Rock Bottom Restaurants

Updated November 20, 2014
Updated November 20, 2014
3.1

Frank B. Day

Laid back atmosphere, bad communication

Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Rock Bottom Restaurants full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Your co-workers are usually pretty great, management has always been nice and easy to get along with. They understand if you need to change your hours, can't work a shift, etc. pretty much a family setting.

Cons

The store managers have very little power over what they're allowed to change. Also bad communication from management to team members. Upper management (corporate management) is very controlling, usually trying to incorporate some trend a year or two late into the menu. They don't do enough marketing for big events happening at the store.

Make communication between mangers and to staff a priority. It's not okay to forget reservations or over book parties.

Very average

Former Employee - Server/Hostess
    Former Employee - Server/Hostess

I worked at Rock Bottom Restaurants part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Managers are oblivious enough to enable drinking on the job, relatively flexible scheduling.

Cons

Favoritism is rampant, managers turn a blind eye to the faults of those who are brown-nosers. Management truly does not seem to care about the good of the employee and only care about keeping enough people on the floor to avoid having to do any work themselves, rather than letting able servers make the money they deserve.

Having gone through more managers than I have fingers in my 4 years of employment, choose your GM & AGM more wisely. The vast majority of managers I worked with were either on a power trip, or hid out in the office to be on their cell phones the whole day.

I enjoyed my time at Rock Bottom because of the staff, despite the constant changes in corporate strategy & management.

Former Employee - Server in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Server in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Rock Bottom Restaurants full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The staff at my location were great and made the job more enjoyable. It paid my bills for 3 years.

Cons

The management turnover is too frequent. Corporate comes up with new "strategies" every 6 months that are only followed for a week or so. They got rid of vacation pay as soon as I started working there, so the benefits are severely lacking (but that's with every serving job).
    I did see a few people move up the ranks, however, so you can advance if you try hard enough.

Been a great company to work for with people that actually care about the community and other employees as well

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Rock Bottom Restaurants part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great business to work for, fun staff, exciting contests

Cons

Sometimes not getting to voice your opinions on different issues that arise

Rock Bottom

Former Employee - Bartender in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Bartender in Boston, MA

I worked at Rock Bottom Restaurants full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great hourly employees. Really good money.

Cons

No set schedules. Management communication with their staff was poor. Management turnover rate was way too high.

I've been with the company for over 7 years. I constantly kept the best interest of the company in mind at all times. I was a certified trainer and a supervisor whenever management was short staffed. I was also employee of the month numerous times. I really enjoyed working for the company and when I moved across country I planned on continuing to work for the company. It was supposed to be a transfer. I was ensured by my GM and Regional manager that I would have a job with the company when I moved. The new restaurant did not take my transfer for some reason. That's not the way loyal employees should be treated. I picked out my apartment based on the location of my new restaurant and am now job hunting. I shouldn't have to be out of work for over a month.

It was good

Current Employee - Dishwasher in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Dishwasher in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Rock Bottom Restaurants part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Make lots of friends that's the only thing good

Cons

Being a dishwasher is the worst

Give people more hours

Dont be a lifer

Current Employee - Bartender in Orland Park, IL
    Current Employee - Bartender in Orland Park, IL

I have been working at Rock Bottom Restaurants full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule and hours arent horrible. Shifts are short for the amount you bring in.

Cons

Lots of drama of course, and management can be clicky with servers

Don't play favorites, its annoying. Im here to do my job not be your best friend.

Worth a shot

I worked at Rock Bottom Restaurants

Pros

Pleasant staff and managers. Easy environment to exceed.

Cons

The new "corporate culture" is over drilled

There is always room for improvement

Upbeat and fun place to work at.

I have been working at Rock Bottom Restaurants part-time

Pros

Very upbeat environment. Nice personable staff.

Cons

Growth, benefits, work-life balance.

Not so great place to work unless you like to be treated poorly.

I worked at Rock Bottom Restaurants

Pros

The only thing good about working here is the coworkers you meet that have to endure poor management and being treated like work horses along side of you.

Cons

They act like they care about their employees but they really don't at all. They over work their employees without any sort of recognition for the long shifts and hard work put in. Employees are not valued at all. The highest turn over rate I've ever seen at an establishment.

Take the time acknowledge your employees and what they do for the company. The turn over rate might not be so high if people were treated better and not over worked.