Roche Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
3.9

Roche CEO Roche Group Severin Schwan
Severin Schwan

Pros
  • Roche has excellent benefits, makes a profit consistently and has a great work life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Good Benefits, Salary was somewhat above average for industry (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • They are very inflexible about working from home and there is little work-life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Senior management is terrible- employee reviews are terrible and highlight significant issues (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

The Internship was a great experience to learn about the company and also to work on a real project

Current Employee - Quality Control in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Quality Control in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Roche as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The program is well organized , you get to network with other employees and be part of multiple professional development events.

Cons

The company in indianapolis does not have many opportunities for interns to continue as full time employees

Managers and supervisors are very helpful and they like to be part of the internship program

Good work ethics

I worked at Roche full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company teaches a lot, demands a lot and offers a lot to anyone that makes it into them corporation. They look very good on a resume.

Cons

It is extremely corporate and, like many large corporations, there are political games to play and the best employees aren't the ones that excel to the top.

This goes to Germany... learn to understand the challenges that the US market faces compared to the rest of the world and then make your sales goals accordingly

Solid company, solid future, good work-live balance

Current Employee - Account Executive in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Roche full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Roche will be around forever. No one will ever buy them because they are just too big!

Cons

Because of the innovative products, sometimes sales reps don't earn the same level of commissions as other companies. Salaries are good but for top performing reps the earnings are lack luster.

Compensation per deal has declined every year for 6 years running. Your high performing reps will go elsewhere.

Fantastic place but pRED gRED Divide

Former Employee - Principal Scientist in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Principal Scientist in Newark, NJ

I worked at Roche full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Roche is a fantastic company to work for, but a lot depends on whether you are pRED or gRED. As far as salary, benefits and treating employees with respect, it is a wonderful place. There are enough opportunities for everyone to do well, grow and be rewarded.

Cons

gRED has an air of superiority over pRED, and its no fun being on the pRED side.

pRED and gRED have very different cultures. Cannot directly compare the two organizations or their productivity, without changing management styles.

Overall good place to work

I have been working at Roche full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

An open culture where employees are generally treated with dignity and respect.

Cons

Passive aggressive nature of those in the Genentech clashes with the more transparent way that Roche (both in the US and Globally) typically conduct themselves.

Great experience but not a funnel to full-time

Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Roche as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great internship experience, depending on your department. Roche has been improving the internship program for a few years now. The pay is pretty good for an internship and they provide housing if you don't live in Indianapolis.

Cons

If you are looking for an offer at the end of your internship, don't expect one from Roche. The program is not a funnel to full time employment (although they may tell you in the interview process that it is). If you are an outstanding intern, you can keep your connections and apply when you graduate (but there are very view opportunities for talent without experience).

Recognize talent doesn't necessarily mean experience and put structures in place to retain interns after graduation.

Great Pay.

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer
    Former Employee - Field Service Engineer

I worked at Roche full-time

Pros

Good pay and Benefits. Helpful colleagues and management.

Cons

Poor work/life balance. 24/7 on call

great place to work

Former Employee - Scientist in Nutley, NJ
    Former Employee - Scientist in Nutley, NJ

I worked at Roche full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

work life balance, culture and benefits

Cons

management was old school and slow promotion system

great work-life balance

One pleased intern

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Roche as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The overall culture of the company. They truly live their cultural beliefs and this makes the company a great place at which to work. I was nervous I didn't have the correct skills for the internship position, but my manager and co-workers couldn't have been more friendly about helping me through on a daily basis.

Cons

I didn't have any real projects that I could call my own. I typically was going around the building asking colleagues for work or to help on projects.

Keep doing what you have in place, but ensure all interns are given something to actually do.

Passionate Employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Roche full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The scientists who work at Roche are very passionate about the work they do and it's nice to be in that environment. Salary and benefits are good.

Cons

Many policies and directives come from the headquarters in Basel, Switzerland and don't always seem relevant to offices in California. The bureaucracy and length of time it takes for changes to take effect can be frustrating.