Roadrunner Transportation Systems

Mark A. DiBlasi

fleet driver

Current Employee - Driver in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Driver in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Roadrunner Transportation Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

opportunity to become owner operator, good miles available

Cons

must lease or work for an owner opersator

Dec 4, 2014HR Generalist-Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on working as an Independent Contractor for Roadrunner!

CORPORATE MANAGEMENT GREED AT EXPENSE OF EMOLOYEES

I have been working at Roadrunner Transportation Systems full-time

Pros

Satisfactory but expensive benefit package. Satisfactory workspaces .Most mid level management are caring and responsive, but have no power to make any real changes.

Cons

Very stressful, frustrating environment. Not enough employees to do the job which causes errors and then ...OH... a poor performance review., Low wages, no respect. Department managers told to keep raises at a minimum by nit picking on yearly reviews. Plenty of vice presidents who want to change the way you do your job without them having any knowledge of what you do, or why,or how. Just that you don't do the job like it was done at the company they came from..HR department more concerned about keeping upper management happy than making this company a desireable place to come every day. Open door policy in HR means that they will listen respectfully then tell you there must be something wrong with YOU for the problem that really stems from bully loaded management. Poor communications from upper management to mid management.

Wake up. Stop the bullying and lies. Properly staff all departments and raise the pay levels so you can have dedicated employees who feel appreciated. Letters from the president (I don't even know what the president looks like) should not say "keep on having fun". Only your management team is reaping the benefits of our hard work. NO ONE IS "HAVING FUN" as you so casually write. Don't ask me to bring a 20 dollar gift for charity so I can earn a place in line for a holiday lunch. On my wages I shop the clearance table at Kmat .

I have been working at Roadrunner Transportation Systems

Pros

No weekends ( usually ). The people in the terminals are nice and so most company drivers.

Cons

Leadership doesn't know how to achieve their goals - the old "ready, fire, aim", they change their mind everyday, treat accounts like a revolving door, expect salary employees to work 16 hours a day and refuse to budge on their ideas, refuse to debate or listen if it is shown to be a failure then blame you when it doesn't work. It was a wonderful company as years ago, but has tried to become like other trucking companies- but they failed to realize that is what made them so productive and profitable. They didn't act like other trucking companies.

Stop hiring your frat buddies and leadership from failed LTL companies. If you want to be a major player you have to invest in the tools. You can't just pretend your Jesus and say "we will do this " and expect it to happen. Understand that the business model of RRTS is like no other trucking co and stop trying to change it, unless you want a mirrored image of YRC . Accept the experiment on the LTL side as a complete failure and stop making employees hate their job.

Dec 4, 2014HR Generalist-Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your opinions on the company. We do have an open door policy so I would recommend sharing your suggestions with your director and with the HR department. We are a growing ... More

Growing company which has a lot of opportunity for advancement.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cudahy, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cudahy, WI

I have been working at Roadrunner Transportation Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is growing and adding new positions. They like to promote people from within. It's a fast paced work environment and you will not find down time in any department. People are very friendly and has a good work culture. If you work hard, it will be noticed by the managers and it can lead to career advancement.

Cons

People are very busy with their jobs so there is not much opportunity to get to know people from other departments unless you work directly with them. There is not a cafeteria so the options for food is limited to vending machines or local fast food places.

Great Growing Company

Pros

Growing company with a great deal of opportunity. A great deal of appreciation for professionalism and hard work. Challenging, but a great environment and I work with and report to good, honest people. I'm looking forward to being part of the future success of this company.

Cons

The rapid growth has created some challenges.
    Communication about the company as a whole could improve to encourage everyone to be part of the bigger picture.

Dec 4, 2014HR Generalist-Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the company! We have been experiencing rapid growth so we are looking to improve in all areas of the company including communication so suggestions are welcome!

Brutally frustrating place to work

I have been working at Roadrunner Transportation Systems part-time

Pros

Job security. There's so much work to do and it's so difficult to train new people that they can't afford to get rid any of their current employees

Cons

You must be doing 5 thins at once at all times and there are no breaks besides lunch. You have to constantly be on the phones while juggling the "OS&D list" and emails all at the same time. I don't know how any sane person can do it day after day for an extended period of time. It will wear you down at the end of the day. All the managers care about is how many calls you can take even though you have to keep up with all your other daily tasks. You have to remember lots of information and there is hardley any training. They train you a little bit then just through you out there and complain because you don't know something even though they never showed you how in the firs place. Intensely, brutally, frustrating place to work.

Set up a formal training plan, hire more people, break down work into various departments so people aren't killing themselves with so much work they cant take breaks without falling behind

Dec 4, 2014HR Generalist-Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your opinions. We do value employee feedback and we have an open door policy. I would encourage you to share your thoughts with you manager on the training process and see ... More

Review 1

I have been working at Roadrunner Transportation Systems full-time

Pros

Great opportunity for advancement at corporate

Cons

Lacks formalized training in the corporate office

None

very unorganized company. They do not follow labor laws for california.

I have been working at Roadrunner Transportation Systems part-time

Pros

its a job. most of us have been without work for 1 to3 years

Cons

bad managment low pay make us wait on our own time no pay while they figure out if there is work. we are not allowed to clock in and not allowed to leave. we are often sent to lunch after one hour of work only to be sent home when lunch is over

learn labor laws and how to treat people before you get more lawsuits

Dec 4, 2014HR Generalist-Recruiter

Thank you for letting us know. Please contact the HR department at the corporate office. We want to make sure that all employees are being treated fairly and according to the labor laws. We do ... More

Good company

Current Employee - Team Owner/Operator in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Team Owner/Operator in Seattle, WA

Pros

As far as being an Owner/Operator for this company, it's a great place to work. You definitely have control of what you do and how much money you can make. This is the kind of company most Owner/Operators look for.

Cons

When working for an Owner/Operator for this company and they do not treat you right, don't look for this company to have your back. They stand behind the IC (independent contractor) only!

The IC's driver not only work for them, they work for YOU, too!

Very Dissatisfied with the way management treats their A/E's

Former Employee - Account Executive in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Detroit, MI

I worked at Roadrunner Transportation Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They do pay on time.

Cons

Never feel secure in your position. You are always having to look over your shoulders in fear of losing your job.

No advice because they are the ones doing it.

Roadrunner Transportation Systems Photos