Roane State Community College

Reset
3.1
CEO

1. Okay place to work for PT, great for FT

Former Contractor - Adjunct, Clerical Assistant, Secretary, Advisor in Harriman, TN

I worked at Roane State Community College as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good atmosphere and excellent education are all found at RSCC. If you're a full-time employee you get great benefits, as you are considered a state employee.

Cons

Too many contract positions that do not lead to full-time. Little to no rewards for dedicated service, hard work, and flexibility.

Advice to Management

Look at what your key goals are - student retention and attainment, and quality education and hire people that will serve you the best. Stop cutting positions and budget, while still making sure that the viewing area has nice flowers. Pay your adjuncts more, as the pay now is ridiculous.

2. Adjunct Instructor

Current Contractor - Adjunct Instructor in Harriman, TN
    Current Contractor - Adjunct Instructor in Harriman, TN

I have been working at Roane State Community College as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoy teaching and assisting students. This might be a good job for people who don't mind working more than one job or those with two-income households who do not need much money and don't require a great deal of job security.

Cons

The worst aspect of my job is the complete lack of stability. I never know how many classes I will get from one semester to the next, so I'm always stressed about money. During semesters when enrollment is down, I'm unable to get enough work to pay all of my bills. It's impossible to create a realistic budget. I don't get paid during the breaks between semesters and then when I return to work my first check is held back for a month. Essentially, there are a couple of times each year when I go two months at a time without a paycheck. Some semesters I end up with so many classes that I am overwhelmed with work and have little time for my family, but I have to take as many classes as I can get because my work hours are unpredictable and very scant at other times. I'm always desperate to make up for the lack of income I suffer when I am underemployed. When I teach full time hours (sometimes even an overload), it is under a "term contract" so my employer does not have to give me any benefits. Regardless of how long you work here, adjuncts are given only the classes that full time faculty would prefer not to teach - usually the ones that require the most prep time and grading and the least skill. You have to be grateful for what you get and there is little room for error because adjuncts are hired on a per-semester basis. Your boss could decide not to offer you another contract for the next semester and he/she is not required to provide you with any notice. Many adjuncts end up staying in this position for several years because they love teaching and hope to eventually gain full time employment. However, in many disciplines, it's very difficult to obtain a full time position because they rarely open up (it's not unusual for only one full time position to open up within a span of several years). Community colleges tend to employ more adjuncts than full time professors because they don't have to pay adjuncts as much or provide them with benefits.When full time positions do become available, they are highly competetive and who you know is often more important than job skills.

3. Lovely place to work, but continue your education!

Pros

There are wonderful people that work at this institution that are devoted to helping students meet and exceed their educational goals. What are some of the things that make Roane Sate a great place to work? Fun environment, access to education, family feeling between colleagues, very rewarding to work with college students, week off at Christmas to create a nice work/life balance. For the most part, staff and managers are very involved and contribute to a team atmosphere that is infused with community, integrity and loyalty.

Cons

Sometimes the requirements of positions keep employees from being able to continue to pursue their own educational goals and there is not much opportunity for promotion if you don't continue to complete higher degree programs. Higher Education across Tennessee is continually being hit with budget cuts or crises... some jobs, particularly support positions, are occasionally in peril.

Advice to Management

Find ways to continue to improve communication. Being a multi-campus site can disrupt that stream of information that is so vital to consistency. Pay attention to threatened positions within the institution and relocate as many displaced workers as possible instead of getting bogged down in long hiring processes that cannot be completed before employees are lost to the unemployment line. The majority of the people I work with have been here for 10+ years and are very devoted to the mission of the college... Recognize them and protect them if possible.

RSS Feed </> Embed