Roanoke City Public Schools

Dr. Rita Bishop

Elementary va. Secondary

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Roanoke City Public Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

*Great staff at elementary schools (I was in most as a Sped teacher)
    *Professional Development is okay
    *Principal support from two of the schools I taught in were fantastic
    *Very forgiving
    *A decent place to work

Cons

*the "downtown" staff have little teaching experience
    *The superintendent is not a good leader
    *the negativity from "downtown" trickles down into the principals, and then through the teachers.... in some schools.
    *Heavy disability load with understaffed Sped department
    *Scared of lawsuits so they implement what isn't always the right decision for the student.
    *Some teachers had worked for ten years without a pay raise

Listen to your teachers.

If I could give no stars I would

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Roanoke City Public Schools full-time

Pros

The days off and pay

Cons

The terrible management and mistreatment of employees. The people that work the hardest are treated the worst. I have seen photos of employees LITERALLY sleeping on the job. Their punishment? A raise.
    If you complain about the mistreatment received from supervisors you run the risk of being fired. One employee was fired 2 days after filing a grievance against a supervisor however only a few days before that the same employee had emails saying what a great job they were doing.
    It's no wonder the schools have lost accreditation under Dr. Bishop, she's so blind to what's really happening with the mistreatment of employees that how could you expect her to see a problem with the students grades. How can the teachers possibly reach their highest potential when there is such poor management from the Administration stifling their efforts?

My advice is to the Board of Education. A lot of firing needs to be done, starting from the very top down.

Work harder not smarter

Current Employee - Teacher in Roanoke, VA

Pros

A lot of wonderful and amazing teachers work in Roanoke City. The students in most schools are wonderful to work with. A few schools do have major behavior issues.

Cons

RCPS likes to have "required meetings" after school. Expect to have a weekly staff meeting that will last 2 hours or more, content meetings that last for 3 hours, and cluster meetings. Meetings are often a huge mess! They are very unorganized and you will often leave with more questions than answers.

Administrators in some schools such as RAMS will not back up teachers. Expect to get very little support and to have administrators that really have no idea what it is like to teach.

You will get students that are extremely below grade level and you will be expected to have them pass SOL test. If your students do not pass SOLs then expect to be asked to not return. You will be told to give up planning time and to stay after school to work with students on SOL skills.

Students and teachers basic rights are often violated but central administration turns a blind eye to the issues in the schools. If you speak out or complain expect to be asked to not return.

I have worked in 2 other school systems and RCPS is by far the worst I have ever worked in.

If I could run RCPS I would start by replacing upper management. RCPS has the potential to be a great school system but is really lacking good leadership. People that truly care about the students and staff needs to be in charge.

Mathematics Teacher

Former Employee - Mathematics Teacher in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Mathematics Teacher in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Roanoke City Public Schools full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Roanoke City is a great school system to start a teaching career. In my first year there, I was a member of a team of teachers who worked together to create lessons and assignments. In my second year, I was exposed to working with a cooperating teacher in Special Education classes.

Cons

Central office staff is not a teacher's best friend. Before I decided to leave, I had a meeting where I was told flat out that if a certain percentage of my students did not pass the end of year test, then it would be "very closely looked at" as to whether I would continue to be employed. All of that after shoving students into classes they are not prepared for.

Support your teachers - they work hard and get little to no credit.

Stressful and demanding

Current Employee - Teacher in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Roanoke City Public Schools (more than 5 years)

Pros

Helping the students to develop learning strategies.

Cons

Favoritism and cliques are not professional

Listen to your Special Educators advice and opinions

Positive experience, great people to work with and a supportive community.

Former Employee - Public Relations Director in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Public Relations Director in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Roanoke City Public Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Diverse schools, community involvement and opportunities to partner with local businesses,churches and non-profit organizations.

Cons

Unfortunately, like school divisions nationwide, Roanoke City Public Schools has had to deal with budget cuts which has made it difficult to provide the necessary resources to meet the many needs of the children in the community.

Continue to put children first, promote arts and culture within the schools and utilize volunteers and mentors to help student's strive in and outside of the classroom.

Teacher

Former Employee - Teacher in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Roanoke City Public Schools full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Creative Staff and supportive administration when I was at Stonewall Jackson Middle in 2008-09

Cons

Spent too much of my teaching job breaking up fights.
    Large classes (30ish).
    Little support from Central Office.
    Though to be fair, Central Office had other issues as the economy sank.

Have the Super visit schools more often. I was pleasantly surprised to get a visit from the Super.