Robert Half Reviews in United Kingdom

Updated September 9, 2014
Updated September 9, 2014

Robert Half Chairman and CEO Harold M. Messmer Jr.
Harold M. Messmer Jr.

Pros
  • Flexible work options with good work / life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Great training and tools for success although some training scenarios are unrealistic (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • They micro-manage their employees and do not promote a work life balance (in 50 reviews)

• No work life balance- hours are 8-6, lunch breaks frowned upon (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good when it's good.

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Robert Half full-time for less than a year

Pros

A friendly consultative environment, everyone does their best to help you and see you succeed. There's a wealth of Recruitment advice from every manager's years of experience and they are all very approachable from Divisional Managers all the way to the Vice Presidents. Very transparent, you always know where you stand.

Cons

Difficult to achieve KPIs and a best policies practice that makes it hard for a quick turn around. There is a very high standard of performance measured in billings and invoicing that you need to be hitting almost from the first month.

A place to build a fabulous career

I have been working at Robert Half full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There is no recruiting firm in the marketplace I would work for other than Robert Half. While no large company can be perfect, the quality of the character represented in the senior management team, the emphasis on and the resources available from a training standpoint and the power of the brand name are unbeatable. Not to be dramatic, but my heart breaks when I read posts from the disgruntled, bitter handful- when I personally know the outstanding support, care and great times I have had over the years with the company. I'm proud to work for Robert Half.

Cons

Make no mistake, RH is a publically traded firm and they run "a business". Over the years they will adjust things such as the compensation plan or even the number of branch office locations to keep in step with the economic climate as they are savvy, solid business operators tasked with growing revenues. They are a typical corporate environment from that standpoint, and the advantage the recruiting teams have from being part of a big brand name in the marketplace means they have the corporate expectations to go with it. With that, in very rare circumstances have I seen what some people comment about it being a culture of cutthroats or sharks, in fact the compensation model and management team encourages collaboration at all junctures. When I see people claiming otherwise, I simply see people that aren't excited about learning a proven model and doing goal driven business development, and that's ok, sales oriented roles are not for everyone! Clearly in a large organization, I cannot speak for every division in every branch of the entire corporation, and I'm sure there have been some rough patches over the years. With that, get to know your local management team, and make your own decision if interviewing. If the role suits you, and you miss out because of some lopsided posts online, you will be missing out on a fantastic opportunity.

Great training, great people, very corporate and regimented!

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Robert Half full-time for more than a year

Pros

Training, management, resources, people, progression

Cons

Too restrictive (for me), no room for imagination or entrepreneurial-ism, bonus component too slim

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A nightmare of an employer

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Milton Keynes, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

I worked at Robert Half full-time for more than a year

Pros

slightly better basic salary than most of their competitors

Cons

too many to mention, KPI's that will make your eyes bleed, everyone hates everyone else. staff hate the managers, managers hate the directors, and everyone hates the MD. The directors want 200 calls a week but all they do is come in at 10.00, log onto their Ipad, online shop, then leave at 5pm. staff turnover is the highest in the industry, no one pass's probation.

Leave.

A good company to work for in the UK but an apathetic and laggard Corporate Environment

Current Employee - Software Engineer III  in  Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Robert Half full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Pay Package (Above market rates, Private Healthcare, Pension),
    Flexitime in most departments
    "Employee/People" centric company culture

Cons

The company is very centralised with all key IT decisions happening in the US where corporate staff resides, and where all key IT projects and innovations emanate from.
    This is to be expected for an international company of this size, who needs to ensure the requirements of the whole organisation are taken into account.
    However, the corporate machine is sluggish and sometimes lethargic, and as a consequence misses innovation opportunities by not encouraging business units to pursue tactical localised innovations.
    Instead, centralised "strategic" innovation seems to be the only acceptable way of innovating.

Make sure innovation is encouraged and engineered wherever business buy-in exists, not where you would 'prefer' it to be designed & architected.

Typical od most sales roles

Former Employee - Consultant  in  City of London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Consultant in City of London, England (UK)

I worked at Robert Half

Pros

Good opportunity to earn a significant commission package.

Cons

Merit is limited to personal sales levels.
    Absence of any kind of intellectual stimulation.
    Aggressive environment, an extremely high employee turnover rate.
    Consultants lack knowledge of the industries they hire for.
    No opportunity to develop expertise, your career will be limited to HR/recruitment.

Follow the advice given in the RHI Management publication- at present it's all stick, no carrot, and every man for himself.

Good starting point but zero work/life balance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Robert Half

Pros

great corporate atmosphere, people passionate about making money, people making serious amounts of money sitting next to you, great starting point into the corporate world

Cons

no work life balance, took 7 days off in over a year, job hours were basically 8am-8pm, had to go in on saturdays etc.

send everyone to shadow an accounts team for a week, that way instead of just saying positions (management/financial accountant etc.) people will actual know what it entails

Good place to work if you want to work hard and be accountable to yourself for your success

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I have been working at Robert Half

Pros

clear bonus scheme, meritocracy, independence to build your own desk

Cons

hard work, long hours, and takes 6-9 months to get good at job to begin to realise financial benefits.

None

Management need to get up to date with modern management techniques

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Robert Half

Pros

Good training if new in industry will give you a good base to go and find a new job in the industry after 6 Months

Cons

Hours, Management Autocratic.
    Should you have experience they try and brain wash you into doing it the Robert Half way?
    Staff who have longer service get away with what ever they want and new staff a treated very badly close to been bullied by senior staff and Management
    management have no vision and are always having to change what they implement as they do not do the research required when making changes (staff involvement Key)

Lighten up your staff make the money for the company you give guidence and support (Adolf Hitler died 60 years ago)

Worked for Robert Half? Contribute to the Community!