Robert Half Technology

Be The First To
Add Photos

Robert Half Technology Chairman and CEO Harold M. Messmer, Jr

Harold M. Messmer, Jr

Pros:
  • "This is a good place to learn the business and recruiting, and then get out"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Good training and well established brand name"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "The SOP promotes a hostile/stressful work environment that is clearly visible from the high turnover this company experiences"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Recruiters are at each other's throats competing for the same candidates"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great experience and leadership

Senior Technical Recruiter (Former Employee)

I worked at Robert Half Technology full-time for more than a year

ProsManagement and trainers demonstrated very high levels of proficiency in sales and staffing and made it very clear that hard work would pay off, but it would take awhile to build a foundation.

ConsCould be cut-throat, but that was to be expected.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps a mentorship or sponsorship program of some sort so non-management or less junior employees can have the opportunity to grow themselves and help new employees grow. Under supervision of course.

Fun and fast-paced work environment with strong earnings potential

Senior Recruiter (Current Employee)

I have been working at Robert Half Technology full-time for less than a year

ProsFast paced environment. Every day is different. Good base, with lots of bonus potential. This is the type of work in which the harder you work, the more money you can make. My co-workers are great. We work very hard, but we also play hard. This work is very competitive, but if you can make it, it is worth it. I have worked at other staffing firms in the past, and I truly feel now that I am with RHT, I am with the best in the industry. We are extremely competitive in the market, and I am confident in my colleagues and management team that we will always win business with our relationships and strong candidates. This is a great opportunity for someone who is willing to work hard, constantly improve, and push themselves.

ConsAs with any office, there are always politics, but for the most part everything is pretty transparent. You are measured by the numbers and sometimes numbers don't lie.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to invest in developing your employees and rewarding them for their success in order to retain top performers.

Lots of room for growth

Lead Recruiter (Current Employee)

I have been working at Robert Half Technology full-time for more than a year

ProsYour salary is uncapped.
Depending on where you work, you will be learning from the top performers in the company. Can't really beat that.
There is tons of room for upward and lateral mobility. I have been promoted 3 times since I started here 2 years ago. The growth doesn't have to mean management roles if you aren't interested; there are different roles for top performers as well.

ConsIn the beginning, the role requires a significant time contribution, and lots of hard work. This is why most people don't last - they don't want to put the work in.

Company is large, so changes take time.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure your employees know they're appreciated - some of us look for more than a paycheck to feel successful!

Great place to start your career in recruiting / sales

Account Executive (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Robert Half Technology full-time

Pros- Great place to start your career in recruiting / sales. They have a structured activity matrix they hold everyone to. For the most part, if you follow it, you will be successful (depending on who you work for, who your direct boss is, more on this below in the Cons section). But, once you start doing well, you either stay as a lifer, or you move on to a company that pays you more for your talent. You can learn a lot if you are starting out, but my advise is to move on once they have traiined you. Everyone does it and seem to do better elsewhere.
- Most internal leadership has years of experience in the industry
- Large company, big name, clients call in sometimes, companies you call sometimes recognize who you are
- Dispite what some other reviews might say, there are really good people who work there and are really good at what they do, and they have a lot to teach you. I learned a lot from so many people during my time at RHT.
- Dispite their flaws below, they are a good company with good candidates and they find them for their clients quickly.

Cons- It's a call center feel. Short, small cubicles, noisy, gray, old looking.
- A lot of turnover in recruiting and sales (for the whole company, not just Technology)
- You really have to stick around for years to be a top producer, which is tough, because you don't make much beyond your base for the first two years (don't let them tell you it's sooner, it's not). There are really only a couple guys there that make good money in the office.
- Typical big company beaurocracy stuff to deal with, lots of stupid meetings
- Local leadership is hit or miss. I keep in touch with folks there and the stories are sad really, leaders stealing credit from lower ranking folks. All internal BS sounds like.

Advice to Senior Management- Promote leaders who are ethical and are great leaders, not just one or the other.
- Take a serious look at who your Sr managers are, some are really compete idiots who do not represent you well at all. The things they are allowed to say and do on and off the court does not bode well for external brand impressions. Not going to name names, but I think if the Sr mgt had to pick, they would all agree on who I was referring to.

Did not work on my behalf to find a good fit

Temp Work (Former Employee)
Bellevue, WA

I worked at Robert Half Technology as a contractor for more than a year

ProsThey eventually got me into a temp position that I turned into a full-time hire on my own merit.

ConsI first came to Robert Half looking for basic entry-level work in the IT field. I brought about 6 years experience in the corporate and customer help desk field. The recruiter at Robert Half I interviewed with completely disregarded me. After an interview with her, I never heard another word from her. I got numerous data entry jobs from other recruiters at Robert Half, but nothing in the field I was looking for. This was complaint number one.

When I did get a (data entry) job, half the time they would have me agree to one wage, then a few days before the assignment, I would get a call saying the wage was even lower, and get me to agree to that. For one particular job, when I got my first paycheck the wage was even lower than the most recently agreed wage.

I considered these to be very dishonest practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't do the things listed in the cons section.

You drive your career!

Senior Recruiter (Current Employee)

I have been working at Robert Half Technology full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAmazing opportunity for growth. Great training and great people to work with. Opportunity to make a lot of money. Amazing time off. Really great mentors

ConsAs in any publically traded company there are some politics but if you are mature you can deal with them

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by freedom based on sucess.

They take care of me

Senior Desktop Engineer (Current Employee)
Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Robert Half Technology as a contractor for less than a year

ProsIf you are interested in contract work, it's been my experience that the folks at Robert Half Technology take care of me. They listen to my wishes for location and types of work and then they do a good job of finding assignments that fit my skills. The pay is on time and reliable, and their timesheet system is really easy to use. They also have some benefits and also pay a bonus of one week's pay every 1000 hours you bill, so it's almost like 2 weeks vacation pay. They also have online training you can access.

ConsIt is contract work, so there may be a gap between assignments. If you don't work, you don't get paid. There is no vacation pay (aside from the bonus mentioned above). Holidays aren't paid until you've billed 1200 (or so?) hours and then you have to work at least 24 hours the week of the holiday and at least 24 hours the week before.

They really care about their clients.

Data Analyst (Former Employee)
Newark, NJ

I worked at Robert Half Technology full-time for less than a year

ProsThey really do care about their clients They are very quick to respond.

ConsThere are pimps who take less of a cut!

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're going to charge the client $100/hr, please pay the employee a little more than $20/hr. Spread it around a bit... Just a bit.

Good Place to Learn Something New

Field Technician (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

ProsTask always change every projects...

ConsProjects only comes once in a blue moon....

Sweatshop

Senior Recruiter (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Robert Half Technology full-time for more than a year

ProsGood sales training with role plays

ConsLong hours, way too many meetings, the base pay is very low so you have to rely on commission. It is a dog eat dog place. Recruiters are at each other's throats competing for the same candidates.

Advice to Senior ManagementDivide up the requisitions for recruiters so they are not competing against each other.

Worked for Robert Half Technology? Contribute to the Community!

Robert Half Technology Videos

Robert Half Technology – Why Work for Us?

Robert Half Technology offers a full spectrum of technology staffing solutions to meet our customers' project, contract-to-full-time and full-time IT recruitment needs. As a division of Robert Half, we are more than an… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Robert Half Technology reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Robert Half Technology CEO Harold M. Messmer, Jr. All 62 reviews posted anonymously by Robert Half Technology employees.