Roadrunner Markets

Add Photos

Ryan Broyles

Loved Working at RR, Overall a Great Work Envoirnment

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Asheville, NC

ProsI was very surprised at some of the reviews on here, the RR I worked for was great. I suppose it differs for some depending on where your located and how the store manager treats you. Your past employment in comparison would make a difference to. I was fairly happy working here. They started me out a little above minimum wage and were always consistent with reviews and raises. The majority of customers were pleasant, a few of them would get highly upset about the "ID for ALCOHOL" policy but it seemed like RR always had your back. I was satisfied with getting a 40 hour work week as full-time jobs are often hard to come by. I never minded the overtime or the time and a half on holidays. Yes, it was not ideal to have to work Christmas and Thanksgiving but for me personally, I didn't mind. I would agree that there are not many employees to any one store, you are almost always by yourself even on third shift. I never felt overwhelmed or thought the store was busy enough to require somebody at my side. They had a lot of strict policies but I never questioned why or what for, most of them made sense including safe drops and I was actually quite happy about the "ID EVERYONE" policy because it helped protect my job and keep me from selling to minors. Yes it isn't the career of your dreams but for a lower income job, I'd say it was a pretty great place to work.

ConsDisappointments were far and few. The only thing I would change is to maybe have two people working third shift, mostly for safety concerns but also that way the store is completely spotless and well stocked for the next day. Give your store managers at least one day off per week, it seemed like the store manager at the RR I worked for never had a day off. Instead of hiring new store managers and assistant managers, hire within and give your current employees the chance to grow. Only other downside was the jackets RR provided for wearing while working in the cooler, they aren't warm enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementCoffee and Fountain drinks should be free. Your friendly smiling cashiers are the reason you have regulars and the reason customers keep coming back tomorrow, they in the very least deserve some soda when they want or need be. A store discount for all employees would be nice. And a Christmas bonus, even just a $20 fuel card. I never got one even though I worked Christmas day and every other holiday. It just shows that you appreciate them and all their hard work, the effort they put in all year long raising money for your charities, ect..

Greedy and unconventionally non understanding.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Erwin, TN

ProsMy manager was the best part, he was always lenient with time off scheduling, and the customers are very nice most of the time as well. Most vendors were very friendly and would stop and have conversations with you after putting up stock, the co-workers kept you in good company when you would work with them. You do have a chance for promotions up to store manager and all in all the company promotes growth not only personally but professionally.

ConsAnything above regular store manager basically leaves you to rot, the same with the poor manager you are left with. Most of them work seven days a week for months at a time and only get an assistant manager for maybe four months and even then that is pushing it. Also the company does not give major holidays off and has no consideration of any workers with families. You are lucky to get a raise but they will not hesitate to transfer you to another store even without your consent, all in all the company as a whole is fairly greedy and does not care one bit about anything other than its money intake.

challenging

Management (Former Employee) Johnson City, TN

ProsSatisfying customers is the best reason to work at the store

ConsNo support from upper management and poor management skills,

Advice to Senior ManagementDistrict managers should do drop in safe counts at least once a week

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Better then fast food

Cashier (Current Employee) Johnson City, TN

ProsAnnual pay raise and if your lucky a full 40 hr work week. This company use to be better but are slowly becoming more money hungry.

ConsAlways by yourself And expected to clean and stock store top to bottom every shift even if your by yourself.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees better and offer bonuses and rewards that would actually motivate someone that means don't ask me to bother every customer over something so I might get a $10 gift card

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Led me on.

Cashier (Former Employee) Johnson City, TN

ProsThis job provided full time work in an economy where most employers are only offering part time. I became friends with quite a few of the regulars, and most of the customers weren't too hard to deal with. I've worked at a few different gas stations, and being a clerk puts you in a great environment that can allow you network and interact with customers that could turn into potential employers. I had quite a few job offers from managers of other businesses who witnessed and valued my politeness and hard work, and in turn were willing to pay me more to come work for them instead.

They also donate to lots of charities in the tri cities just for the sake of the community. Lots of donations are done anonymously.

ConsPay was terrible. Its enough to survive on, but survive is all you can do with it. Sometimes I felt like they would have paid me less than they did if it wasn't illegal.

Frequently understaffed. It's a common theme in convenience stores, but RR is so much so that it sometimes appeared as if they were doing it on purpose. Some stores would only be allowed less than 200 hours of labor, and had only 4 or 5 employees to run a 24 hour store.This means that most employees work alone during their entire shift. Even if you're the hardest worker there ever was, one person can only handle so many things at once. If stuff starts hitting the fan, you have to take care of it alone.

