Roblox

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

David Baszucki

Amazing people with a great vision and engineering discipline

Director of Engineering (Former Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsThis is the most professional gaming company I have ever worked at, David, Keith, Matt everyone just oozes profesionnalism. None of that big ego stuff you find at other gaming companies, at Roblox people come to work to do their best and to be efficient at doing it.

The Roblox game environment is a 24x7 host solution and yet OT hardly ever occurs why? Because the system was engineered to be robust and scalable, and what is probably even more important the alert and notification system doesn't bug you at first sign of problems, it actually has some intelligence to it such that you only get paged when things are really suspect/bad.

ConsNot sure if I should put it down as a 'con' but Roblox is still a young start-up their policies and benefits are not as elaborate as you will find at other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep going and kick some a..!

Stressful environment, control freak CEO

ProsGood for gamers and programmers

ConsDon't care about employees. Poor management. High turnaround. Poor lighting in the office/ bad office space.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO is a absolute control freak. Let people do their jobs and stop trying to humiliate people.

Great place to work for great engineers

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsIf you're good, your career will be boosted light years ahead.
    Comp and perks are just right. No lavish lunches, just great food to keep you focused.
    Lots of room to grow and lots of opportunity.
    Visibility. There are no secrets in this company.

ConsYou'll have to manage your work/life balance.
    If you're not good, you will be directed to the door.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI have no Pros. Roblox isnt what it used to be.

ConsOverworking staff, doesn't care to listen to employees or even users of the game, low pay

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the product better

Ability to affect millions of people with every improvement you make

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

Pros- Work environment is definitely product focussed
    - Technology used to do beautiful things
    - Growing

Cons- Sometimes repetitive free lunches - let's mix it up!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the focus on the product and technology - media and advertisers will be pulled along

Lots of smart people, great vision, big market

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

Pros-Lots of room for new ideas. The tech is fairly new and broad, and there is minimal bureaucracy and approval "processes".
    -Talent is rewarded.
    -Smart coworkers
    -Transparency about company strategies all the way from exec level. Company meetings every week where all details of the business and financials are discussed.

Cons-This company isn't great for people who are just out of school. The expectation is that you take educating and training yourself into your own hands, which could be a bit of a challenge to some. If you do not possess the knowledge and the talent to be a good problem solver, don't expect management to train you on solving things.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

One of the nicest launching pads

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYour coworkers? For the most part are amazing. Sure there's always going to be some people you don't get along with but that's the same anywhere. They really take your needs into consideration and if you prove to them you're a hardworker, they'll treat you like family.

ConsUnderpaid depending on where you're living, no benefits yet but last I heard we were looking into some options there, almost guaranteed that you will work holidays.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall we tended to get more negative feedback and harsh reminders that we should have a handle on things. Instead of just pressuring us to work harder and faster I liked the few days where we were told to just stay calm, don't rush anything, and keep things steady. Focus more on the positive side.

Good, positive company with the great potential.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsNew technologies; fast pace; great potential.

ConsConstant delivery without checking for quality. No offices (open space and noise)

Advice to Senior Managementcubicles may improve productivities.

High-growth, high-learning environment that demands that I continuously up my game

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsVery fun product, amazing group of peers, diverse technology stack, and a broad range of problems to solve and opportunities to pursue. ROBLOX is a real meritocracy, where hard work, passion, and results win over everything else. You're constantly learning, and constantly improving. People are well rewarded and praised. I see some negative comments on this site about retention, but retention has been great from what I see, and we've doubled in size in less than one year.

ConsI think there are downsides for those who cannot adapt quickly, who are not flexible, or who are not able to consistently deliver. For these people, ROBLOX can be a challenge. ROBLOX can also be a tough place for those uncomfortable with a narrowly focused, highly iterative approach -- employees must be able to tolerate off-scope ideas being placed on the sidelines, and having interim results being "works in progress". From what I hear, ROBLOX is no different than other dynamic and successful tech companies.

Learning a lot, great people, radical product

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsCompany is growing even though a lot of people have never heard of us.

ConsWould like less distractions from coding.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease stick to the policy of being discriminating on the hiring as we continue to grow. Even though there is pressure to expand the staff keep our standards very high.

Worked for Roblox? Contribute to the Community!