Roche Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
3.8

Roche CEO Roche Group Severin Schwan
Severin Schwan

Pros
  • Roche has excellent benefits, makes a profit consistently and has a great work life balance (in 32 reviews)

• Good Benefits, Salary was somewhat above average for industry (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Tracking of time spent on projects and work-life balance a low consideration (in 15 reviews)

• Senior management is terrible- employee reviews are terrible and highlight significant issues (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

awesome family

I worked at Roche full-time

Pros

culture to them is real

Cons

some restructuring has happened in order to keep them running in forefront of the marketplace

keep culture alive

A great place to work

Former Employee - Finance Manager  in  Nutley, NJ
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Nutley, NJ

I worked at Roche full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent work processes, continuously reviewed and updated.Well maintained integrated systems, reviewed and updated periodically for robust performance and meaningful data. Fair work life balance and fair compensation. Sense of community in many if not all areas. I travelled extensively for this company (many countries) and have always found most employees to be quiet happy.

Cons

Top management is Ok since the departure of one who is now a CEO at another place. However, not as great as the previous top management which had their eyes on the bottom line but also valued their employees. Current management does not value the employee as seen in more than 5000 employees loosing their jobs at a location they had for more than 100 years. Management would point to performance but needs to look at the performance based on the basket of products available to that location.

Great work atmosphere, too much bureaucracy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Roche full-time

Pros

- Respect for employees' work/life balance. Salaried employees have some flexibility in work hours. Most managers are willing to work with you on this, as long as you're a reliable employee with no performance issues.
    - Excellent vacation and health benefits (includes dental, vision, prescription, retirement savings/401k)
    - Friendly and respectful work atmosphere
    - Plenty of learning and career development opportunities (includes tuition reimbursement)
    - Employee appreciation events and activities are very nice and well-organized - company not afraid to spend money to reward employees for hard work
    - Good on-site cafeterias/food service
    - Challenging work - very bright colleagues who will push and inspire you to do your best.

Cons

- Very risk-averse, to the point where project implementation is difficult and can drag on for months. Too much red tape and documentation are required to get any project off the ground.
    - The trade-off for the great benefits is that salaries can be 10K lower than what you'd find elsewhere for a similar job title/role.
    - Success within your career path depends mostly on who you know and how well you fit with your direct manager's personal focus and leadership style. Employees who are stuck in a rut career-wise can become "unstuck" by moving to a different department/manager.
    - Managers spend too much time in meetings and travelling

- Find ways to streamline project development and implementation, including cutting down on needless, unhelpful documentation and layers of bureaucracy.
    - Cut down on meetings and travel for managers.
    - Encourage managers to sit with employees once a month and understand the day-to-day work.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent environment for work with ample resources for training

Former Employee - Senior Clinical Research Associate  in  Nutley, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Clinical Research Associate in Nutley, NJ

I worked at Roche full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly and welcoming culture. Extensive investment in training of its employees. Good processes in place to facilitate workflow. Emphasis is on quality and not just speed. Projects are appropriately resourced

Cons

There are scheduling challenges when co-ordinating the San Francisco (3 hours west) and Basel (6 hours east) campuses

Achieving cultural integration across the global sites is challenging. The overall organization can benefit by attending to these matters

Great learning experience

Former Employee - Pharmaceutical Sales Specialist Representative  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Pharmaceutical Sales Specialist Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Roche full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I worked my own hours, I produced as I saw fit, as long as I produced they left me alone. all in all in was an ideal job for a top producer and someone as driven as me. I couldn't have asked for a better career, until the industry went south.

Cons

Dishonest, big on lip service, poor on follow through even if they expect it from the folks in the field, corporate greed, lots of posturing, typical Nazi stereotype...all at Roche

Grow some. Integrity is sexy, concepts such as honor, character and ethics are sorely lacking at the top. We did in the field as we saw above at the corporate office.

Glad I did it!

Current Employee - Field Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Field Sales Representative

I have been working at Roche full-time

Pros

Great benefits compared to other American healthcare-related companies
    Great culture at office/plant campuses
    Technology/clinical leader in diagnostics - best-in-class or close for most product types

Cons

Difficult to get to know others well if you are in the field
    Very sales driven - especially on some dead horses

Keep doing what you're doing.

If you want a job as a cog in a machine. Here's one.

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Roche full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There is great job security here, but not really much room for ambition. If you don't mind doing the same thing until the end of your career than this is a place for you. There are not many leadership opportunities, and those that are come rarely but last for life. In healthcare work-life balance is an afterthought. You must make that a personal goal to achieve for yourself, or else the company will use as much as you give and ask for more. Great benefits though.

Cons

The diagnostics division is not generally considered revenue generating, and as such all things are seen in that light. You can only do as good a breaking even so most successes seem muted. The is little room for advancement. You will work with an aging workforce that is waiting for someone to tell them to retire. The company resources in-house are world class, but the field is left to their own devices.

Take better care to investigate employee work-life balance. Structure your teams with an equal parts experience, ambition, energy, and knowledge. Question local behaviors and activities and match them with the corporate perks. Take care of the field employees and do not overtly make them feel like an expense.

Typical company

I have been working at Roche

Pros

Great products, great workers, nice Midwest city.

Cons

Lousy managers and management. No pension and benefits have deteriorated

Promote based on real performance, not on personal opinion.

Quality Control

I worked at Roche

Pros

Friendly employees, flexible hours, up to date

Cons

Too many cliques with management, No room for growth

Allow more room for growth and be fair to everyone

I enjoy working here the benefits are great

I have been working at Roche

Pros

The benefits, the company values, core beliefs and they promote heavily from within

Cons

Training can be a bit much since there are constant changes happening daily. We aren't fully merged with our sister company GENE as expected

Consider taking employees through constant training and no to assume that they will learn via email

Worked for Roche? Contribute to the Community!