Rochester General Health System

Updated November 5, 2014
3.4

Rochester General Health System CEO Mark Clement
Mark Clement

Overall I think the company has good values, although there should be more unity.

I have been working at Rochester General Health System full-time

Pros

You make more money as a clinical nurse I (once you hit the year mark) than strong or highland and I can't imagine accepting LESS money for the work I do

Cons

I don't like my specific unit and am looking to move to another. There are no unions here and every floor can make its own policies to whatever the manager sees fit within reason. And if you want to move up you have to do a ridiculous amount of work to make $1-2 more an hour. Not worth it in my opinopn.

Not the best experience

Former Employee - Business Office Associate
    Former Employee - Business Office Associate

I worked at Rochester General Health System (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, good vacation/pro, nice gym

Cons

Little training, everyone seems to hate their jobs, no supervision or interest from supervisors...I did not learn anything about my place of business after 15 months, my coworkers seemed to hate their jobs and it wasn't a friendly work environment. I was never reviewed in any capacity

Actually show some interest in others, work to have better training opportunities

A great learning experience

I have been working at Rochester General Health System

Pros

Co-workers, supportive. Educational opportunities, Many opportunities

Cons

Upper management sometimes doesn't listen.

Take advice from your employees who are directly caring for the patients. Listen to their concerns do not just sweep them under the rug.

horrible workplace environment

I have been working at Rochester General Health System full-time

Pros

A hospital is a place for healing and as such this hospital has many dedicated staff members who are the soul of the place.

Cons

The current crop of managers simply do not care about the mission of a hospital. They are callouss, pernicious and money driven.

If you bury your head in the sand and continue to elevate persons with no decency nor sense of mission for what a hospital is, you will reap what you have sown.
    A hospital is not a place where widgets are created nor is it a place where services should be intentionally rushed. A hospital is a place of healing and it is supposed to be a humanitarian enterprise.
    However you have certain people in positions of power who oversee others and do not consider their staff as anything more than widget makers.
    This is morally and ethically wrong and it needs to stop.

Poor leadership throughout, major issues in human resources

I have been working at Rochester General Health System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay and building a thicker skin.

Cons

People are protected and everything does roll down hill. People who should have been out of there a long time ago are still there treating everyone like crap and ruining morale. Everyone knows it yet directors will not do anything about it. Protecting crappy people makes it a horrible place to work. This is administrative, not medical.

check your directors and the protected people need to go!

RGH is an excellent employer, offering a competitive wage and benefits package.

Former Employee - Patient Intake in Fairport, NY
    Former Employee - Patient Intake in Fairport, NY

I worked at Rochester General Health System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Stability is the first thing that I think of.

Cons

Changes due to recent acquisitions

Don't over load the staff, it creates burnout that effects employee performance.

Ups and downs, but overall a decent employer.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Rochester General Health System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Not-for-profit. Pensions, 403B. Good pay, large organization, nurse magnet, good reputation. Average vacation/paid time off. Last I checked $3000 a year toward higher education as long as the funds are there and with management approval. 22% off with Verizon. Many other discounts. Patient advocacy is promoted and encouraged. Nursing camaraderie is prevalent; but there are a few eat-your-young nurses and those there for a "free" paycheck. Clinical ladder for higher title (Clin I, Clin II, etc) is available for the conscientious. EMR we use is Epic, also called Care Connect. Many resources available to help do your job and learn. RGHS just became partners with RIT. There are some top notch nurses, doctors, managers, and everything else in between at RGHS. It is a teaching hospital (nurses and doctors) so mentorship, debate/discussion and asking questions is the norm.

Cons

Health insurance is restricted to using ONLY RGHS doctors and isn't very good in the first place (sign of the times, maybe?) with very high premiums and copays. Must use mail order pharmacy or pay out of pocket. Leadership-wise, there is a lack of follow through at the nurse management level and it seems as if there is little accountability when staff collectively bring up concerns about both HR and leadership issues in their department. Some managers do play favorites, but I suppose that is everywhere. That can be extremely stressful to those who keep their nose to the grindstone and keep to the work while there are others who spend the day socializing or delegating. This can create animosity, poor work environments and decreased morale because managers tend to encourage solving problems like that on your own, which is certainly appropriate but only to a certain extent. There is no annual merit increase in wage. Instead there is what they're calling a "spectrum" comparing your experience and what the competitors pay to you are professionally. Where you are on the spectrum determines if you get a wage increase or the amount. Your training GREATLY varies depending on the department. Some training is top notch and in other departments you learn from your mistakes (cringe) but the initial new-hire orientation with the hospital is fantastic.

CEO Mark Clement is a true visionary who has helped lead RGHS through tremendous growth. The future is preventative care with an outpatient focus. The effect the core staff are feeling from the quick growth is the workload increased so much with little or no planning ahead. More positions have to be begged for before hiring begins, after months (or years) of moving toward breaking point. Over the years I have worked in a few departments in both inpatient and outpatient settings. It is unbelievable how differently each experience went for me. I am very proud to be working for RGHS as a whole. The services we offer are quite vast and we carry many different awards and certifications, and earned them. The successes can be contributed to teamwork and lack of silos. That said, It should be evident when a specific department has a high turnover rate that something is amiss and does not follow the RGHS "way." My current manager has been making excuses and always says "it is a challenging department," when actually it isn't any more challenging than the other departments. There is so much room for improvement, but she does not listen to the staff who do the work. The staff have then sent concerns to the higher-ups in the frame of mind where "we want our department to be successful," but again, excuses were made. The burnout is not from the work, but from the frustration stemming from broken processes in place; problem solving attempts without staff input often lead to further problems. I stuck it out because I love my patients and my coworkers. There is a sense of camaraderie where nurses watch out for each other at RGHS. All in all, I like RGHS, but mostly just like being a nurse and having the opportunity to help others. I appreciate change and love that RGHS is trying so hard to provide so many options for the community while staying on track with technology and evidence-based practice.

Ultimately my advice to management is to please bring back the forums where Mark Clement would travel to individual departments. Those were more valuable to the staff than anything.

Good Place to Work

Current Employee - System Engineer in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - System Engineer in Rochester, NY

Pros

Gym facility's, good vacation time.

Cons

IT is pretty stressful and demanding at times.

Patient Financial Services

Former Employee - Business Office Associate in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Business Office Associate in Rochester, NY

I worked at Rochester General Health System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

To be able to help people that are in need and make sure that they are happy and satisfied with the services that they receive

Cons

Management they talk down to there employees and they treat and talk to people with little respect for them but want the employees to treat them with the upmost respect and they don't even deserve it

Pay attention to the people that you are making Supervisors and manager because in Patient Financial Services some of the managers are nasty and are firing people because they say something back to them when they are the ones talking nasty to the employees

Really great benefits and supports, very boring job.

Former Employee - Office Associate in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Office Associate in Rochester, NY

I worked at Rochester General Health System full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Rochester General is a place where you can grow a satisfying career in medicine. I've found HR to be supportive and helpful in evaluating my career goals and options within the company. The health benefits are amazing! Great vacation and sick time as well as insurance benefits. If you are able to invest yourself as an employee you will get a lot back from them.

Cons

The job itself, which was a clerical position, didn't fit my growing interest in human services.

More training and growth opportunities for night an evening staff.