Roche Reviews

Updated September 26, 2014
3.9

Roche CEO Roche Group Severin Schwan
Severin Schwan

Pros
  • Roche has excellent benefits, makes a profit consistently and has a great work life balance (in 35 reviews)

• Good Benefits, Salary was somewhat above average for industry (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • They are very inflexible about working from home and there is little work-life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Senior management is terrible- employee reviews are terrible and highlight significant issues (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

I wanted to love the company but....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Roche full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent salary; excellent benefits; enjoyed my co-workers; nice work/life balance

Cons

Micromanaged by middle management who, a lot of times, did not have a grasp of what was going on within the department. Focused too much "focused feedback" which at times was very critical and not given in a motivating manner. One of their core beliefs is "Speak Up" but speaking up could backfire and have a negative impact on your career. Middle management pretty much wants you to agree with whatever they are saying. Lost focus of the customer in the time I was there. Very behind in technology.

Really look at your middle management...many have not a clue as to what is going on within their departments.

Much good like benefits but can be political and depending on the department micro managed.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Roche full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The benefits are very good. Most coworkers are very good to work with. Products are helping people which is very satisfying.

Cons

Sometimes the better employee is not the one who gets the promotion. Different career paths are not clear to employees and a good employee can get stuck. Possible paths are left for the employee to figure out on there own. "Coaching" can become overly critical and drawn out.

Listen to employees and if company expects loyalty it must give it in return. There have been several positions eliminated and good people let go. During realignment try to find other positions within the company for affected employees instead of letting them go.

A Great place to work.

Current Employee - Network Technician
    Current Employee - Network Technician

I have been working at Roche full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A Very good pay rate.

Cons

Always living out of an hotel

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work with many opportunities

I worked at Roche

Pros

Great science and vision. Great balance of new talent and legacy folks. You could learn as much as you wanted. Benefits are top. Compensation great. Worked with some great talent. Some of the management was ok. The true workers great people.

Cons

PhDs don't make always the best mangers. Some Labs needed renovations. Silo departments. From one department to another you are managed differently. Taking over Genentech messed up a great legacy. Worst was the big lie of making nutely a research center and then closing the site. Roche as a company lost a lot of my respect.

Take a course in human ethics

The potential to build a better future for diabetics is there but not realized

I have been working at Roche full-time

Pros

Great benefits, fitness center, flexibility in job execution, great to work for a company that makes products that help people, very generous to charities, lots of opportunities to network and volunteer

Cons

Employment instability, out-dated technologies (intranet, employee portal, training portal), senior management makes odd decisions, product direction is confusion, lack of innovative products, tell you to innovate but innovative decisions are made by a small group of pals, stale culture, lack of decision making causes extra work and stagnates the development process, managers seem to be more focused on meeting their bonuses than the actual product that the customer receives

Listen to your workers, they have a vast amount of knowledge that is being overlooked.

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Technical Service Engineer
    Current Employee - Technical Service Engineer

I have been working at Roche full-time for less than a year

Pros

Employee satisfaction, feeling of being the member of Roche family, good reward of efforts.

Cons

Unbalance work/personal life, more than enough work load,

As a past employee, I can honestly say that Roche Diagnostics is as close to the Gold Standard as possible

Former Employee - Inside Sales  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Roche full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Consultative sales approach, highest form of sales training available, everyone working in the sales dept. is very intelligent, highest quality of products available

Cons

Like most international corporations, there are a LOT of politics involved and though the US is the biggest market for the company, Germany does not seem to grasp the idea of the differences the US market has from the rest of the world (FDA, etc.)

LISTEN a little more to your employee's on the front lines and realize that while Roche is top notch, other companies are close behind with lower prices. In the rapidly changing medical world (in the US), lower prices will hold as much importance as Patient care!

Outlook negative for my department

Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Roche full-time for more than a year

Pros

Supervisors/coworkers competent and friendly. Training program is excellent. Pay is fairly good for call center work. High level of satisfaction helping people in need. Cross-training opportunities

Cons

High call volume, upset customers, need to make excuses to customers on every call for hold time, repetitive, layoffs created stressfull work environment.

Think of how laying off more than half the department may affect patient welfare and workload of employees.

My worst job

Former Employee - Senior Scientist  in  Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Roche full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is well funded/resourced and very stable (unlikely to get layed-off or fired), and the benefits were pretty good.

Cons

The job responsibilities were boring and not challenging, the employee education assistance programs were limited, and much of management was incompetent at managing people, projects.

Senior Software Engineer

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer - L13  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer - L13 in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Roche full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay, most people were good to work with.

Cons

In my position I was not developing a marketable skill set.

middle mangers seemed to be to overloaded

Worked for Roche? Contribute to the Community!