Rockdale County School District

3.5
Richard Autry

1. Digital Learning Specialist

I have been working at Rockdale County School District full-time

Pros

Working for the department of education is a rewarding job. With my position, I have the opportunity to teach teachers and students the new technologies that are forever changing and advancing.

Cons

One con would be the lack of funds available. As mentioned above, technologies are forever changing and advancing. Because of this funds can become an issue if wanting to stay up with current technology.

Advice to Management

The only type of advice I can think of would be to provide amble training time when purchasing new software.

2. Leadership Changes Like The Wind

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Rockdale County School District

Pros

Great school calendar that is balanced throughout the year that includes summer break, fall break, Thanksgiving break, Christmas break, Winter break and spring break

Cons

There are little to no opportunities for advancement. School leadership seems to change every two to years with little consistency. High turnover in some schools.

Advice to Management

When new leadership takes place there always seems to be several changes as everyone seems to make an effort to place their stamp of identity on something. Things that have worked in the past were changed and in some instances the old way proved to be much better and was reverted back to.

Teachers are a dispensible commodity.

Former Employee - Teacher in Conyers, GA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Conyers, GA

I worked at Rockdale County School District

Pros

Rockdale is comparable to other districts in the Atlanta area. Teacher salary, benefits, and work load is pretty much the same in Rockdale as in other counties. It is nice to work in a school district/school that consistantly makes AYP.

Cons

The opinions of students and their parents seem to dictate whether a teacher's contract is renewed. Teacher's are nonrenewed, leaving them unemployed because of the statements of a child. Teachers are also nonrenewed because of "budget cuts". I gues this is happening across Georgia.

Advice to Management

Good teachers are not a dispensible commodity and should be treated like the professionals that they are. High turnover rate for teachers and leadership is never good.

5. A good county to work for.

I have been working at Rockdale County School District

Pros

There are many opportunities for professional learning.

Cons

Compensation for the Rockdale County Public School system is not as high as many other Atlanta metro area counties.

Advice to Management

Provide more effective and comprehensive training and models of the standards based classroom.

RSS Feed </> Embed