Getting sick could potentially cost you your job, because there is no room for sick days. Calling in would typically mean the person who you were supposed to be relieving has to work a 16 hour shift rather than an 8 hour shift. They are open 24/7/365, so most employees should expect to give up either Christmas or Thanksgiving.

I was hired with the assumption that I was being offered an Assitant Manager position, and was told that I would undergo a month or so of training and then become the new AM. After every month or so, our DM would talk with me to make sure I was still on board with the idea, and let me know they were just trying to work some things out on their end first and they hadn't forgotten about me. Meanwhile, our store manager was working for months on end without a day off because there was no one available to take over her responsibilities for even a day. After about 6 or 7 months of toying with me, they gave the job to an outside hire and never brought it up to me again. When I asked why, I was given the run around and people started playing the blame game over who ultimately made the decision. I was never given any indecation that my performance had been anything less than what they had expected from me.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're one of the most profitible businesses in the southeast, and you're headquatered in Johnson City. Stop pretending like you can't afford to treat your employees fairly. Pay them a fair wage and hire enough employees to get the job done right. At the very least, close earlier on Thanksgiving and Christmas, because your money is not more important than your employees time with their families. Without your employees, your business is doomed.

Nightmare to work for , BOTTOM FEEDERS!!!!!!!!!!

Store Manager (Former Employee) Asheville, NC

ProsCan't think of any at this time

Consmanagers work months on end without any time off, 12, 16 ,even 24 hours a day straight. Any inventory shortages are blamed on employees ,doesn't matter if things don't scan right, you and all employees are stealing. They are too money hungry to ever close, They buy stores in bad neighborhoods such as the one on merrimon ave in Asheville and refuse to let you have any help to run them. If the owner or his son or president of the company are coming you are suppose to smile and act like everything is wonderful and your store is suppose to be spotless.
      Notice how high the food prices are? They laugh about how they make so much money off off people using ebt. They can't keep help because of all these things. You better believe you will be working all holidays while they are home with their families. They also cut starting pay
    for clerks in 2010 because the economy was bad and they knew people were desperate for work ,but they didn't bother to tell the managers in n.c. They will fire you if you have low sales on your shift. They have lost several unemployment cases and have had to pay. you probably won't post this but it's true. Most stores allow employees to have a cup of coffee or fountain drink but you can't even have a free refill at roadrunner.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow managers to hire enough help to run their stores. Give employees time off to be with their families and pay a decent wage.

Steady employment to get you through.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Johnson City, TN

ProsThere is some room to move up. The network of stores allows for management opportunities. If you show interest, dependability and integrity in your work I believe that you will have opportunities here. Also, the company supports some worthwhile causes in the community. There is an interest in helping others that doesn't need to be there, but is.

ConsPay is near minimum wage. Full-time work will still keep you searching around for extra ways to make cash. I was donating plasma in downtown Johnson City and still barely making bills. Also, tight-knit family-run business. The upper management is all / mostly family so this has its ups and downs.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work in the community. You've been inovative in expanding business and Johnson City has a very nice chain of convenience stores as a result. The Dunkin Donuts was a lovely addition to the community.

Very stressful job, not worth the money, and no support from upper management.

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsCustomers are the best part if you like working with the public. Most of the vendors are helpful and go out of their way to get you what you need.
    Some of the employees are awesome to work with.

ConsNO support from upper management. Managers work 7 days a week for months and months on end. Employees do as they please and the store level manager has little say in termination. Managers can't hire or fire unless you're one of the chosen few.

Advice to Senior ManagementWithout store level managers, you wouldn't have a company. Offer them some support, make sure they don't have to work 7 days a week for months on end. Should have an open door policy with CEO and company owners so they know what's going on in each store and how the DM's are handling issues or not handling issues.

Heartless, Greedy, And Absolutely Horrid Company

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Bristol, VA

ProsCo-Workers are usually pretty good, at least at my store.
    My manager also wasn't terrible, usually good to work with.
    The best part of the job was the regulars who came in. They were always so sweet and caring, would go out of their way to make the day better.

ConsGreedy Company, Endangers Employees, Never Give Raises, Senior Management is allowed to behave however they please including cursing and yelling at employees and nothing is done about it. Also, very poor scheduling. No work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry listening to your employees. They are the ones who are running the store and making the money, so perhaps it would be wise to listen to their concerns and needs.

stressful

Store Manager (Former Employee) Black Mountain, NC

Prosquick advancement, easy job if you like working with the public. You can go from cashier to management in less than 8 months

Conssometimes have to work double shifts. People call out all the time. Dealing with the public can be stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better district managers.

Worked for Roadrunner Markets? Contribute to the Community!