Roadrunner Transportation Systems

Roadrunner Transportation Systems President, CEO, and Director Mark A. DiBlasi
Mark A. DiBlasi

1. transportation assistant

I have been working at Roadrunner Transportation Systems full-time

Pros

People are great to work with

Cons

Pay could be better alot better

Advice to Management

Value your employees

2. Good company to work for

I have been working at Roadrunner Transportation Systems

Pros

One of the fastest growing company in Transportation and Logistics field. Opportunities for growth. Good work-life balance.

Cons

Since it has been acquiring companies in recent years, roadrunner don't have a strong and consistent culture among all the operating companies.

Advice to Management

More communication across the whole company would be great.

Apr 2, 2015HR Generalist-Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback! We are looking for more ways to streamline communication between all the Roadrunner companies and suggestions are welcomed!

3. difficult to sell service when service was terrible

Former Employee - Account Executive in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Nashville, TN

I worked at Roadrunner Transportation Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

salary and benefits were ok

Cons

upper management would not let you do your job

Advice to Management

keep the people that were bringing in the freight and let the people do their job

5. Toxic Company to Work For

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cudahy, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cudahy, WI

I worked at Roadrunner Transportation Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice neighborhood, decent work commute, health insurance is taken out pre-taxed, free parking, unfortunately I really can't come up with many more pros than these.

Cons

Disorganized, unwilling to listen to employee concerns or suggestions, expects you to be available by phone or email 24/7 without compensation, hostile work environment, broken promises, no sick time or personal days, no perks, the list could go on and on.

Advice to Management

Start to listen to your employees, learn how to communicate with different types of personalities at the workplace, at least act like you care, understand your employees have a life outside of the office, recognize and compensate an employee's hard work and job dedication, don't punish them for it.

Apr 2, 2015HR Generalist-Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. Roadrunner offers PTO (Paid Time Off). PTO can be used for vacation, sick or personal time depending on how you would like to use it. We do value feedback from our ... More

Pretty Good, But Low on Vacation & Health Insurance Offered

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cudahy, WI

I have been working at Roadrunner Transportation Systems (more than a year)

Pros

Fairly convenient airport location, opportunities for advancement in growing co., standard benefits plus some nice perks like zoo pass for family or reduced cost Bucks tix or free Summerfest tix. Management seems progressive, overall. Pay is fair, in my case. Good dental and vision.

Cons

Limited to 2 weeks paid time to cover sickness & vacation. Would be nice if had more than a 3% match for 401(k) (matches half of up to 6% contrib). Some growing pains: cubicle farm at corp HQ (but we're told we will start moving jobs out to new location). Always a bit chilly in office, and noisy due to many people on phone, if that bothers you. Paying a LOT for family health plan ($623/mo. in 2015). Not allowed to telecommute even when makes perfect sense.

Advice to Management

Three weeks PTO would be a smart idea as employment situation gets better or you will lose good people, since you are not competitive that way. It's a struggle with that family health insurance premium. Higher match may be needed on 401(k). Need more walls up to separate noisy areas from those who need quiet for work.

Allow people to work from home who can - will save you some future rent money, too.

Apr 2, 2015HR Generalist-Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions!

7. CORPORATE MANAGEMENT GREED AT EXPENSE OF EMOLOYEES

I have been working at Roadrunner Transportation Systems full-time

Pros

Satisfactory but expensive benefit package. Satisfactory workspaces .Most mid level management are caring and responsive, but have no power to make any real changes.

Cons

Very stressful, frustrating environment. Not enough employees to do the job which causes errors and then ...OH... a poor performance review., Low wages, no respect. Department managers told to keep raises at a minimum by nit picking on yearly reviews. Plenty of vice presidents who want to change the way you do your job without them having any knowledge of what you do, or why,or how. Just that you don't do the job like it was done at the company they came from..HR department more concerned about keeping upper management happy than making this company a desireable place to come every day. Open door policy in HR means that they will listen respectfully then tell you there must be something wrong with YOU for the problem that really stems from bully loaded management. Poor communications from upper management to mid management.

Advice to Management

Wake up. Stop the bullying and lies. Properly staff all departments and raise the pay levels so you can have dedicated employees who feel appreciated. Letters from the president (I don't even know what the president looks like) should not say "keep on having fun". Only your management team is reaping the benefits of our hard work. NO ONE IS "HAVING FUN" as you so casually write. Don't ask me to bring a 20 dollar gift for charity so I can earn a place in line for a holiday lunch. On my wages I shop the clearance table at Kmat .

Apr 2, 2015HR Generalist-Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. We do care about employee feedback and we want to hear your opinions. If you have not yet brought your concern to HR yet, please do so. The gift for charity was ... More

I have been working at Roadrunner Transportation Systems

Pros

No weekends ( usually ). The people in the terminals are nice and so most company drivers.

Cons

Leadership doesn't know how to achieve their goals - the old "ready, fire, aim", they change their mind everyday, treat accounts like a revolving door, expect salary employees to work 16 hours a day and refuse to budge on their ideas, refuse to debate or listen if it is shown to be a failure then blame you when it doesn't work. It was a wonderful company as years ago, but has tried to become like other trucking companies- but they failed to realize that is what made them so productive and profitable. They didn't act like other trucking companies.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring your frat buddies and leadership from failed LTL companies. If you want to be a major player you have to invest in the tools. You can't just pretend your Jesus and say "we will do this " and expect it to happen. Understand that the business model of RRTS is like no other trucking co and stop trying to change it, unless you want a mirrored image of YRC . Accept the experiment on the LTL side as a complete failure and stop making employees hate their job.

Dec 4, 2014HR Generalist-Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your opinions on the company. We do have an open door policy so I would recommend sharing your suggestions with your director and with the HR department. We are a growing ... More

9. fleet driver

Current Employee - Driver in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Driver in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Roadrunner Transportation Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

opportunity to become owner operator, good miles available

Cons

must lease or work for an owner opersator

Dec 4, 2014HR Generalist-Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on working as an Independent Contractor for Roadrunner!

Growing company which has a lot of opportunity for advancement.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cudahy, WI

I have been working at Roadrunner Transportation Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company is growing and adding new positions. They like to promote people from within. It's a fast paced work environment and you will not find down time in any department. People are very friendly and has a good work culture. If you work hard, it will be noticed by the managers and it can lead to career advancement.

Cons

People are very busy with their jobs so there is not much opportunity to get to know people from other departments unless you work directly with them. There is not a cafeteria so the options for food is limited to vending machines or local fast food places.

11. Great Growing Company

Pros

Growing company with a great deal of opportunity. A great deal of appreciation for professionalism and hard work. Challenging, but a great environment and I work with and report to good, honest people. I'm looking forward to being part of the future success of this company.

Cons

The rapid growth has created some challenges.
    Communication about the company as a whole could improve to encourage everyone to be part of the bigger picture.

Dec 4, 2014HR Generalist-Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the company! We have been experiencing rapid growth so we are looking to improve in all areas of the company including communication so suggestions are welcome!

Roadrunner Transportation Systems Photos