Robert Half Technology

Updated January 27, 2015
2.7

Robert Half Technology Chairman and CEO Harold M. Messmer, Jr
Harold M. Messmer, Jr

Pros
  • The folks in my particular office were good people, who work their butts off (in 6 reviews)

• Great training and great people to work with (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The reputation is horrible in Nashville because the high turnover in the office and bad previous experiences (in 8 reviews)

• Too many people were quitting or being let go (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

A few pros, a LOT of cons

Former Employee - Account Executive in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Nashville, TN

I worked at Robert Half Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The office is very flexible. If you have a doctors appointment, you can go. On Friday's, everyone can leave early. The job is extremely stressful so they try to plan fun events for the team to do. If you have very thick skin and can actually make the numbers, it is a great place to come for 1+ years, learn the industry, and then move on. Being a recruiter really helps you learn the process and job requirements, but being an account executive will open the doors for many opportunities if clients like you. Be prepared to receive job offers from other companies left and right IF you are good. The vacation is great and benefits aren't too shabby either!

Cons

At the Nashville office, there are a few great leaders, and a few HORRIBLE leaders which means turnover is outrageous. They will openly admit, they aren't sad to see most people go, and think the main reason people leave is that they are lazy, when in reality, if you run the numbers, the compensation plan is terrible and many employees are given very wrong expectations in the interview process of what you should expect to earn. The leadership also promotes a very dog eat dog environment so be prepared to step on a lot of people's toes because you may have 3, 4, 5, 6 people in the office calling the exact same company. The reputation is horrible in Nashville because the high turnover in the office and bad previous experiences. The upper leadership has a knack for hiring talented people, but unfortunately none of them stick around. If you can interview and work under the Regional manager, it is highly recommended. He will be honest, and at the same time make you feel like you can take on the world.

A new branch manager is highly recommended. If double digits employees (many top performers) have left because of a manager, it may be time to look at other alternatives. People don't leave companies, they leave leaders. Although I wasn't lied to about the compensation plan, many others are, and many (including myself) also seem to be given false expectations of income over time. Be honest and truthful. I don't recommend telling every person hired that "if you work hard, you will make over 6 figures" when that isn't the case for 9 out of 10 people who actually make it there over a year.

Revolving Door

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at Robert Half Technology full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great in person training and online school for continued training and resources.

Cons

They fire people just to prove a point at quarterly meetings. You are expendable. I was the 8th person in my seat in a 6 month period. They have you develop new business and then show you the door prior to your probation period being up and force you to sign a non compete agreement before you leave.

Stop your shady business practices.

Recruiting Manager

Former Employee - Recruiting Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Recruiting Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Robert Half Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great training for someone entering the field for the first time.

Cons

They have struggled to retain employees with one of the highest turn over rates in the industry. If you already have experience in the staffing industry then I would look elsewhere.

Relax the culture. Stop making employees feel guilty for leaving before the put in a 10 hour day. Pay competative wages to senior employees.

Just another agency, great if it's your first job, but never leave a company for this place

Former Employee - IT Recruiting Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - IT Recruiting Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Robert Half Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

HUGE name, everyone in the staffing world has heard of Robert Half and it will get your resume noticed. Very high commissions for the industry, though they WILL try to put you on a draw instead of a base.

Cons

Pretty much everything else. Long hours, zero culture (I worked there a year and to the day I left there were people I said hi to daily who never responded), management knows they're a chop shop and threatens you with your job every day. Also, their biggest competition is themselves! I would have people in other Robert Half offices calling in to my accounts! There is ZERO account ownership outside of your specific office so in most major cities that = you competing with OTHER Robert Half employees, in offices that you don't work.

At this point, nothing can be done. They've created a churn and burn machine, and they get 40% of every placement so they don't care of people leave or not. At the end of the day they know they'll always have an employee who will do the work so they don't care about retention. I was at Robert Half for 11 months, I saw someone get fired every single week. Some weeks I saw almost entire teams get fired, 5-7 people in one shot. This place SUCKS. Wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy

fast paced

Former Employee - Division Director
    Former Employee - Division Director

I worked at Robert Half Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

robert half technology and the robert half company as a whole has an excellent commission structure. great benefits. fast paced. never boring, excellent training program.

Cons

environment can be very competitive thus stress is a factor. often have to mend bridges with former robert half clients due to a past negative experience.

Robert Half Technology Response

Nov 26, 2014HR

Thank you for the review. It is true that our company culture is competitive and fast-paced. However, we do value offering clients and candidates outstanding customer service so it is troubling to ... More

Huge upside and opportunities - not for everyone

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Robert Half Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Unlimited earning potential.
    Not many firms will give you a shot without the recruiting experience, they will.
    Many employees can get to $100k personal income in less than 2 years.
    Control your own day, opportunity to get out of the office to meet with clients and candidates.
    Convenient locations, multiple local offices.
    Best tools in the business - access to job boards, large internal databases, etc...

Cons

Stressful.
    Easy entry into the staffing industry generally leads to turnover.
    Realistic, but high target activity numbers.

The most senior and accomplished employees need the least amount of training and the newest need the most. But focusing on the employees that fall into the middle ground is the best way to grow the company.

Great staff

Former Employee - Computer Technician in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Computer Technician in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Robert Half Technology as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Willis called me for several jobs over a nine month period. Great rate! Easy to work with and for. Great assignments with hotel stays out of town.

Cons

Not consistent with assignments. No temp to permanent assignments. No benefits because of inconsistent assignments. Enjoyed working with other candidates. Week away from home.

Unorganized

Former Employee - Variable Data Programmer in Grove City, OH
    Former Employee - Variable Data Programmer in Grove City, OH

I worked at Robert Half Technology as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

They rushed me in to sign papers to get my on my way to my new job.

Cons

They were completely unorganized. Had to go through 4 different leaders before someone was set for the position. Too many people were quitting or being let go.

Just get organized and get great recruiters.

Not supportive of me the contractor

Former Employee - Analyst Contractor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Analyst Contractor in Washington, DC

I worked at Robert Half Technology as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

They appear to have some connections and in theory could place you in a good position that will lead to full time perm. if the stars line up and its a cold day in a very hot place.

Cons

My contract was for 90 days with an option to go 6 months. Two weeks in the company where I was placed, my specific department re-organized and within another 2 weeks, my role was eliminated. Its difficult to believe this was a surprise to every one involved (except me) and I felt it was suspect when I did not receive a contract to sign. I had to beg to my onsite manager (their client) for a week's notice. I learned my Creative Group sales rep actually told my on site manager that there was no obligation to keep me for even a day longer. I have never felt such a lack of support, esp. given I never stop trying to do the best job possible. I actually located another contract position with in the organization and was told my sales rep to work in this position for as long as possible and "don't pester anyone about that other job". In the end I was there for less than one full month.

Based on my experience, your sales reps need to be reminded with our good contractors are your inventory and her job dries up if good inventory fails to exist. I was extremely disappointed and quite shocked in the lack of support from the sales arm of this organization.

A Revolving Door

Former Employee - Recruiter in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in La Jolla, CA

I worked at Robert Half Technology full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They pay a good salary + commission

Cons

Extremely difficult to work for. It is only their way or the highway. A lot of time spent doing unnecessary things instead of recruiting and selling. I spent a lot of time interviewing candidates in person that were not qualified. Someone who was also not qualified set the appointments for me. I was one of the longest employees there and I was only their for 9 months. In that time I would say there was about 75% turnover, totaling at least 15 people.

Spend some time to identify the value of your employees.

Robert Half Technology Photos