Robert Half

Robert Half Reviews

Updated November 25, 2014
Updated November 25, 2014
3.1

Robert Half Chairman and CEO Harold M. Messmer Jr.
Harold M. Messmer Jr.

Pros
  • Flexible work options with good work / life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Great training and tools for success although some training scenarios are unrealistic (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • They micro-manage their employees and do not promote a work life balance (in 55 reviews)

• No work life balance- hours are 8-6, lunch breaks frowned upon (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Robert Half full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity for working on interesting projects, great colleagues, strong leadership team, and career advancement. Definitely work with lots of smart, innovative people. Company is very focused on the future.

Cons

You will be most successful if you have good powers of persuasion and can articulate the reasons why you are recommending certain ideas.

Nov 25, 2014HR

Thank you so much for the review. You are correct that clear communication is extremely important. We appreciate the feedback.

Branch Manager

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Robert Half full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great systems and training. RH has great name recognition and reputation in Staffing.

Cons

Keep developing Area and District Managers in creating a positive work environment.

Temping at RHI

Current Employee - Receptionist/Administrative Assistant in Queens Village, NY
    Current Employee - Receptionist/Administrative Assistant in Queens Village, NY

I have been working at Robert Half part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I am only registered to work for them. For the most part, they are quick to respond to your needs for employment. They have an excellent training program that you can learn a lot from. They have an excellent customer service personnel willing to help you at any time.

Cons

I seem to be stuck in the same temporary part-time position for about a year an half. I am looking for permanent employment or temporary that would lead to permanent and they don't seem to really care enough to help me accomplish my goal. The recruiters seem to want to keep at the same part-time position I have now, where I have been for more than a year. Everytime I write to someone regarding this matter, there doesn't seem to be a response.

For the most part your company has gotten me a foot in the door when it comes to employment; but I think the needs of the employee, in this case myself, should be taken more into consideration. I am looking for full-time employment and I have been like these for months. They take too long. Not even a job interview... set aside a response.

Excellent

I have been working at Robert Half

Pros

They work with you to find a position as long as you keep in contact. They will not send you out on assignments which you are way over-qualified for. Plus once you are in the system all of their divisions are able to assist.

Cons

If you do not keep in contact your resume will just stay in their files.

Nov 13, 2014HR

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience working with us!

GREAT place to make a lot of money, IF you are aggressive, talkative, and don't sweat the details

I worked at Robert Half (more than an year)

Pros

great training, mostly good people, great upper management, as long as you can get out of your own way you will be successful

Cons

expected to be at your desk from 8-6, even if you are ahead of goals, not so much a "team" environment - you essentially run your own desk, and you sit near people who may or may not want to collaborate

test people's behaviors before hiring - MUST be high Doer/Dominant, high Talker/Inducement, low Pacer/Submissive, and low Controller/Compliant

My review of working at Robert Half

I worked at Robert Half

Pros

Industry leading training. You cannot underestimate the power of having experience working here.

Cons

In my personal experience, the local management was not the most supportive of my overall career growth and goals.

Nov 14, 2014HR

Thank you for the feedback. We are passionate about providing the best possible training for our teams. Sorry to hear that local management did not help you meet your career expectations.

worked as a consultant and full-time employee

I worked at Robert Half as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Gave me options as far as assignments went

Cons

sometimes no work available

Good company

I have been working at Robert Half

Pros

Genuinely interested in helping clients, do the work, try to get to know their clients.

Cons

Very slow process, sometimes disinterested and at times divert their attention from the people who need them most.

Nov 14, 2014HR

Thank you so much for the thoughtful review. We are working to improve processes and procedures and really do care about providing the best possible services to our clients and candidates.

OK Company

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Robert Half full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Can be flexible with work schedule, nice enough

Cons

No benefits, hardly any time off, no vacation, don't advocate for you

A mixed-bag

Former Employee - Marketing and Communications in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing and Communications in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Robert Half full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working for RH can really be a mixed-bag, and I'll try to get as detailed as I can here. Please note: this review only pertains to actually working at Robert Half corporate. There are A LOT of contractor reviews on this site, and those are a very different experience than working for the company itself.

Anyhow, RH offers a pretty solid work-life balance with options such as telecommuting, working from remote offices, reasonable hours (you'll rarely be pulling 12 hour days) and generous vacation time.

Depending on the department you work in, and the people you work with, you will learn a lot. If you have a good manager (like I did), you'll also feel fairly well supported and be presented with opportunities to enhance your skills and likely grow within the company. However, and this is important to note, that this is largely dependent on who you have as a manger and the department you're in. I'll address this further in the "Cons" section.

Woking in the RH corporate environment can be a fantastic learning experience and great stepping stone to a successful career. Depending on your level in the organization, you'll also have opportunity to make some decisions and push things forward.

Cons

The Cons section is going to be quite a bit longer than the Pro section, but that doesn't necessarily mean they outweigh the positives, just that it's easier to be specific and are things that should be considered if evaluating a corporate position here.

