with no break, pay is atrocious and there is no real training available. This company is so money hungry that they'd rather fire people who want a demotion than work with their employees. I had customers telling me if you become a floating AM, you'll be fired. Overall, overworked and underpaid is the motto here. And forget getting Christmas or any other holiday off.

Advice to Management

Need to revamp your management from the top down. Invest in your employees and they'll invest in you. For God's sakes, give these poor store managers a day off! They work harder than anyone in corporate ever has!

5. No Breaks Allowed. $7.25 per hr to $7.75 per hr day shift

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Roadrunner Markets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Potential growth within the company.

Cons

No breaks were given regardless of the length of a shift. Typical shifts are 7 to 9 hrs standing at the cash register. You were allowed to "run" to the restroom and had to eat standing near the register....absolutely NO breaks....not even 5 minutes. I was told it was not against the law.

Advice to Management

Don't listen to gossip.

6. Loved Working at RR, Overall a Great Work Envoirnment

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Asheville, NC

I worked at Roadrunner Markets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was very surprised at some of the reviews on here, the RR I worked for was great. I suppose it differs for some depending on where your located and how the store manager treats you. Your past employment in comparison would make a difference to. I was fairly happy working here. They started me out a little above minimum wage and were always consistent with reviews and raises. The majority of customers were pleasant, a few of them would get highly upset about the "ID for ALCOHOL" policy but it seemed like RR always had your back. I was satisfied with getting a 40 hour work week as full-time jobs are often hard to come by. I never minded the overtime or the time and a half on holidays. Yes, it was not ideal to have to work Christmas and Thanksgiving but for me personally, I didn't mind. I would agree that there are not many employees to any one store, you are almost always by yourself even on third shift. I never felt overwhelmed or thought the store was busy enough to require somebody at my side. They had a lot of strict policies but I never questioned why or what for, most of them made sense including safe drops and I was actually quite happy about the "ID EVERYONE" policy because it helped protect my job and keep me from selling to minors. Yes it isn't the career of your dreams but for a lower income job, I'd say it was a pretty great place to work.

Cons

Disappointments were far and few. The only thing I would change is to maybe have two people working third shift, mostly for safety concerns but also that way the store is completely spotless and well stocked for the next day. Give your store managers at least one day off per week, it seemed like the store manager at the RR I worked for never had a day off. Instead of hiring new store managers and assistant managers, hire within and give your current employees the chance to grow. Only other downside was the jackets RR provided for wearing while working in the cooler, they aren't warm enough.

Advice to Management

Coffee and Fountain drinks should be free. Your friendly smiling cashiers are the reason you have regulars and the reason customers keep coming back tomorrow, they in the very least deserve some soda when they want or need be. A store discount for all employees would be nice. And a Christmas bonus, even just a $20 fuel card. I never got one even though I worked Christmas day and every other holiday. It just shows that you appreciate them and all their hard work, the effort they put in all year long raising money for your charities, ect..

7. Greedy and unconventionally non understanding.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Erwin, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Erwin, TN

I worked at Roadrunner Markets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My manager was the best part, he was always lenient with time off scheduling, and the customers are very nice most of the time as well. Most vendors were very friendly and would stop and have conversations with you after putting up stock, the co-workers kept you in good company when you would work with them. You do have a chance for promotions up to store manager and all in all the company promotes growth not only personally but professionally.

Cons

Anything above regular store manager basically leaves you to rot, the same with the poor manager you are left with. Most of them work seven days a week for months at a time and only get an assistant manager for maybe four months and even then that is pushing it. Also the company does not give major holidays off and has no consideration of any workers with families. You are lucky to get a raise but they will not hesitate to transfer you to another store even without your consent, all in all the company as a whole is fairly greedy and does not care one bit about anything other than its money intake.

8. Worked 7 days a week for a long time.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Kingsport, TN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Kingsport, TN

I worked at Roadrunner Markets full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the employees there are very friendly to other employees. They help out the Managers sometimes when needed but expect alot of out them in return.

Cons

Worked many 7 days a week and sometimes up to 15 hours in a single day. Luckily being only in a 18 hour store so I didn't have to worry about working a triple when no one would come into work.

Advice to Management

Don't expect so much from the store managers. I have had to work for weeks at a time without a day off. A human body can only endure it for so long before it becomes a physical challenge just getting up and going into work.

challenging

Former Employee - Management in Johnson City, TN
    Former Employee - Management in Johnson City, TN

I worked at Roadrunner Markets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Satisfying customers is the best reason to work at the store

Cons

No support from upper management and poor management skills,

Advice to Management

District managers should do drop in safe counts at least once a week

10. Better then fast food

Current Employee - Cashier in Johnson City, TN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Johnson City, TN

I have been working at Roadrunner Markets full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Annual pay raise and if your lucky a full 40 hr work week. This company use to be better but are slowly becoming more money hungry.

Cons

Always by yourself And expected to clean and stock store top to bottom every shift even if your by yourself.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better and offer bonuses and rewards that would actually motivate someone that means don't ask me to bother every customer over something so I might get a $10 gift card

11. Led me on.

Former Employee - Cashier in Johnson City, TN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Johnson City, TN

I worked at Roadrunner Markets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This job provided full time work in an economy where most employers are only offering part time. I became friends with quite a few of the regulars, and most of the customers weren't too hard to deal with. I've worked at a few different gas stations, and being a clerk puts you in a great environment that can allow you network and interact with customers that could turn into potential employers. I had quite a few job offers from managers of other businesses who witnessed and valued my politeness and hard work, and in turn were willing to pay me more to come work for them instead. They also donate to lots of charities in the tri cities just for the sake of the community. Lots of donations are done anonymously.

Cons

Pay was terrible. Its enough to survive on, but survive is all you can do with it. Sometimes I felt like they would have paid me less than they did if it wasn't illegal. Frequently understaffed. It's a common theme in convenience stores, but RR is so much so that it sometimes appeared as if they were doing it on purpose. Some stores would only be allowed less than 200 hours of labor, and had only 4 or 5 employees to run a 24 hour store.This means that most employees work alone during their entire shift. Even if you're the hardest worker there ever was, one person can only handle so many things at once. If stuff starts hitting the fan, you have to take care of it alone. Getting sick could potentially cost you your job, because there is no room for sick days. Calling in would typically mean the person who you were supposed to be relieving has to work a 16 hour shift rather than an 8 hour shift. They are open 24/7/365, so most employees should expect to give up either Christmas or Thanksgiving. I was hired with the assumption that I was being offered an Assitant Manager position, and was told that I would undergo a month or so of training and then become the new AM. After every month or so, our DM would talk with me to make sure I was still on board with the idea, and let me know they were just trying to work some things out on their end first and they hadn't forgotten about me. Meanwhile, our store manager was working for months on end without a day off because there was no one available to take over her responsibilities for even a day. After about 6 or 7 months of toying with me, they gave the job to an outside hire and never brought it up to me again. When I asked why, I was given the run around and people started playing the blame game over who ultimately made the decision. I was never given any indecation that my performance had been anything less than what they had expected from me.

Advice to Management

You're one of the most profitible businesses in the southeast, and you're headquatered in Johnson City. Stop pretending like you can't afford to treat your employees fairly. Pay them a fair wage and hire enough employees to get the job done right. At the very least, close earlier on Thanksgiving and Christmas, because your money is not more important than your employees time with their families. Without your employees, your business is doomed.

RSS Feed </> Embed