Robert Half Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014
Updated August 28, 2014

Robert Half Chairman and CEO Harold M. Messmer Jr.
Harold M. Messmer Jr.

Pros
  • Flexible work options with good work / life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Great training and tools for success although some training scenarios are unrealistic (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • They micro-manage their employees and do not promote a work life balance (in 50 reviews)

• No work life balance- hours are 8-6, lunch breaks frowned upon (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Great opportunities abound if you thrive in fast-paced, ever-evolving environment with frequent long hours

Former Employee - Team Lead  in  Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Robert Half full-time for more than a year

Pros

Large company with plentiful growth opportunities and excellent resources for career development. Fun open work environment with a dynamic and diverse team. Benefits are good.

Cons

Hours can be long and your success is definitely based on hitting numbers, but that's sales, folks!
    Lots of change and high turnover is a given.

Not for the faint of heart

I worked at Robert Half full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You must have high energy and be motivated to work here. If you lack energy and the "do whatever it takes" type of attitude, you will fail miserably. Of course this all depends on each location as work environment differs from one office to the next. You will meet great people here...inexperienced and experienced in the industry. Huge potential to make good $ but it all depends on your sales skills.

Cons

No work life balance. Since I was in the temp division, you were always on call. Can do better on training. Make sure you hit your PDA...if not, they will look at your activity like a hawk.

Relax. Burden is way too high...thats why good people are leaving the organization.

Great Place to start your career

Former Employee - Recruiter
    Former Employee - Recruiter

I worked at Robert Half full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get great experience, SOME LOB's give great training, learned a lot from great people. The work is challenging and responsibilities increase with experience

Cons

I have seen people hired and fired within 60 days, seen people thrown to the wolves without training. In some divisions, you may just be a number. Promotions given on length of time there rather than performance & effort

Make sure every new hire is getting the proper training

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I enjoyed working for them greatly

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Collegeville, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Collegeville, PA

I have been working at Robert Half full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

In the division I was in we had all the benefits that any person could ask for vacation, health and dental insurance, 401k opportunities

Cons

I had no cons working for this company

Good temp work for summers or getting experience

I worked at Robert Half as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

You are able to set your own schedule. Need to not work for 2 months? Just let them know you aren't available then. The pay is pretty competitive and they are fast at finding short term temp jobs for you to fill. They have a lot of clients in a close geographic location which is good for people using public transportation.

Cons

They didn't seem to have very many temp to hire positions and instead seemed to push the one to two week positions. As with any staffing agency, they charge the client more for you than you get paid but that is to be expected since they need to take their fee.

Have more temp to hire positions

Excellent, they are always there for their people.

Former Employee - Data Analyst  in  Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Hartford, CT

I worked at Robert Half full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

They are a great company. They back you all the way and work hard to get you into the best job possible. They really go out of their way to make sure you are prepared.

Cons

I have several skill sets and they do not coordinate well between departments. I have experience as a data analyst, a law office administrator, a writer, and a format editor that requires both writing and programing skills. Knowing what fields provide growth opportunities would be a great help.

Let your clients know the latest trends in employment so they know where their focus should be. Temp workers thrive by being prepared to seize the latest opportunities. Give them the knowledge they need to be prepared.

Account payable

Current Employee - Accounts Payable Clerk  in  Hamilton Sq, NJ
    Current Employee - Accounts Payable Clerk in Hamilton Sq, NJ

I have been working at Robert Half full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great place to get some experience in accounts payable. You are paid on a weekly basis

Cons

Good company to work but there are temp works

Current employee

Not a job for everyone.

Former Employee - Staffing Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Staffing Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Robert Half full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great training and guidance. Good job if your right out of college. Very professional corporate culture. Exciting if you have not worked for a fortune 500 company. Very large company with opportunities to relocate and advance. Company has a great reputation and is well respected.

Cons

Unrealistic performance expectations. High turnover and many threats if you do not perform. The pay is a bit low for the amount of work you do and the company seems a bit cheap in general. They didn't even have food at their company Christmas party?? When you start out, you are on a pay plan where your are not paid commission on any of your sales because it is all supposedly applied toward paying your base salary. Then after roughly a year you have the opportunity to upgrade to an "experienced pay plan" and receive your commissions. This is after the company collected on all of your sales commission for a year while paying you just your base salary. Encouraged by management to not pursue higher education.

If you bring someone on that has all of the desired traits that you are looking for and their billable hours are not where you would like them to be at their review period, consider an alternative approach to swapping them out for a new candidate. You invest so much time and energy in getting them to this point it is counter productive to throw them to the side. Sometimes branch location, business climate and other factors can cause deviations from desired metrics. If the candidate appears to have potential give them some more guidance and time.

High turnover, very stressful, no work/life balance

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Robert Half full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of my previous colleagues, I'm still friends with

Cons

High turnover, my position as an admin assistant was pretty stable but the recruiters were always stressed out because they could be fired at the drop of a dime. This lead the recruiters to take their stress out on the admin assistants. If you needed any time off it was pretty much out of the question. The time that you did take off, you'd get calls all day regardless of how well you prepared the office before you left for your time off.

Scrap every practice you currently have and start from scratch. Employees aren't healthy due to the stress, the turnover doesn't have to be so high and stop calling your employees on their time off.

I would recommend for someone looking to get their foot in the I.T. world

Former Employee - IT Consultant  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - IT Consultant in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Robert Half full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lot's of positions.
    Career growth, as in how to do your job better.

Cons

Does not fight for employees.

Make your contractors feel wanted. When they give you an opportunity to help them grow, either because they want something better or they get a job offer that betters what they have, fight for them. Make them feel like they are part of a team.

Worked for Robert Half? Contribute to the Community!