Robert Half Reviews

Updated October 29, 2014
Updated October 29, 2014

Robert Half Chairman and CEO Harold M. Messmer Jr.
Harold M. Messmer Jr.

Pros
  • Flexible work options with good work / life balance (in 20 reviews)

• Great training and tools for success although some training scenarios are unrealistic (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • They micro-manage their employees and do not promote a work life balance (in 52 reviews)

• No work life balance- hours are 8-6, lunch breaks frowned upon (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

worked as a consultant and full-time employee

I worked at Robert Half as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Gave me options as far as assignments went

Cons

sometimes no work available

Couldn't have asked for a better opportunity!

Former Employee - Recruiter
    Former Employee - Recruiter

I worked at Robert Half as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Working at Robert Half was an amazing experience. I felt like a part of a family and everyone in the work enviroment supported one anothers professional goals! Great compensation.

Cons

Making sure you have your 2 fifteen minute breaks and lunch break.

I do believe in order to retain employment at Robert Half you do need more hands on training with the employees. Computer training is great but there is nothing like hands on training to have a great foundation and understanding of the company and the expectations!

Robert Half International

Former Employee - Human Resources Assistante in La Porte, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resources Assistante in La Porte, TX

I worked at Robert Half as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I am currently looking for a full-time position and the recruiter has contacted me each time a good fit becomes available.

Cons

At this time, I have not experienced anything that has made me not like the company.

If you need a good company to supply your temp or contract workers, Robert Half is a good company to use.

Extremely Professional, Friendly, and Attentive.

I have been working at Robert Half

Pros

Constantly offered positions when they were available, shared realistic expectations and were open about positions I may or may not be qualified for. Took care to speak with myself and my supervisors to ensure I was comfortable and happy in my position.

Cons

The pay wasn't that wonderful in any of the jobs I took. They take a significant portion of the pay and, after a while, you start to feel like you are working for nothing. I wish they were more open about it though, I could be overestimating, I am just basing it off of what I heard from people around the office with which I was temping. The health insurance was a nice option, however, in practice, it was really awful. I had the highest tier and I would have been better off without it. It covered nothing.

I think, if you are going to offer health insurance to the people you help employ, at least offer decent insurance. I would up feeling like I was being scammed as if it was insurance for a rental car. You shouldn't be making any more money from us and I felt that, given the insurance premiums and the lack of coverage, you might have been.

Nice Classy Assignments

Current Employee - Front Desk Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Front Desk Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Robert Half as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

$11-14 an hour jobs, temp to perm assignments, builds resume, flexible, pays weekly

Cons

Lots of taxes deducted from pay, travel expenses to foreign locations

best decision I ever made

Current Employee - Web Developer in Nash, TN
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Nash, TN

I have been working at Robert Half as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

consistent work. Vetted clients. Wonderful Account Executives. Advantage of working for an agency or clients where you can assess the office and working environment without making a commitment unless you love it.

Cons

no benefits, no paid holidays

Well-structured, organized professional services firm

Current Employee - Recruiting Manager
    Current Employee - Recruiting Manager

I have been working at Robert Half full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Commission structure is transparent and well-communicated to all levels within the company. Better than average earning potential, even within the recruitment industry. A big part of the Robert Half advantage is also brand name, which helps 'open doors' among potential clients.

Cons

Not an ideal environment for 'free spirit' types of workers. Hours and expectations are structured and methodical. This is arguably why they are successful, although perhaps not perfect for 'change the world' types.

Robert Half Response

Oct 7, 2014HR

Thanks for your comments! We really appreciate the feedback and perspective. We strive to be at a place where folks such as you can be proud of where we’re heading.

A mixed-bag

Former Employee - Marketing and Communications in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing and Communications in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Robert Half full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working for RH can really be a mixed-bag, and I'll try to get as detailed as I can here. Please note: this review only pertains to actually working at Robert Half corporate. There are A LOT of contractor reviews on this site, and those are a very different experience than working for the company itself.

Anyhow, RH offers a pretty solid work-life balance with options such as telecommuting, working from remote offices, reasonable hours (you'll rarely be pulling 12 hour days) and generous vacation time.

Depending on the department you work in, and the people you work with, you will learn a lot. If you have a good manager (like I did), you'll also feel fairly well supported and be presented with opportunities to enhance your skills and likely grow within the company. However, and this is important to note, that this is largely dependent on who you have as a manger and the department you're in. I'll address this further in the "Cons" section.

Woking in the RH corporate environment can be a fantastic learning experience and great stepping stone to a successful career. Depending on your level in the organization, you'll also have opportunity to make some decisions and push things forward.

Cons

The Cons section is going to be quite a bit longer than the Pro section, but that doesn't necessarily mean they outweigh the positives, just that it's easier to be specific and are things that should be considered if evaluating a corporate position here.

Pay and standard benefits: Robert Half pays well below market average for nonsales positions. This is especially true in the SF Bay Area where they are headquartered, where demand for talent and salaries have skyrocketed. Their health plan is mediocre at best, and continues to get more expensive for employees each year, despite constant quarter-over-quarter increase in earnings.

