Robert Gordon University Reviews

Robert Gordon University Principal & Vice-Chancellor Ferdinand von Prondzynski
Ferdinand von Prondzynski

1. Not a good place if you are talented

I have been working at Robert Gordon University

Pros

you will have freedom on what you are going to do

Cons

Limited number of field in computer
    less organise place
    lack of knowledgable staff

2. Learning Centre Ambassador

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Robert Gordon University as a contractor

Pros

As a higher education institute Robert Gordon University is not only a great place to learn but also to work. The relaxed yet hard working atmosphere is part of the reason I have enjoyed working there as well as the extra benefits that they offer as a company. The people are all employed based on their behaviours rather than just qualifications so you will rarely find someone who is inexperienced and has no stories to tell, but instead those whoa re outgoing and passionate in the education and welfare of students. By having the chance to work alongside different departments I have learned new skills and made new friends. I have enjoyed my time as an ambassador and will be sorry to leave.

Cons

Like all organisations there is always room for improvement, although they are supposed to be Scotland's leading modern university the outdated technology can be a downside. Some of the computers for example used older versions of software. More communication between departments could be used in order to gather opinions from those all across the university but apart from that nothing negative comes to mind.

Advice to Management

As I said, more communication between departments could be used and perhaps more funding for some who may seem unimportant but are the clogs that hold the university together, this includes IT.

3. Good but problems

Former Employee - Lecturer
    Former Employee - Lecturer

I worked at Robert Gordon University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good campus, nice teaching and research balance. Offices good, benefits ok

Cons

Pressure too pass poor performing students. Salaries ok but low for Aberdeen

Advice to Management

None

5. Great University. Poor pay

I worked at Robert Gordon University

Pros

Working with the students was a delight.

Cons

Parking is very restricted and I was paid at 18% less than my counterparts at other modern HE institutions.

Advice to Management

Develop career opportunities for professional/support staff

6. I love my job

Current Employee - Senior Lecturer in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Lecturer in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Robert Gordon University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

RGU is a quality organisation that supports both its staff and students. The quality education facilitates students' to progress and make a difference in practice by applying their new knowledge. Many of our postgraduate students end up getting promoted posts during and following their studies.

Cons

The workload at certain times can be excessive, particularly at the beginning and end of semesters. In addition to this some Schools still teach over the summer so do not have additional time to catch up and prepare for the next academic year. I have been fortunate in that I have been supported in my professional development, however the lack of sabbaticals to undertake focussed work is disappointing.

Advice to Management

I think considering closing the University for two weeks over the summer (mirroring the xmas break) may be a useful consideration.

7. Proffesional, equal and friendly place to work

Current Employee - Course Administrator in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Course Administrator in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Robert Gordon University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Maternity leave and salary sacrifice for childcare is great.

Cons

Support staff is not encouraged to study,wehere as academic staffs tuition is happily paid.

Advice to Management

More carrer opportunity is needed

8. Admin staff treated as dispensable

I worked at Robert Gordon University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Academic staff are great to work with, if you have ideas, they are happy to back you. Work pressure is minimal, location is beautiful

Cons

Management looks on admin staff as bums on seats, don't try to encourage performance or advancement. Excellence is not demanded, recognised or encouraged.

Advice to Management

Recognise the potential in your people and allow them to grow, it wil result in better work, retention and morale

9. The culture of the university is first class.

Current Employee - Course Leader/Lecturer in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Course Leader/Lecturer in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Robert Gordon University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The respect that you are given as an employee is very good. There is little interference whilst you carry out your work. There is great flexibility in how you can work, provided the work gets done.

Cons

The work environment needs to be improved for staff. In my section of the school a dozen of us are crammed into a small, former seminar room. There is no privacy to speak to students. The noise in the room is very distracting.

Advice to Management

Think more about the working conditions of staff. We've spent millions on new building and redesign but haven't got it right y a long chalk.

10. The best modern university

Current Employee - Faculty Officer in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Faculty Officer in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Robert Gordon University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good networking oppurtunities and very good work culture.

Cons

Communication gap between different faculties and departments of RGU and a better relationship can be achieved through staff personal development training programs that includes everyone .

Advice to Management

Communication between different departments of RGU would reap rich benefits and a central communication department that touches on sub departments will keep everyone in the loop.

11. Eine Uni, die hält, was sie verspricht!

Former Employee - Leitender Redakteur in Hamburg (Germany)
    Former Employee - Leitender Redakteur in Hamburg (Germany)

I worked at Robert Gordon University

Pros

Internationale Atmosphäre, erstklassige Lehrkräfte, flexible Lehrpläne und -Inhalte. Es lohnt sich für jeden Stipendiaten, diesen Studiengang zu besuchen. Hinzu kommt die wunderbare Stadt und Region.

Cons

Im Vergleich zu Universitäten in Deutschland enden die Seminare sehr frühzeitig, d.h. Sprechstunden und Termine bei Professoren sind sehr begrenzt. Das Lehrmaterial ist teils nicht auf dem neuesten Stand.

Advice to Management

Den Weg, der eingeschlagen wurde, beibehalten – und an moderne Erfordernisse anpassen.

RSS Feed </> Embed