Robert Allen Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.3
Ron Cordover

Many good experiences and some very low.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foxboro, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foxboro, MA

I have been working at Robert Allen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Personal growth is so-so. Work-life is good here, very low turnover rate. Promotions when deserved.

Cons

Office culture is difficult because it is a privately held company. It is hard to know where you stand.

Advice to Management

I see a lot of organizational changes that effect employees like a bomb has been dropped on them. And most of the time Employees that have given their whole career to the company. I get the feeling that the senior management don't care if the employee is left without a job. Nor do they care what time of year it is. And this company hasn't handed a raise out to the low income earners in more than seven years.

2. business is not great, hours are constantly cut

Current Employee - TMS Operator in Gaffney, SC
    Current Employee - TMS Operator in Gaffney, SC

I have been working at Robert Allen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

learning how to package, tag, and load all outgoing mail and items onto pallets and trucks for shipment. learning how to work on an assembly line type job.

Cons

the company cuts hours for different people every week. business is not doing well, and employees have to take a reduction in hours when the company already doesn't allow more than 40 hours a week.

Advice to Management

shouldn't hire more people than needed so that current employees don't have to take a cut in hours when business is down.

Lagging Behind

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Robert Allen full-time

Pros

Had a great run! I'm glad to have worked there when I did. At one time R.A was the leader in the industry.

Cons

After a series of ownership changes and management misfires, the company lost its' edge. I don't believe they will ever recapture marketshare again.

Advice to Management

Your sales reps are your greatest assists. They are the ones in the trenches. Value their opinions. Don't hire high turn-over managers from your competitors. There's a reason they got fired!

5. I enjoyed working for Robert Allen

I worked at Robert Allen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Product and some great people to work with.

Cons

At that time constant changes in management.

Advice to Management

Believe in your good people to perform.

Senior Management Needs Some Revision

Former Employee - Fabric Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Fabric Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Robert Allen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A little paid vacation time and paid holidays. Health Insurance.

Cons

Cruel, small-minded, senior management who do not care one wit about their employees. Constantly felt under the threat of being fired. Enormous pressure with unrealistic expectations.

Advice to Management

Do some house cleaning. Things won't change at the bottom until things change at the top. You have/had loyal, hard-working employees, a great brand and loyal clients but there were many policies and management decisions that were detrimental to providing good customer service.

It was interesting

Former Employee - FO/PS in Foxboro, MA
    Former Employee - FO/PS in Foxboro, MA

Pros

I loved going into work everyday, the diffrent people that I created friendships with and I still keep in touch with some of them, I had a GREAT manager and miss the place dearly just wish they had never let me go. Oh well Im sure they will re sell the company again and there will be more lay offs and new presidents blah blah

Cons

Wish they never laid me off and I wish they would give all the employees in Foxboro a raise because they are the reason why the company is still in buisness, they do more work then selling furniture or fabric. They put in the long hrs and they get nothing in return, think its been at least six yrs since anyone over there has received a raise. The sales people were always number one and thats a shame.

Advice to Management

Treat the office employees with Repsect and let them know that they are appreciated, give more incentives christmas bonus would be nice or a company raise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robert Allen

Former Employee - Independent Sales Representative in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Independent Sales Representative in Richmond, VA

Pros

Great opportunity to be responsible for the growth of a territory

Cons

Commissions are low based on the effort and time put into running your territory

Advice to Management

Change the compensation structure

Positions available on the "Titanic", please see management.

Former Employee - Sales in Laguna Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Laguna Hills, CA

Pros

One of the most compelling reasons to work for Robert Allen is the industry experience. For someone right out of college, it is a valuable spring board into the opportunities of the design industry. It is very definitely a a job for someone with no children as they will demand 100% of your time and energy . You can expect to pay some expenses that you might expect an employer of this caliber to pay but don't be surprised if you are asked to perform a variety of tasks without compensation. Certain expenses which you will be expected to pay are not optional.

Cons

They do not value experience. The company has a well established history of terminating employees with years of seniority. They have no loyalty and think nothing of replacing veterans with people from outside the industry. The company is ego driven and will not entertain new ideas unless it comes from Senior Management. In my experience this company would do well to clean out the managerial rat traps..... They're full!

Advice to Management

Value your employees. Respect the workers on the front line, those who interface with your customer. Listen to constructive criticism and conduct focus groups before you try to re-invent the wheel.

A Schizophrenic Experience TM

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

A wonderful team to work with on the Showroom level. Beautiful fabrics at good prices - but no attitude about exclusiveness and luxury.

Cons

Senior Management doesn't understand the difference between sales and marketing. The pay is horrible and unlivable unless you are married or have rent control. Management has a tendency toward displaying various kinds of personality disorders - employees are often told to just be glad we have jobs.

Advice to Management

Get your mission statement clear, figure out what business you are in, and start listening to and treating your sales and operations staff with respect - they are your best asset.

Disaster Zone

Pros

Past Reputation is still helping some.......

Cons

Management had no idea what they were doing and would not listen to those that did. The knowing all left and the downhill slide started. Doubt if they ever recover.

RSS Feed </> Embed