Technology: If you're someone who has upgraded from IE 6, you will be frustrated by the technology infrastructure at RH. While there certainly are security protocols that must be in place to protect private information, this is too often used as an excuse to shun new developments in technology -- and by new I mean things developed in the last 5-10 years, not a year ago. What this really boils down to is the executive leadership, who I will cover more in-depth next. They simply are not technology people, have not prioritized hiring solid technology people and have not put any type of real value on technology for a very long time, writing nearly every new development off as a fad or distraction. They are not the types that evolve with the times or invest heavily in tech, and the technology infrastructure at RH reflects that. I personally spend at least 15-20 percent of my work time trying to fix technical issues or find workarounds that would allow me to do my job on pace with peers at other organizations.

Executive Management: As I mentioned above, the executive team at RH is pretty old-school, and they run the company accordingly. The CEO is largely just a figurehead at this point and is rarely seen in either of the corporate offices. He doesn't seem to be driving any substantial future evolution of the organization and certainly not any innovation in the industry. He certainly played that role in the company's past, but it would appear those days are well behind him. The "real" leadership for the company is spearheaded by the COO and CFO, both of whom are also very traditional business men. In the past couple of years, the COO seems to have realized the need to embrace technology and the changing business landscape and has pushed forward a number of changes and transformations -- albeit far too slowly to keep up with the actual change of pace in the business world. The CFO is often referred to as some sort of mad financial genius, and it's partially true. If you look at RH's earnings reports over the last many years, you'll always see at least some quarter-over-quarter growth, even during the down times. Add to that the fact that the company has no debt (something they publicly disclose) and it looks amazing. While it is without question the CFOs duty to deliver profit to shareholders, it's important to note that, as mentioned above, pay is subpar, technology is beyond aged and benefits are pretty abysmal - especially when compared to what other Bay Area companies are offering. If RH chose to offer compensation and benefits on par with other Bay Area companies -- that margin would erode substantially.

Diversity: I truly think the PEOPLE at Robert Half care about diversity - and the people in charge of diversity absolutely do the best they can with the resources available and believe passionately in it. However, it is also my belief that much of the senior management actually could care less about it, and in fact may secretly oppose it. Why? When speaking above about the executive team, it's important to note that there is not one single person of color, female or member of the LGBT community (or any other minority group) with a "C" in their title. In fact, the entire executive management team is of the exact same demographic. Further, looking beyond the c-suite, there are very few people of color in senior leadership positions, I know of only one openly LGBT person in a position of organizational leadership and the few women who do have high-level leadership positions also share a very similar demographic.

Politics and micromanagement: Being a fairly traditional company, politics at RH can at times be atrocious. This is true of all departments and especially of inter-departmental interactions. However, depending on the department you work in, they can be unbearable. These politics are often based on ego and can be counterproductive and at times even dishonest. In certain departments these politics also lead to substantial micromanagement. For example, in the marketing department it's very common for team members to get "feedback" from one of the directors on particular way they've written internal emails, different words they should have used and even the order of names listed in the "to" and "cc" fields. There can also a bit of nepotism and favoritism that happens, so it's important to be aware of "who's who" because stepping on the wrong toes does have consequences. Additionally, because of the politics and ego from some departments, things take a very long time to get accomplished, and go through many, many layers of approval. Sometimes these layers can be helpful, however, more often than not they actual reduce the quality of a marketing campaign or end product simply so people in certain positions can feel like they've had their say or put their mark on it in order to get credit.

My main advice to management would be to adapt and realize that the way business worked 20, even 10-years-ago isn't how it works now. Invest heavily in technology and in really great people. Realize which members of the management teams are holding the company back and are looking out for their interests over the company's and get rid of them in favor of more innovative and truly collaborative people. Realize that rank and title are totally irrelevant in how people should be treated.

Evolve and focus on diversity. When the person who runs the company isn't the one driving the change and innovation, it's time to move on. Take a serious look at the executive team and realize that if everyone is the same: same race, same age, same background, same gender, etc... you'll never get a unique perspective or way to look at things. We don't live in a monochrome world -- especially when your job is employment! Having some diversity in the c-suit will really help.

Look around and offer pay and benefits accordingly. We put out salary guides every year, but we don't pay our own people what we tell our clients to pay! You've done a great job with the flexibility, now do the same with perks, base compensation and healthcare. And very importantly - if you are going to offer a "perk" don't do it half way like your attempt at a shuttle. It's better to simply not offer it, than to offer something that makes you look bad compared to other organizations in the Bay Area.

Best training in the business

Former Employee - Senior Staffing Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Staffing Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Robert Half full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great training opportunities, high standards, promote from within culture. Very fast paced, so you have to like that challenge and thrive in a quick environment. If you want to work for an agency, this is the only one worth it. They truly train their staff.

Cons

cut-throat environment, long hours, no work/life balance or respect of personal life. Standards have declined and some new hires who aren't cutting it are protected so that turn over looks lower.

Don't use them to find a real job

Former Employee - Temporary Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Temporary Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Robert Half as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules if working on a document review project. Overall the staff is nice, but nice doesn't get me paid.

Cons

They don't listen to what you want. If you're on a long project they won't look for a full time position for you, no matter how many times you call. Sometimes they take forever to get back to you if you leave them a message. Once they called me for a job, I called back less than 20 seconds later (I'd just missed them) and couldn't get through, so I left a message and sent an email. I didn't hear from them again until the following day when I called back, AGAIN, and then they told me that they'd "handled" it (basically gave the position to someone else). The pay is terrible. They make almost as much as you do, and you're doing all of the work.

Do better.