Robert Half

Robert Half Reviews in United Kingdom

Updated February 16, 2015
Updated February 16, 2015
3.8

Robert Half Chairman and CEO Harold M. Messmer Jr.
Harold M. Messmer Jr.

Pros
  • Flexible work options with good work / life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Great training and tools for success although some training scenarios are unrealistic (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • They micro-manage their employees and do not promote a work life balance (in 55 reviews)

• No work life balance- hours are 8-6, lunch breaks frowned upon (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

16 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Great opportunities to succeed

I have been working at Robert Half full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Robert Half is a large recruitment consultancy with a global footprint, strong financial results and great opportunities to grow one's career. The company offers a lot of resources that are unavailable at small boutique firms, including excellent learning and development opportunities, strong marketing & PR, community and employee programmes and competitive remuneration as well as a strong international reputation.

Cons

Expectations are high but at the end of the day, this adds to the satisfaction and fulfilment of the job.

Shocking company to work for

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at Robert Half

Pros

They seem quite structured in what they do
    Commission structure was adequate

Cons

Started work at the company for three weeks before the legal team based in London rang my manager to say that they would like to suspend me pending a directorship that i had within a payroll company some several years previous. After three days of suspension they terminated my employment claiming i was no longer suitable for the role. They had two months to check out any relevant information or ask me about my previous involvement at other companies, they could have even asked in my interview and were aware that i had owned businesses in the past. They didn't even reference check until after i had started at the company yet they claim to double reference check all candidates for their clients! Complete mockery.

Before messing with somebodies personal life and offering them the job, do your background checks and and ask the relevant questions in interview

High stepping, aspirational and progressive compnay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Robert Half

Pros

The Leadership team work tirelessly to hire, induct, train and retain the best talent in the market with the priority being to further develop and upskill all employees (both tenured and new). The Management team interfaces well with their people and any problems which arise are addressed professionally and quickly. Targets are clear; strong direction, support and autonomy is given to help everyone achieve those targets. The expectations are high but that is part of the high stepping, competitive environment which makes Robert Half a great place to work. Recognition both locally, from a UK perspective and on a global platform is brilliant. Being a global company opportunities to explore other avenues is openly supported for those who have proven themselves.

Cons

Due to the nature of the recruitment industry typically working hours are quite long but that is rewarded through compensation, bonuses and progressive initiatives are always being looked at.

Not for the tame or lame for that matter....

Current Employee - Recruiter in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruiter in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Robert Half full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Robert Half is a global business and you really can move anywhere in the world with them. Those who perform well will always be rewarded financially and with corporate gifts to one of their many high achievers events. The training is excellent and I genuinely believe that if you are not succesful with RH then give up recruitment and find another job.... This ain't the career for you. It's awesome for the awesome folk!

Cons

Lack of female leadership and a real sense of the boys brigade leading the way.... All management seem to be friends with one another and they speak about their employees behind their backs. A lot of people feel really intimidated by the constant cheap talk and sleezy attitude of some of the men. This seems to be bred into them by Senior management....

Sort out the brothel chat! Make it a professional environment

Great business, well respected, grows talent and supports you in your career development

I have been working at Robert Half full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get invested in by management and senior leadership to keep progressing and pushing your career to the next level
    Fantastic benefits and recognition schemes for all levels
    Progressive culture which brings / should bring the best out of everyone

Cons

Like most recruitment businesses hours and commitment to the job can take over your life but you are compensated for this in many ways as mentioned above.

Great progression & personal development, feel part of a successful environment!

I have been working at Robert Half full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great, organic progression with one business, UK & overseas.
    Business responsive to new ideas when supported with a business plan and building upon core Robert Half principles.
    Vibrant, high energy environment.
    Training and investment throughout your career.

Cons

Long hours when necessary, no different to any other corporate agency.

Abysmal, boring, pointless work with ignorant, small-minded, money grubbing sales typrs

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Robert Half full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There simply aren't any pros. They have absolutely nothing to recommend them as regards a place of work.

Cons

Outrageously dull work. You just call people, ask them if they have any jobs they need people recruited for, and then you call people asking if they want a job. For 11 hellish hours a day... It is beyond terrible.

If you could stop being such aggressively boring people and minimise the rampant bullying culture at the company, that would help.

Good when it's good.

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Robert Half full-time (less than a year)

Pros

A friendly consultative environment, everyone does their best to help you and see you succeed. There's a wealth of Recruitment advice from every manager's years of experience and they are all very approachable from Divisional Managers all the way to the Vice Presidents. Very transparent, you always know where you stand.

Cons

Difficult to achieve KPIs and a best policies practice that makes it hard for a quick turn around. There is a very high standard of performance measured in billings and invoicing that you need to be hitting almost from the first month.

A place to build a fabulous career

I have been working at Robert Half full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There is no recruiting firm in the marketplace I would work for other than Robert Half. While no large company can be perfect, the quality of the character represented in the senior management team, the emphasis on and the resources available from a training standpoint and the power of the brand name are unbeatable. Not to be dramatic, but my heart breaks when I read posts from the disgruntled, bitter handful- when I personally know the outstanding support, care and great times I have had over the years with the company. I'm proud to work for Robert Half.

Cons

Make no mistake, RH is a publically traded firm and they run "a business". Over the years they will adjust things such as the compensation plan or even the number of branch office locations to keep in step with the economic climate as they are savvy, solid business operators tasked with growing revenues. They are a typical corporate environment from that standpoint, and the advantage the recruiting teams have from being part of a big brand name in the marketplace means they have the corporate expectations to go with it. With that, in very rare circumstances have I seen what some people comment about it being a culture of cutthroats or sharks, in fact the compensation model and management team encourages collaboration at all junctures. When I see people claiming otherwise, I simply see people that aren't excited about learning a proven model and doing goal driven business development, and that's ok, sales oriented roles are not for everyone! Clearly in a large organization, I cannot speak for every division in every branch of the entire corporation, and I'm sure there have been some rough patches over the years. With that, get to know your local management team, and make your own decision if interviewing. If the role suits you, and you miss out because of some lopsided posts online, you will be missing out on a fantastic opportunity.

Great training, great people, very corporate and regimented!

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Robert Half full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Training, management, resources, people, progression

Cons

Too restrictive (for me), no room for imagination or entrepreneurial-ism, bonus component too slim