Rochester General Health System

Mark Clement

outpatient dialysis

Current Employee - Dialysis Nurse Licensed Practical Nurse in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Dialysis Nurse Licensed Practical Nurse in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Rochester General Health System full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great to work for, practice what they preach

Cons

if you have to work at the hospital parking is a pain

Fair pay, bad management

Current Employee - Analyst in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Rochester General Health System

Pros

The pay is fair, coworkers are hardworking, friendly, and positive.

Cons

Management is disconnected from the group. Expect you to be able to complete a project with no direction, no plan on how, no effort from them, just get it done so they can cross it off their list and look good.

Leaders lead from the front, bosses lead from the back. They're a bunch of bosses here but no leaders.

Overall I think the company has good values, although there should be more unity.

I have been working at Rochester General Health System full-time

Pros

You make more money as a clinical nurse I (once you hit the year mark) than strong or highland and I can't imagine accepting LESS money for the work I do

Cons

I don't like my specific unit and am looking to move to another. There are no unions here and every floor can make its own policies to whatever the manager sees fit within reason. And if you want to move up you have to do a ridiculous amount of work to make $1-2 more an hour. Not worth it in my opinopn.

Corporate culture wolf in healthcare sheep's clothing

Current Employee - Licensed Medical Care Provider in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Licensed Medical Care Provider in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Rochester General Health System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My coworkers are wonderful to work with and for the most part my 1st level supervisors are also. Overall good patient care. Reasonable compensation and benefits considering current economy.

Cons

Ex corporate managers (Kodak as example), tend to ruin the environment. Bonus incentives for management weighted to much for making budget. High turn over in my department. I'm planning on leaving after 5 years (I'll be vested). One of the most important aspects of the hospital - keeping it clean - fails miserably. At times the staff is stretched dangerously thin. Bad for both staff and patients and staff. Bad communication and poorly organized.

To the new CEO - I am hopeful that the letters MD after your name, your good sense of business matters and your primary value of "Treat the patient like family" will influence the system in a very positive way. Watch out for ex corporate managers (Kodak as example), they may be good or they may be wolves. Change the bonus incentives for management to include a much higher weighting on patient and staff satisfaction not so much for making budget.

Not the best experience

Former Employee - Business Office Associate
    Former Employee - Business Office Associate

I worked at Rochester General Health System (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good vacation/pro, nice gym

Cons

Little training, everyone seems to hate their jobs, no supervision or interest from supervisors...I did not learn anything about my place of business after 15 months, my coworkers seemed to hate their jobs and it wasn't a friendly work environment. I was never reviewed in any capacity

Actually show some interest in others, work to have better training opportunities

A great learning experience

I have been working at Rochester General Health System

Pros

Co-workers, supportive. Educational opportunities, Many opportunities

Cons

Upper management sometimes doesn't listen.

Take advice from your employees who are directly caring for the patients. Listen to their concerns do not just sweep them under the rug.

horrible workplace environment

I have been working at Rochester General Health System full-time

Pros

A hospital is a place for healing and as such this hospital has many dedicated staff members who are the soul of the place.

Cons

The current crop of managers simply do not care about the mission of a hospital. They are callouss, pernicious and money driven.

If you bury your head in the sand and continue to elevate persons with no decency nor sense of mission for what a hospital is, you will reap what you have sown.
    A hospital is not a place where widgets are created nor is it a place where services should be intentionally rushed. A hospital is a place of healing and it is supposed to be a humanitarian enterprise.
    However you have certain people in positions of power who oversee others and do not consider their staff as anything more than widget makers.
    This is morally and ethically wrong and it needs to stop.

Poor leadership throughout, major issues in human resources

Pros

Decent pay and building a thicker skin.

Cons

People are protected and everything does roll down hill. People who should have been out of there a long time ago are still there treating everyone like crap and ruining morale. Everyone knows it yet directors will not do anything about it. Protecting crappy people makes it a horrible place to work. This is administrative, not medical.

check your directors and the protected people need to go!

RGH is an excellent employer, offering a competitive wage and benefits package.

Former Employee - Patient Intake in Fairport, NY
    Former Employee - Patient Intake in Fairport, NY

I worked at Rochester General Health System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Stability is the first thing that I think of.

Cons

Changes due to recent acquisitions

Don't over load the staff, it creates burnout that effects employee performance.

Ups and downs, but overall a decent employer.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Rochester General Health System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Not-for-profit. Pensions, 403B. Good pay, large organization, nurse magnet, good reputation. Average vacation/paid time off. Last I checked $3000 a year toward higher education as long as the funds are there and with management approval. 22% off with Verizon. Many other discounts. Patient advocacy is promoted and encouraged. Nursing camaraderie is prevalent; but there are a few eat-your-young nurses and those there for a "free" paycheck. Clinical ladder for higher title (Clin I, Clin II, etc) is available for the conscientious. EMR we use is Epic, also called Care Connect. Many resources available to help do your job and learn. RGHS just became partners with RIT. There are some top notch nurses, doctors, managers, and everything else in between at RGHS. It is a teaching hospital (nurses and doctors) so mentorship, debate/discussion and asking questions is the norm.

Cons

Health insurance is restricted to using ONLY RGHS doctors and isn't very good in the first place (sign of the times, maybe?) with very high premiums and copays. Must use mail order pharmacy or pay out of pocket. Leadership-wise, there is a lack of follow through at the nurse management level and it seems as if there is little accountability when staff collectively bring up concerns about both HR and leadership issues in their department. Some managers do play favorites, but I suppose that is everywhere. That can be extremely stressful to those who keep their nose to the grindstone and keep to the work while there are others who spend the day socializing or delegating. This can create animosity, poor work environments and decreased morale because managers tend to encourage solving problems like that on your own, which is certainly appropriate but only to a certain extent. There is no annual merit increase in wage. Instead there is what they're calling a "spectrum" comparing your experience and what the competitors pay to you are professionally. Where you are on the spectrum determines if you get a wage increase or the amount. Your training GREATLY varies depending on the department. Some training is top notch and in other departments you learn from your mistakes (cringe) but the initial new-hire orientation with the hospital is fantastic.

CEO Mark Clement is a true visionary who has helped lead RGHS through tremendous growth. The future is preventative care with an outpatient focus. The effect the core staff are feeling from the quick growth is the workload increased so much with little or no planning ahead. More positions have to be begged for before hiring begins, after months (or years) of moving toward breaking point. Over the years I have worked in a few departments in both inpatient and outpatient settings. It is unbelievable how differently each experience went for me. I am very proud to be working for RGHS as a whole. The services we offer are quite vast and we carry many different awards and certifications, and earned them. The successes can be contributed to teamwork and lack of silos. That said, It should be evident when a specific department has a high turnover rate that something is amiss and does not follow the RGHS "way." My current manager has been making excuses and always says "it is a challenging department," when actually it isn't any more challenging than the other departments. There is so much room for improvement, but she does not listen to the staff who do the work. The staff have then sent concerns to the higher-ups in the frame of mind where "we want our department to be successful," but again, excuses were made. The burnout is not from the work, but from the frustration stemming from broken processes in place; problem solving attempts without staff input often lead to further problems. I stuck it out because I love my patients and my coworkers. There is a sense of camaraderie where nurses watch out for each other at RGHS. All in all, I like RGHS, but mostly just like being a nurse and having the opportunity to help others. I appreciate change and love that RGHS is trying so hard to provide so many options for the community while staying on track with technology and evidence-based practice.

Ultimately my advice to management is to please bring back the forums where Mark Clement would travel to individual departments. Those were more valuable to the staff than anything.