Roche
www.roche.com Basel, Switzerland 5000+ Employees

Roche Reviews

Updated Apr 2, 2014
Roche – US – “in front of the main building”

Roche CEO Roche Group Severin Schwan

Severin Schwan

Pros:
  • "Stable, many out-of payment benefits, work-life balance"
    in 7 reviews
  • "good benefits, decent salaries and bonuses"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior Management has to consider all staff benefit"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Can be difficult to get things completed due to such a large company things can move very slowly"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Although not a Bay Area Biotech Star Roche is a satisfying place to work that retains employees.

Senior Scientist (Current Employee)
Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Roche

ProsPleasant work environment. Some perks like regular socials and variety of employee social events.

ConsManagement does seem out of touch at times however I've seem much worse at other companies, so really can't complain.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrive to be a "Best place to work" to attract new scientists with innovative ideas.

Still a "Family Company."

Scientist (Former Employee)
Nutley, NJ

I worked at Roche

ProsThe Nutley, NJ site of Hoffmann-La Roche is one of the original US sites of the Basel-based pharmaceutical and it still maintains "Family-owned" roots (as compared to Roche sites that became part of the company when purchased or aquired). Roche enjoys including its employees in the success of the company to the end that even non-managment employees are given a bonus based on not only their performance, but the company's as well.

Senior researchers (PhDs) and junior researchers (BS/MS) are very friendly with each other and often socialize together during breaks (which are almost mandatory) and lunch. And the exchange of knowledge and assistance between all researchers regardless of level is free and friendly.

Roche's greatest feature is the low occurrence of layoffs. They do happen, but not very often. Roche is a stable place to work.

ConsAs with most companies, the only way to advance in the research side of the company beyond your degree is to either step on a lot of toes or transfer to a non-research position (referred to as a lateral promotion). The company will pay your tuition if you wish to get an advanced degree, but you have do it on your own time, and you must get a degree related to your current position (no getting an MBA for the scientists).

A method for saving money (which is industry-wide) is to outsource many of the jobs to contractors in order to avoid paying for benifits. Roche is guilty of this and it makes those in facilities maintenence very bitter and hard to work with.

Advice to Senior ManagementRoche needs to concentrate on the company that is has, and avoid purchasing other's intellectual property. And the fear that the company's Chinese startups instills in it's US and European workers is real and should be noted, or Roche will become another victim of low morale in this age of outsourcing.

Overall, good company to work for.

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Roche

ProsSalary is very competitive, although there is no profit sharing opportunities

ConsTravel is very stressfull on my family.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore recognition for middle management

Roche Basel good place to work with only few opportunities of career.

GSM (Current Employee)
Basel (Switzerland)

I have been working at Roche full-time

ProsCompany Culture, Values and people management is very good.

ConsNo real career opportunities. People are staying too long at the same position

continuous development in strategic thinking , motivated by success.

Business Unit Head (Former Employee)
Casablanca (Morocco)

I worked at Roche full-time for less than a year

ProsCareer opportunities and culture of high values

Consdifficult balance between work and family life

Amazing people

Intern (Former Employee)
Basel (Switzerland)

I worked at Roche as an intern for less than a year

ProsPeople there are very friendly; very good working environment; on site fitness and swimming pool; building with great view of Basel

ConsThere is really nothing much that I could possibly think of that I was not satisfied withal every thing was great.

Opportunity for professional growth and contributing to the health and well-being of patients.

Human Resources Manager (Former Employee)
Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)

I worked at Roche full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCutting-edge leadership in R&D and medicines. Working with outstanding professionals and truly helping people. Gave me the opportunity to grow and develop.

ConsThe drive to "do more with less" is creating burn-out in the workforce.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize employees as valued contributors to the company's success...not as a slogan, but for real.

Don't come here if you hate layers of process

Medical Director (Former Employee)
Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)

I worked at Roche full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of opportunities, good facilities, lots of people and access to expertise.

ConsOpaque decision making process and many layers of process for even the simplest. Lots of silo mentality and not much entrepreneurial thinking. Open plan throughout and many rules and procedures for everything. Tracking of time spent on projects and work-life balance a low consideration.

Advice to Senior ManagementClear out a lot of the middle management holding the organisation back.

Great place to work!

IT Service Manager (Former Employee)
Mannheim (Germany)

I worked at Roche full-time for more than a year

ProsFair salary and nice people to work with. Tasks are interesting and managers listen to you.

ConsVery big company so sometimes you have to go to several people to get essential things done.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep going like that.

Great company for growth

I have been working at Roche full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat opportunities for growth. Management will really support your liking to a path for growth.

ConsSalary lower than most pharmaceutical company

Worked for Roche? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Roche reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Roche CEO Severin Schwan. All 123 reviews posted anonymously by Roche employees.