Robert Half Reviews

Updated October 17, 2014
Updated October 17, 2014

Robert Half Chairman and CEO Harold M. Messmer Jr.
Harold M. Messmer Jr.

Pros
  • Flexible work options with good work / life balance (in 20 reviews)

• Great training and tools for success although some training scenarios are unrealistic (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • They micro-manage their employees and do not promote a work life balance (in 52 reviews)

• No work life balance- hours are 8-6, lunch breaks frowned upon (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Extremely Professional, Friendly, and Attentive.

I have been working at Robert Half

Pros

Constantly offered positions when they were available, shared realistic expectations and were open about positions I may or may not be qualified for. Took care to speak with myself and my supervisors to ensure I was comfortable and happy in my position.

Cons

The pay wasn't that wonderful in any of the jobs I took. They take a significant portion of the pay and, after a while, you start to feel like you are working for nothing. I wish they were more open about it though, I could be overestimating, I am just basing it off of what I heard from people around the office with which I was temping. The health insurance was a nice option, however, in practice, it was really awful. I had the highest tier and I would have been better off without it. It covered nothing.

I think, if you are going to offer health insurance to the people you help employ, at least offer decent insurance. I would up feeling like I was being scammed as if it was insurance for a rental car. You shouldn't be making any more money from us and I felt that, given the insurance premiums and the lack of coverage, you might have been.

Nice Classy Assignments

Current Employee - Front Desk Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Front Desk Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Robert Half as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

$11-14 an hour jobs, temp to perm assignments, builds resume, flexible, pays weekly

Cons

Lots of taxes deducted from pay, travel expenses to foreign locations

best decision I ever made

Current Employee - Web Developer in Nash, TN
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Nash, TN

I have been working at Robert Half as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

consistent work. Vetted clients. Wonderful Account Executives. Advantage of working for an agency or clients where you can assess the office and working environment without making a commitment unless you love it.

Cons

no benefits, no paid holidays

Well-structured, organized professional services firm

Current Employee - Recruiting Manager
    Current Employee - Recruiting Manager

I have been working at Robert Half full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Commission structure is transparent and well-communicated to all levels within the company. Better than average earning potential, even within the recruitment industry. A big part of the Robert Half advantage is also brand name, which helps 'open doors' among potential clients.

Cons

Not an ideal environment for 'free spirit' types of workers. Hours and expectations are structured and methodical. This is arguably why they are successful, although perhaps not perfect for 'change the world' types.

Robert Half Response

Oct 7, 2014HR

Thanks for your comments! We really appreciate the feedback and perspective. We strive to be at a place where folks such as you can be proud of where we’re heading.

Vetted and reliable, with some upkeep (working as a temp)

Current Employee - Temporary Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Temporary Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Robert Half full-time (less than an year)

Pros

+ Temporary assignments are quick-hire; get a call then go to work
    + Get to work for different companies, broaden your experience
    + Being a contractor means you have a buffer zone against detrimental or abusive workplaces
    + Stringing along multiple assignments, you eventually become eligible for RH benefits
    + Get paid every week

Cons

- Assignments are fully "at will" and can end at any moment, however etiquette usually prevails
    - Sometimes an assignment ends and there's no more work for a while (to some, this could be a plus as well)
    - Every job is non-permanent until it is permanent, and conversion is rarely quick, if it happens at all
    - Pay rate is almost always lower than what a direct-hire would make, and always hourly
    - No pay for holidays, vacation or simple PTO, only for hours spent on the job
    - Weekly or daily time entry, which can become tedious
    - Always a sense of separation from co-workers, knowing that you're "not really an employee"

Can't really say much, as all of this is "the nature of the beast." It is what it is. While working on-site changes with each assignment, there are some things about the time I spent in the RH offices for onboarding and other admin purposes. There seems to be an awful lot of paper-shuffle involved with vetting/interviewing candidates. They could surely use more online systems and less paper in their processes.

It is as good as any legal support staff temp agency.

Current Employee - Legal Secretary in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Legal Secretary in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Robert Half as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

They are connected to the main legal business and have many long term clients; they work hard for their clients and their staff; they pay a competitive wage.

Cons

They work very fast and may not give you and your resume the attention you deserve; they ask for your resume in Word format (all agencies do this) then revise your resume and stick their logo on it before submitting it to their clients and because they do not proofread them, and sometimes this task is delegated to an overloaded assistant, for those reasons you need to ask to see it, request they send you a copy (it could be filled with errors); secondly, they wait for their clients' approval on your submitted time before making payment to you. If the client is not in a hurry to approve your time you can wait a week to be paid and the assignments are expensive to get to sometime. Also, speaking with them candidly about jobs, and the people on the jobs and what youre going through is a BAD IDEA, because they will not hold it in confidence, help you out at all, and you may not work again for a long time. They encourage opinions, but have no reward for those that give them. Pretty typical--That's all.

Established corporate company but too firm in their ways...

I worked at Robert Half as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Unbelievable amount of training available and everyone is highly encouraged to attend continued education. Many tools are offered to help in your job but in the end, no one communicates face to face, efficiency is diminished by the amount of tools to use…Standard bi-annual reviews to establish goals, targets, etc.

Cons

Office culture is terrible where everyone is busy trying to look busy to justify their position. No one smiles!

Good client position. Got experience and got paid.

Current Employee - Web Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Robert Half as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

They were reasonable about getting time off when I needed it, unpaid. I got paid on time and went out to lunch once with the recruiter.

Cons

If they don't have any client needs, you don't get any work.

Keep in touch with candidates while they are on assignment so that you can keep them working and keep yourselves profitable.

You're just a number

I have been working at Robert Half full-time

Pros

Fast paced environment; decent base salary; good training; decent people exist in the company

Cons

Not focussed on individual needs; not flexible; not a sustainable career; high turnover; too competitive; people treated poorly by management

Make it more about the people rather than the numbers and quotas. Happy employees = profits for you. Disgruntled/unappreciated employees = high turnover and bad reviews.

Micromanagement, just a number

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Robert Half full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent base pay, eligible to bonus relatively quickly.

Cons

Negative work environment, no recognition for successes, only put you down for not hitting your very unrealistic numbers. Expected to make 75+ dials per day PLUS have an unreasonable amount of visits with clients per week... No "ramp up" period, expect you to close deals from day one without time to build relationships. Unprofessional and degrading environment - loud crude music and sexual comments and language constantly.

Treat your staff like people, not numbers. And create a more responsible work environment that makes people want to do well.