Robert Half

www.roberthalf.com

Robert Half Reviews in United Kingdom

Updated Jun 4, 2014

Robert Half Chairman and CEO Harold M. Messmer Jr.

Harold M. Messmer Jr.

Pros
  • Flexible work options with good work / life balance(in 19 reviews)

• Great training and tools for success although some training scenarios are unrealistic(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • They micro-manage their employees and do not promote a work life balance(in 50 reviews)

• No work life balance- hours are 8-6, lunch breaks frowned upon(in 20 reviews)

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A place to build a fabulous career

ProsThere is no recruiting firm in the marketplace I would work for other than Robert Half. While no large company can be perfect, the quality of the character represented in the senior management team, the emphasis on and the resources available from a training standpoint and the power of the brand name are unbeatable. Not to be dramatic, but my heart breaks when I read posts from the disgruntled, bitter handful- when I personally know the outstanding support, care and great times I have had over the years with the company. I'm proud to work for Robert Half.

ConsMake no mistake, RH is a publically traded firm and they run "a business". Over the years they will adjust things such as the compensation plan or even the number of branch office locations to keep in step with the economic climate as they are savvy, solid business operators tasked with growing revenues. They are a typical corporate environment from that standpoint, and the advantage the recruiting teams have from being part of a big brand name in the marketplace means they have the corporate expectations to go with it. With that, in very rare circumstances have I seen what some people comment about it being a culture of cutthroats or sharks, in fact the compensation model and management team encourages collaboration at all junctures. When I see people claiming otherwise, I simply see people that aren't excited about learning a proven model and doing goal driven business development, and that's ok, sales oriented roles are not for everyone! Clearly in a large organization, I cannot speak for every division in every branch of the entire corporation, and I'm sure there have been some rough patches over the years. With that, get to know your local management team, and make your own decision if interviewing. If the role suits you, and you miss out because of some lopsided posts online, you will be missing out on a fantastic opportunity.

Great training, great people, very corporate and regimented!

Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsTraining, management, resources, people, progression

ConsToo restrictive (for me), no room for imagination or entrepreneurial-ism, bonus component too slim

A good company to work for in the UK but an apathetic and laggard Corporate Environment

Software Engineer III (Current Employee) Birmingham, England (UK)

ProsGood Pay Package (Above market rates, Private Healthcare, Pension),
    Flexitime in most departments
    "Employee/People" centric company culture

ConsThe company is very centralised with all key IT decisions happening in the US where corporate staff resides, and where all key IT projects and innovations emanate from.
    This is to be expected for an international company of this size, who needs to ensure the requirements of the whole organisation are taken into account.
    However, the corporate machine is sluggish and sometimes lethargic, and as a consequence misses innovation opportunities by not encouraging business units to pursue tactical localised innovations.
    Instead, centralised "strategic" innovation seems to be the only acceptable way of innovating.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure innovation is encouraged and engineered wherever business buy-in exists, not where you would 'prefer' it to be designed & architected.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A nightmare of an employer

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Prosslightly better basic salary than most of their competitors

Constoo many to mention, KPI's that will make your eyes bleed, everyone hates everyone else. staff hate the managers, managers hate the directors, and everyone hates the MD. The directors want 200 calls a week but all they do is come in at 10.00, log onto their Ipad, online shop, then leave at 5pm. staff turnover is the highest in the industry, no one pass's probation.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave.

Typical od most sales roles

Consultant (Former Employee) City of London, England (UK)

ProsGood opportunity to earn a significant commission package.

ConsMerit is limited to personal sales levels.
    Absence of any kind of intellectual stimulation.
    Aggressive environment, an extremely high employee turnover rate.
    Consultants lack knowledge of the industries they hire for.
    No opportunity to develop expertise, your career will be limited to HR/recruitment.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow the advice given in the RHI Management publication- at present it's all stick, no carrot, and every man for himself.

Good starting point but zero work/life balance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosgreat corporate atmosphere, people passionate about making money, people making serious amounts of money sitting next to you, great starting point into the corporate world

Consno work life balance, took 7 days off in over a year, job hours were basically 8am-8pm, had to go in on saturdays etc.

Advice to Senior Managementsend everyone to shadow an accounts team for a week, that way instead of just saying positions (management/financial accountant etc.) people will actual know what it entails

Good place to work if you want to work hard and be accountable to yourself for your success

Recruitment Consultant (Current Employee)

Prosclear bonus scheme, meritocracy, independence to build your own desk

Conshard work, long hours, and takes 6-9 months to get good at job to begin to realise financial benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Management need to get up to date with modern management techniques

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood training if new in industry will give you a good base to go and find a new job in the industry after 6 Months

ConsHours, Management Autocratic.
    Should you have experience they try and brain wash you into doing it the Robert Half way?
    Staff who have longer service get away with what ever they want and new staff a treated very badly close to been bullied by senior staff and Management
    management have no vision and are always having to change what they implement as they do not do the research required when making changes (staff involvement Key)

Advice to Senior ManagementLighten up your staff make the money for the company you give guidence and support (Adolf Hitler died 60 years ago)

Worked for Robert Half? Contribute to the Community!