Roche Bros. Supermarkets Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. If you don't want to be appreciated, work here.

Current Employee - Day Crew Grocery Clerk
    Current Employee - Day Crew Grocery Clerk

I have been working at Roche Bros. Supermarkets

Pros

Good hours, good coworkers, and customers are nice in the store. The store is clean and organized. Employee discount card, profit sharing, 401k, paid time off.

Cons

This was the worst place I have ever worked. You are not appreciated for anything, and you suck at everything. You stay late to help and get yelled at for overtime. If you don't stay long enough to help with payroll, why did you skip something? Raises are pathetic. Communication does not exist with management and department heads. Make this a last resort to come and work.

Advice to Management

Give your hard working employees some praise once in a while. Let them know where they stand. Give your employees some money. How do you expect your employees to survive on this piddly hourly wage. Most employees have to get part time jobs on the side when they work at Roche Bros.

2. Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Cashier in Bridgewater, MA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Bridgewater, MA

I have been working at Roche Bros. Supermarkets part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Frequent raises in hourly wages. Employee discount card. Flexible work schedules.

Cons

Managers change often throughout different stores.

3. Good place to work part time!

Former Employee - Deli Associate in West Roxbury, MA
    Former Employee - Deli Associate in West Roxbury, MA

I worked at Roche Bros. Supermarkets part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team work culture. The culture is promoted by management and the people they select to hire! Feels like a family run business even on the store levels of management.

Cons

Sometimes department managers don't coordinate well with each other and it can lead to a few people having longer shifts or working on shifts that are understaffed. But typically this is not an issue.

Advice to Management

Bettor organization and interaction with lower level employees. When a manager comes over and notices your department is under a barrage of customers and jumps it, its like a 5 star general joining the battlefield with privates. Your employees really respect you if you can do each job in the store with proficiency.

5. Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Cashier in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Needham, MA

I have been working at Roche Bros. Supermarkets

Pros

The other workers are very friendly. They give raises every year. The managers know what they are doing Taking time off is easy.

Cons

At my store you cannot work full time. Finding people to cover last minute shifts is horrible. Not that many Cons though.

6. Bagger

I worked at Roche Bros. Supermarkets

Pros

I was a bagger who placed purchases in bags, put them in the carts, and pushed them out to the parking lot to load into the shoppers' cars. It was a simple job that would be difficult to get fired from.

Cons

The only downside was having to push the cart outside to the customer's car when it was down pouring rain or freezing sleet. Check the weather before work and dress accordingly. There were Roche Bros. umbrellas by the door for employee use, but they would run out and were also difficult to handle while pushing the cart and loading the car.

7. it is a good company to work for.

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Mashpee, MA
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Mashpee, MA

I have been working at Roche Bros. Supermarkets full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

i love the people i work with. good benefits

Cons

dealing with customers and how stupid most of them are and they are also picky. the store iam in it seems that stuff never gets fixed if it breaks oe it takes forever to get it fixed when it is seen

My impressions?.. I do not like the company.

Current Employee - Cashier/Service Clerk in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Service Clerk in Needham, MA

I have been working at Roche Bros. Supermarkets part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Few of the employees are some of the best people I have ever met.

Cons

You get a break every 5 hours NOT 4 hours. Employees are supposed to get a break every 4 hours, but no one seems to care. If you ask them they just make up a fake reason why it cannot be 4 hours. I signed up to be a bagger and a cashier. I end up not cashiering and instead doing chores around the store in other departments. Sometimes I have to clean the ceiling with a broom or do the grocery sections job, these are not the jobs I signed up for. I wouldn't mind doing these chores every now and then, but I end up doing them every day. The management makes us put up a "cart fence" around the flowers outside so no one steals them. This is a complete waste of time, anyone could unhook the carts or easily jump over and take anything they please. Some of the employees are downright irritating, some do not even do their job at all but the management will still yell at you to do stuff and not other employees.If you are a veteran worker you can get away without doing anything, if you know the manager you get away with almost anything too. The manager runs around and does everyone else's job and is very rude when you accidentally mess up. The hours are all over the place, you could be working 7am to 10am then the next day 11am to 9pm. You don't get the next week's schedule till Saturday (the day before the next working week.) This store is downright disorganized and I don't usually complain this much. This stuff has been going on for so long that I had to write a review.

Advice to Management

I am only seventeen and I can figure out and analyze all of the dysfunctions in this company. The company thinks it comes before everything else even school. I had a supervisor try to get me to skip school to come work a shift at 7am. This needs to stop, you need to get a well balanced work force. I cannot be doing everyone else's job every single day. I work very hard, I want to be treated like a human being, not like a work slave. There are some very hard workers here, I look up to them, but I even see them being treated like nothing. If I call in sick I get a very rude attitude from the supervisors, it makes me feel like I did something wrong when I did nothing wrong. The customers can be very rude but I can deal with that, that's my job to deal with them. I did not realize I had to deal with very rude employees and higher ups. I've never complained about a job, my education, my responsibilities like I am complaining about Roche Brothers. When I was a customer I thought that working here would be very nice and friendly, but that changed very quickly when I started working. I'm not lazy I can do my job and I am not complaining about having to work, I am complaining about being disrespected. My co-workers, my family, my friends, and customers all agree with me. Please fix your system, i'm not trying to be disrespectful. Thank-you.

9. typical supermarket job

Former Employee - Bagger in Needham, MA
    Former Employee - Bagger in Needham, MA

I worked at Roche Bros. Supermarkets part-time (More than a year)

Pros

good management easy directives and goals put out by management simple job, doesnt require critical thinking or many skills

Cons

company policy prohibits you from taking tips when wage is already low not much else really, overall good company

Advice to Management

consider making pay raises more attainable for employees. its disheartening to hear in orientation that you can boost your pay but have it not really come true in the long run

10. A Joy to Work For

I worked at Roche Bros. Supermarkets part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Roche Bros. invests in each and every one of its employees with management, senior, and junior staff all working together to empower one another and move the company forward. It offers an excellent environment for all ages to begin a career.

Cons

There are none that come to mind.

No breaks after 4 hours of work

I have been working at Roche Bros. Supermarkets part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Other workers are very friendly.

Cons

Roche Brothers does not give a break even if you work 4 hours. Per Mass labor laws you should have a 10 min break for every 4 hours you work. If you bring the subject up you will not get any hours.

Advice to Management

Treat your people as people not your slaves. Give a break between the 3rd and 4th hour.

RSS Feed </> Embed