Roche

Updated February 26, 2015
3.9

Roche CEO Roche Group Severin Schwan
Severin Schwan

Pros
  • Roche has excellent benefits, makes a profit consistently and has a great work life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Good Benefits, Salary was somewhat above average for industry (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Tracking of time spent on projects and work-life balance a low consideration (in 17 reviews)

• Senior management is terrible- employee reviews are terrible and highlight significant issues (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Roche as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Pay is competitive, Benefits are great, company matching 401k. This was my first real and its been great so far.

Cons

Career opportunities are available but they open up rather slowly, however, they do get available positions which are filled by their contractors.

I have nothing that I believe management should change. They have treated me very well since I have started here.

Electracal Engineer

I worked at Roche

Pros

Cause theres growth in this company and theres a bright future and opportunities to inhanace a new skill.and a secure future .

Cons

To become part of a team who works together to keep the company moving forward and always exchanging idias so that there is growth with in the company.

A company can always make good business ones they know who are they compadeters and how to satisfy there customers.

It was a great company, there was a lot of learning to gain from this company in which I planet my mind to do so.

Former Employee - Senior Photographer in Nutley, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Photographer in Nutley, NJ

I worked at Roche

Pros

there where alot of events to cover for the company on a daily base, Meeting new people and learning about why these events was taken place, Team player was a great group to work with each and every day it was very close to a family who help each other in al phases of work in house and on location in which we did on a daily base also.
    Managers where great to work with too, cause he knew he had a great team to pull off any jobs that came our way an was completed and on time and if we had to put in over time it was not a problem for any of the team members.

Cons

I must say there was days when wealther was really bad and we still had to somehow make it in to cover the events.

None, that i can think of, We was all treated well as a team and there wasn't any person that got special treatment above all everyone was treated the same and work hard to maintain the word flow better each job we all did.

Truly felt valued

I worked at Roche

Pros

Challenging yet rewarding. Great benefits package.

Cons

Site closure resulted in lay-offs

Can be very good but many have been let go to realignments

Former Employee - Account Specialist in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Account Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Roche full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very good benefits. Most of your co-workers are professional and good to work with. Indianapolis campus is a nice environment as well.

Cons

However management will focus on metrics to an extreme instead of if the job is getting done, relationships are being built, patients are being helped as well as the numbers. When positions are eliminated attempt to offer employees other positions within the company

Offer loyal employees affected by realignment other opportunities within the company even if in a different business unit.

Great place to work but values changed along the way

Former Employee - Training Developer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Training Developer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Roche full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, great co-workers, flexibility with schedule depending on position

Cons

Feedback atmosphere encouraged...but only if it's pleasant to hear. Managers/Directors with no experience in the areas they are running.

Look to your teams and promote from within rather than seeking those who only have a desire to move around the organization. Be accepting of criticism that is honest.

overall - ok

I worked at Roche full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

a true global exposure company

Cons

due to its large operations, a very silos company

try to be a family company

Great Family Culture: Poor Treatment of Temporary/Contract Workers

Current Employee - Senior Lab Technician in Branchburg, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Lab Technician in Branchburg, NJ

I have been working at Roche full-time

Pros

Working at Roche is like being part of a family. People look out for each other and act in a manner that is friendly and professional. This company is great to start out with, has amazing opportunities for those who are willing to diversify their skill set, and is an overall joy to work for. Management works with their employees and aims to take care of their own.

Cons

Compensation has been declining over the years. Benefits are good, but salaries are low and upper management seems reluctant to keep their pay rates competitive with anything but the lowest of industry estimates. Vertical movement is difficult to achieve. Contract/temp workers are not paid competitively and are 'forced' into cut-rate benefits policies from Roche's choice of staffing firms. Management ignores the contract workers and seems hesitant to provide any kind of advancement opportunities. Some temps have been here 8 YEARS doing consistently great work but are overlooked for permanent positions.

Roche's benefits program used to make up for it's low rate of pay but this is not the case anymore. Management needs to put some serious thought into restructuring their current compensation plans to keep them competitive. Treat temp workers better; many of them are fantastic employees but are passed over for external hires. If you are going to cultivate talent, then encourage and utilize it instead of diminishing it.

International company, passion for innovation, encouraging team work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Roche full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

+ company is science driven
    + external, cooperative mindset
    + encourages cross-functional team work
    + decent decision making process
    + decent overall benefit package

Cons

- easy to get stuck in one position, puts you "in a box"
    - very frequent management changes, busy to create new "strategies"
    - European staff (Management) has sometimes difficulties to understand US market/regulations

Stronger focus on proper execution of strategies, rather than to create new ones. Improve retention plans for employees.

Great Company, lots of great people

Former Contractor - Laboratory Technician III in Branchburg, NJ
    Former Contractor - Laboratory Technician III in Branchburg, NJ

I worked at Roche as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Great culture, very nice people

Cons

Opportunities for temps are slim to none

Look to your temps before hiring from outside