Rochester Armored Car

Updated June 11, 2014
Updated June 11, 2014
1.9

Joseph M. Shea

A lot to lean without training.

Former Employee - Driver  in  Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Driver in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Rochester Armored Car full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Rochester works with older employee to keep them on the job.

Cons

Do not pay for knowledge or hard work. Pay increases for (if you are will liked by the boss).

No advice,they know it all!

just don't

Former Employee - Armed Guard
    Former Employee - Armed Guard

I worked at Rochester Armored Car full-time for less than a year

Pros

They offer a lot more than 40 hrs a week. They pay for some certifications like CPR and Conceal and Carry. It is an experience to drive an armored vehicle. A few ex-mil co workers.

Cons

Vehicles at our shop were definitely not up to code. About a third of the trucks lacked air conditioning (its not fun being cooped up in for 12 hrs in 100+ degrees while wearing the thick uniform). They do not do a good job screening for qualified candidates, a lot of want to be tough guys, alcoholics, and strange folk. There is no over time or any compensation for the extra hrs you put in. It is 2 guys to a truck, I think the standard is supposed to be 3.

My experience may differ from others though, my advice is steer clear. Find another source of work or look into other companies like Brinks.

Fix vehicles and pay attention to the type of people you hire.

Do not apply!

Current Employee - Messenger  in  Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Messenger in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rochester Armored Car full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some pretty bank tellers. Some of the accounts are fun to go to everyday.

Cons

Probably too many to list. But I will say management is a joke because unless it has something to do with the route, no help is given. I've been with this company for 8 months and I was supposed to have watched all the "Integrity" movies but have not seen them. This is supposed to make me over the $10hr mark. Plus another for professional carry, but have not see that yet either.
        Half of the employees think they are commandos and I'd just rather avoid them. My partner before he left was a crazy lunatic waving his gun all the time and pointing it out the gun porthole. Now I've been running the route myself for 3 months. You also get no OT due to some loophole with the job description. Holidays are just nuts and double routes are mandatory and must be done before banks close. This makes the job very stressful and speeding is implied.
         While your working to supply ATM machines you must watch your own back because the driver wont. This means while your focused on working on the ATM machine, you can not watch your back at the same time and people walk up to you before you can notice them and most will have a serious attitude because they say they are entitled to use that ATM. I personally have gotten into verbal disputes with people because they will not back away from my ATM and open truck full of money.

A higher rate of pay for what we do should be given and the bar set higher for new hire personnel. This may keep/bring valuable employees instead of showing us that we are expendable fodder.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rochester gave me a chance and I can say that the shea's have been great to me. All around good people to work for.

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - General Manager in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Rochester Armored Car

Pros

The on/off days are great. One day drive/ One day jump gives you a break and keeps you working. There are plenty of hours to work if you want them. A great group of people work here also. a monthly safety bonus and meeting keeps everyone on the same page and an occational potluck is great.

Cons

Health Insurance could be better but I think unless you work for the government your insurance will be lacking in some way.
    The striaght pay kind of stinks but the work day isn't hard to get through.

Insurance and better pay is what I hear from my guys but I feel that if you do your job you will get what you deserve with time. Nothing changes overnight without alot of hard work.

toughin it out 'till i can find something else

Current Employee - Driver
    Current Employee - Driver

I have been working at Rochester Armored Car

Pros

can work well over 40 hours a week. company pays for CDL and passport (where needed for work). it's a really good temp job while looking for a police position. you're in one of the toughest vehicles on the road. and lets not forget the occasional cute bank tellers (best part).

Cons

you will never get overtime pay due to a labeling loophole in your job description. employee reviews are nonexistent. you will receive raises roughly once a year based on management favoritism over any actual performance. promotions are rare. getting time off is difficult at best.

when hiring please set the bar a bit higher. considering what we do having extra people on staff isn't a bad thing. also considering the risks we take daily it would be nice not to be treated as a disposable resource.

This Company is a joke.

Current Employee - Jack-of-All-Trades
    Current Employee - Jack-of-All-Trades

I have been working at Rochester Armored Car

Pros

The work itself is not complicated and can be very enjoyable depending on who you are working with for the day. The job is fairly easy to learn and also isn't too terribly demanding. Matching 401k is decent.

Cons

Everything else! Management has a serious lack of communication. The armored trucks are often running on their last leg before being worked on, and even then the bare minimum is done. One truck we were driving had the seat belt come unbolted....it stayed like that for over a week even after management was notified. Lots of empty promises from management. If you are told you will be getting a raise expect to wait at least another six months before actually getting it...with no backpay. Lots of heavy lifting and yet the company offers no health insurance benefits, also no sick pay. Even though we work usually 45 to 50 hours a week no overtime is ever given. Favoritism is huge within this company...one guy repeatedly comes in late and at least once did not shown up without calling in. He is in no danger of being fired since he is a drinking buddy of the local manager. Too many negative things to list about this company. I talked to an Industrial & Organized Psychologist about the company and told him about all the things that go on. He told me that a company like this should be avoided at all costs. This was a definite "F" grade company.

Offer some health benefits. We put our backs on the line everyday to get work done, the least you could do is offer a little insurance. Also, learn how to communicate properly.

Worked for Rochester Armored Car? Contribute to the Community!