Pay and standard benefits: Robert Half pays well below market average for nonsales positions. This is especially true in the SF Bay Area where they are headquartered, where demand for talent and salaries have skyrocketed. Their health plan is mediocre at best, and continues to get more expensive for employees each year, despite constant quarter-over-quarter increase in earnings.

Technology: If you're someone who has upgraded from IE 6, you will be frustrated by the technology infrastructure at RH. While there certainly are security protocols that must be in place to protect private information, this is too often used as an excuse to shun new developments in technology -- and by new I mean things developed in the last 5-10 years, not a year ago. What this really boils down to is the executive leadership, who I will cover more in-depth next. They simply are not technology people, have not prioritized hiring solid technology people and have not put any type of real value on technology for a very long time, writing nearly every new development off as a fad or distraction. They are not the types that evolve with the times or invest heavily in tech, and the technology infrastructure at RH reflects that. I personally spend at least 15-20 percent of my work time trying to fix technical issues or find workarounds that would allow me to do my job on pace with peers at other organizations.

Executive Management: As I mentioned above, the executive team at RH is pretty old-school, and they run the company accordingly. The CEO is largely just a figurehead at this point and is rarely seen in either of the corporate offices. He doesn't seem to be driving any substantial future evolution of the organization and certainly not any innovation in the industry. He certainly played that role in the company's past, but it would appear those days are well behind him. The "real" leadership for the company is spearheaded by the COO and CFO, both of whom are also very traditional business men. In the past couple of years, the COO seems to have realized the need to embrace technology and the changing business landscape and has pushed forward a number of changes and transformations -- albeit far too slowly to keep up with the actual change of pace in the business world. The CFO is often referred to as some sort of mad financial genius, and it's partially true. If you look at RH's earnings reports over the last many years, you'll always see at least some quarter-over-quarter growth, even during the down times. Add to that the fact that the company has no debt (something they publicly disclose) and it looks amazing. While it is without question the CFOs duty to deliver profit to shareholders, it's important to note that, as mentioned above, pay is subpar, technology is beyond aged and benefits are pretty abysmal - especially when compared to what other Bay Area companies are offering. If RH chose to offer compensation and benefits on par with other Bay Area companies -- that margin would erode substantially.

Diversity: I truly think the PEOPLE at Robert Half care about diversity - and the people in charge of diversity absolutely do the best they can with the resources available and believe passionately in it. However, it is also my belief that much of the senior management actually could care less about it, and in fact may secretly oppose it. Why? When speaking above about the executive team, it's important to note that there is not one single person of color, female or member of the LGBT community (or any other minority group) with a "C" in their title. In fact, the entire executive management team is of the exact same demographic. Further, looking beyond the c-suite, there are very few people of color in senior leadership positions, I know of only one openly LGBT person in a position of organizational leadership and the few women who do have high-level leadership positions also share a very similar demographic.

Politics and micromanagement: Being a fairly traditional company, politics at RH can at times be atrocious. This is true of all departments and especially of inter-departmental interactions. However, depending on the department you work in, they can be unbearable. These politics are often based on ego and can be counterproductive and at times even dishonest. In certain departments these politics also lead to substantial micromanagement. For example, in the marketing department it's very common for team members to get "feedback" from one of the directors on particular way they've written internal emails, different words they should have used and even the order of names listed in the "to" and "cc" fields. There can also a bit of nepotism and favoritism that happens, so it's important to be aware of "who's who" because stepping on the wrong toes does have consequences. Additionally, because of the politics and ego from some departments, things take a very long time to get accomplished, and go through many, many layers of approval. Sometimes these layers can be helpful, however, more often than not they actual reduce the quality of a marketing campaign or end product simply so people in certain positions can feel like they've had their say or put their mark on it in order to get credit.

My main advice to management would be to adapt and realize that the way business worked 20, even 10-years-ago isn't how it works now. Invest heavily in technology and in really great people. Realize which members of the management teams are holding the company back and are looking out for their interests over the company's and get rid of them in favor of more innovative and truly collaborative people. Realize that rank and title are totally irrelevant in how people should be treated.

Evolve and focus on diversity. When the person who runs the company isn't the one driving the change and innovation, it's time to move on. Take a serious look at the executive team and realize that if everyone is the same: same race, same age, same background, same gender, etc... you'll never get a unique perspective or way to look at things. We don't live in a monochrome world -- especially when your job is employment! Having some diversity in the c-suit will really help.

Look around and offer pay and benefits accordingly. We put out salary guides every year, but we don't pay our own people what we tell our clients to pay! You've done a great job with the flexibility, now do the same with perks, base compensation and healthcare. And very importantly - if you are going to offer a "perk" don't do it half way like your attempt at a shuttle. It's better to simply not offer it, than to offer something that makes you look bad compared to other organizations in the Bay Area.